mata hari ss problem

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Hi, I have a mata hari that is working fine except for one problem.
It has to do with the top right drop target.

When that target is the last one to be knocked down, that target
doesn't score, nor do the targets reset. If that target is one of the
1st knocked down, it does score and the targets will all reset when the
targets are knocked down.

I have looked at all of the solder joints under the targets, and they
all look fine.

Any ideas would really be appreciated!!

Thanks, Brian

Brian...I had a very similar problem with my Mata Hari. It turned out to be
a bad PIA chip. U10 and U11 are both 6820 chips. You can switch the two
chips and see if something different happens. If other odd things happen,
then one or both 6820's are bad. Other bad chips can cause this problem
too...like the 5101 RAM chip at U8. But it's easier to troubleshoot the
6820's first, because you can just switch them...with the power off of
course. Good luck...John

--
FunHouse...Cyclone...Eight Ball...Solar Ride...Silverball Mania...Medieval
Madness :)
<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a mata hari that is working fine except for one problem.
> It has to do with the top right drop target.
>
> When that target is the last one to be knocked down, that target
> doesn't score, nor do the targets reset. If that target is one of the
> 1st knocked down, it does score and the targets will all reset when the
> targets are knocked down.
>
> I have looked at all of the solder joints under the targets, and they
> all look fine.
>
> Any ideas would really be appreciated!!
>
> Thanks, Brian

You most likely have a switch matrix problem- some other switch is blinding
the computer to the top right drop, so the computer never sees it.

Can't hurt to do a quick cleaning and adjustment of the drop target
switches- just to be sure they're making good solid contact, but if you can
duplicate the problem with no variance, then most likely you've got a switch
matrix problem.

Never an easy or quick answer or solution. Best approach would be to check
each switches operation in the switch test (game diagnostics mode) to make
sure each one shows it's proper switch ID# and is working, not stuck closed,
etc.

Also make sure the metal switch leaf blades in the top kickout saucer are
insulated well and not touching the metal coil mounting bracket for that
unit- I have seen these early Bally games develop weird switch problems when
this switch (often not insulated in early games) touches the metal bracket
*and* the coil in the bracket is shorting high voltage to the bracket
(rubbing coil winding wire, etc.)

You may also want to check any of the switches that have a small disc
capacitor on them (like those on the pop bumpers) as these typically go bad
and short out (sometimes intermittently) after all the years and can cause a
switch to report closed all the time, or cause a bumper to not work when
hit, etc.

Also, a shorted diode on a closed switch can foul up the switch matrix- if
you can narrow down the problem to any "suspicious" switch(es), then clip
one leg of the diode and check it for proper operation. (Really a lot of
work to check every single one...)

Lots of other possibilities, too, but the above are usually the best places
to start looking for clues. You may find more tips/hints by checking
www.google.com for past related newsgroup articles, or check at:
www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm to see if there might be any related switch matrix
problem diagnosing info there.

Good luck!