pro or no?

none@no.com (Al) wrote:

>is it really advisable to pay more for the pro edition? What are any solid
>reasons for that? Thanks.

What are you doing with your computer?

You are the only one that can answer that question.

FWIW, here's the MS side by side comparison:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Which gives a side-by-side comparison of the feature differences
between the Home and Pro editions. Look them over, then if you
have any specific questions on an item, ask.
--
OJ III

Al;
Are you referring to Windows XP?
For the typical home user...none since performance and stability are
identical..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
Only pay extra if you can foresee a need for the added features.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:49:15 GMT, Jupiter Jones wrote:

> Only pay extra if you can foresee a need for the added features.

When I was building this box I discovered I could get an OEM version of Pro
for about the same price as a retail version of Home. I went with Pro
because I could (and because I was sure it would be supported for a long
while).

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Al

thanks to everybody. It looks like the Pro version is mainly useful for
networking and/or multi-users.

Why then, does Dell "recommend" it?

<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>Al;
>Are you referring to Windows XP?
>For the typical home user...none since performance and stability are
>identical..
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
>Only pay extra if you can foresee a need for the added features.

Dell "recommends" XP Pro to get more revenue for itself. Why else?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:07:30 GMT, none@no.com (Al) wrote:

>thanks to everybody. It looks like the Pro version is mainly useful for
>networking and/or multi-users.
>
>Why then, does Dell "recommend" it?
>
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:49:15 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
><jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Al;
>>Are you referring to Windows XP?
>>For the typical home user...none since performance and stability are
>>identical..
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
>>Only pay extra if you can foresee a need for the added features.

Al;
Do they give a reason for the recommendation and is the reason on their
website?
Or is the suggestion from the sales rep who stands to increase the
commission?

--

> thanks to everybody. It looks like the Pro version is mainly useful for
> networking and/or multi-users.
>
> Why then, does Dell "recommend" it?
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:49:15 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
> <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Al;
>>Are you referring to Windows XP?
>>For the typical home user...none since performance and stability are
>>identical..
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
>>Only pay extra if you can foresee a need for the added features.

Al

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:32:34 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>Al;
>Do they give a reason for the recommendation and is the reason on their
>website?
>Or is the suggestion from the sales rep who stands to increase the
>commission?

throughout the ordering process on the website, certain items are highlighted
and marked as "Dell recommended". No reason is given for any of them.
Normally, I wouldn't have paid much attention to the recommendation for the
Pro version - except that back when XP debuted, I'd read many places where
people were saying the same thing. So I asked here.

I wonder what Dell's markup is on the OS?

Al wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:32:34 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
> <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
> >Al;
> >Do they give a reason for the recommendation and is the reason on their
> >website?
> >Or is the suggestion from the sales rep who stands to increase the
> >commission?
>
> throughout the ordering process on the website, certain items are highlighted
> and marked as "Dell recommended". No reason is given for any of them.
> Normally, I wouldn't have paid much attention to the recommendation for the
> Pro version - except that back when XP debuted, I'd read many places where
> people were saying the same thing. So I asked here.
>
> I wonder what Dell's markup is on the OS?

Check the ads in most computer magazines... They all recommend Pro!

Notan

Al

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:40:20 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Check the ads in most computer magazines... They all recommend Pro!

I guess it's the same strategy as on the box itself, then. Bring the basic
model in on a low price, and try to hook the customer with the add-ons and
upgrades - where the real gravy is...

Thanks to all for the heads up. If I build, I might just stick with 98.

Al wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:40:20 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >Check the ads in most computer magazines... They all recommend Pro!
>
> I guess it's the same strategy as on the box itself, then. Bring the basic
> model in on a low price, and try to hook the customer with the add-ons and
> upgrades - where the real gravy is...
>
> Thanks to all for the heads up. If I build, I might just stick with 98.

From a stability, resource, etc. standpoint, don't even think about 98!

Notan

none@no.com (Al) wrote:

>Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>>Check the ads in most computer magazines... They all recommend Pro!

>I guess it's the same strategy as on the box itself, then. Bring the basic
>model in on a low price, and try to hook the customer with the add-ons and
>upgrades - where the real gravy is...
>
>Thanks to all for the heads up. If I build, I might just stick with 98.

I was a die-hard Win98SE user too, and didn't abandon it until I
had to with the purchase of my D4400 in May of 2002. After
two-plus years of using XPPro, you couldn't force me to use
Win98SE at gunpoint.

I went Pro specifically [Home was default on the D4400] because
of the possibility of needing to join my home network to a domain
at a client's facility where we had an on-site presence. [And
secondly, because our company had standardized on XPPro.]
Although I've never needed to use them, there are several other
features in Pro whose presence is appreciated.
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
> none@no.com (Al) wrote:
>

>>is it really advisable to pay more for the pro edition? What are any solid
>>reasons for that? Thanks.
>

> What are you doing with your computer?
>
> You are the only one that can answer that question.
>
> FWIW, here's the MS side by side comparison:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
>
> Which gives a side-by-side comparison of the feature differences
> between the Home and Pro editions. Look them over, then if you
> have any specific questions on an item, ask.

Pro is needed for a few reasons

#1. You need to join a Windows domain. I run a domain in my house
(becuase I am a systems admin), so I need pro

#2. You want the remote desktop feature. My wife and I use this daily.
I run some things on my computer and some things on hers, but they are
on different floors of my house, so it is nice to make the remote
connection. I also use this feature to connect remotely from work to my
home computers for testing.

If you don't need eitehr of these features, you can usually just go with
XP Home or Media Center Edition.

"Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote in message

> If you don't need eitehr of these features, you can usually just go with
> XP Home or Media Center Edition.

I don't care about domains, but I DO use Remote Desktop every day. Windows
MCE DOES support Remote Desktop, which leads me to believe it is based on
Pro not Home. I suspect it can do domains too.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote in message
>

>>If you don't need eitehr of these features, you can usually just go with
>>XP Home or Media Center Edition.
>

> I don't care about domains, but I DO use Remote Desktop every day. Windows
> MCE DOES support Remote Desktop, which leads me to believe it is based on
> Pro not Home. I suspect it can do domains too.
>
> Tom

While remote desktop is indeed supported in XP Media Center Edition, it
CANNOT join a domain according to this MS FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>If you don't need eitehr of these features, you can usually just go with
>>>XP Home or Media Center Edition.
>>

>> I don't care about domains, but I DO use Remote Desktop every day.
>> Windows MCE DOES support Remote Desktop, which leads me to believe it is
>> based on Pro not Home. I suspect it can do domains too.
>>
>> Tom
> While remote desktop is indeed supported in XP Media Center Edition, it
> CANNOT join a domain according to this MS FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

Interesting...

SL

XP pro allows you to log into domains - XP home does not