High Speed or The Getaway?

>I know it's been asked before.... but which one and why?

All the fun of the original, better sound, cool DMD, way cool
supercharger (even more so when 3 balls are going around in it).

Kirb

Both, you cant have one without the other, if you dont want them both,
then dont buy them, buy an indy 500....I say buy them both, they go
together like cheese on a burger, ketchup on some fries....like novus
on a playfield...quit hesitating and procrastinating and BUY THEM
BOTH......

brivy

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

Vince,
Kinda easy ,Newer, Faster , DPed PFs & DMD with a SuperCharger to
boot,,HS2 by a long ways !!

PS, knowing you, You're going to re-decal & CC it anyway =)

I Envy your collection !!

Pin-Del,

I guess it's a similar dilema as Black Knight vs BK 2000. I've got
Black Knight because it's the original. That said, though, I agree
with the folks that have replied in favor of The Getaway being the
better choice. A few notes:

- I'm not a fan of the original's backglass art, and The Getaway's
translite is pretty darn cool.

- The Getaway's supercharger is neat at first, in an arcade, or in
someone elses house. However, IMO, its novelty wears off quickly if
you own it.

- Getaway has great sound. IMO, this is one of its strongest features.
I'm not a ZZ Top fan, but I still like the music.

- Getaway's DMD is nice, but its video mode is pretty darn cheesy.

- Both are classic Ritchie layouts and have nice flow. Getaway's
layout reminds me of Rollergames in many ways.

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

I grew up on ZZ Top & Only "Party-Animal " comes close to what I like ,
I think the "Tunes" are Great for a guy fixing to turn 45 =)

Pin-Del,
Who is Deaf & still can Play "Le-Grange" on my Guitar

Depends on your preference of games. G*taway seems to be more of a high
tech pinball. To me it is a lot more fun then H*gh Sp**d, but I prefer the
later made games. -Mike
"PinMan" <vbirdsley@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> I know it's been asked before.... but which one and why?

The original is best, but hard to find in nice
shape these days. Great, fun reliable game.

HSII is bleh. ZZ Top rift is cool, toy is cool........

........for about 2 weeks.

Hard too keep clean because of all the
metal ramps.

--
Fred
TX

"PinMan" <vbirdsley@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:kEHye.135793$xm3.45510@attbi_s21...
> I know it's been asked before.... but which one and why?

Ditto

I've had both. Sold the HS. Go with the HS2

"kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I know it's been asked before.... but which one and why?
>
> All the fun of the original, better sound, cool DMD, way cool
> supercharger (even more so when 3 balls are going around in it).
>
> Kirb

Ok, I'll bite, if any one has a highspeed in the Markham Ontario area, I am
interested.!! (or a cyclone)
<brivy37@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Both, you cant have one without the other, if you dont want them both,
> then dont buy them, buy an indy 500....I say buy them both, they go
> together like cheese on a burger, ketchup on some fries....like novus
> on a playfield...quit hesitating and procrastinating and BUY THEM
> BOTH......
>
> brivy

We're still stuck on you looking at Manuel in some book. LTG :)

"Del" <delmail333@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, Spell checkers !
> I did it again !!, You guys getting SLOW ??,,, lol
>
> Pin-Del,

Andy

I had a HS and two HS2's. Different eras, different games. Love them both.
HS is what peeked my interest in pins and now, years and games later....
Anyway, HS2 - The music and dots are good. I think the video mode is ok, I
mean, hell, its easy - and if you toss it in 5th gear and kick the game's
ass, it kind of liberates 'ya + plus you get the max bonus. While people
will complain that the software isn't too deep - the game is fun. It is a
lot of fun. It is worth the price they command these days, and with decals
available and a decent sized shop, anything (with some patience) is
possible. Oh, and there is an ester egg in the lock sequence. Anybody know
the secret?

Andy

Andy wrote:
> I believe the sequence for secret mania IIRC is down, up, down, up, down,
> up - right before the police car takes off from the donut shop. Neat little
> trick. Its been a while so it might be reversed - give it a try.

Nope. All you have to do is shift three times. I usually shift
up-up-up IF I'm going for it.

Note the IF.

Secret Mania, IMHO, is a gigantic waste of time. The points are
peanuts, and you don't advance ANY game objectives (locks, RPMs nor
gears) while you're in it. Red line mania is far more lucrative, and
sounds way better IMHO.

(It's kind of like Sh*dow's laughing duck mode; cool for a trick, but
if you're playing for real, skip it.)

Fred Kemper wrote:
> The original is best, but hard to find in nice
> shape these days. Great, fun reliable game.
>
> HSII is bleh. ZZ Top rift is cool, toy is cool........
>
> .......for about 2 weeks.
>
> Hard too keep clean because of all the
> metal ramps.

Gotta agree with Fred here. As a music fan, the pinball strikes me as
an abomination. (Same with TZ.)

Andy wrote:
> >As a music fan, the pinball strikes me as an abomination.
>
> We are talking about the same Korn that put a coupld amps in a BK2K right?

The very same!

> The only game with music more annoying than that one is my new rollergames.

To each his own. I own a rollergames as well. :)

> Anybody have any rom hacks that remove the speech in the rollergames song?
> The match music is real cool but that rock, rock, rock and rollergames over
> and over. Sheesh. Reminds me a lot of "You can do it you can do it." Ugh.

Here's _why_ I don't like HS2 and TZ's music... Maybe it'll make more
sense:

http://tinyurl.com/8rhh7

-or-

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/1b6bc4685d2c5887/4b8a0c336388a236?q=thekorn+zztop+original+group:rec.games.pinball&rnum=1&hl=en#4b8a0c336388a236

The Easter Egg is 3 Cop Cars at Donut Heaven and during the sequence play
with the Shifter (Up & Down), am I right??

Kevin

"PinMan" wrote:
> I know it's been asked before.... but which one

Either one.

> and why?

Because you like it the best!

Seriously- you'll get a lot of opinion and can probably take a vote as to
which one "everone else" likes. In the end, go with the one you like the
best and/or are most comfortable with.

My personal opinion: I don't like High Speed. I think the rules and
gameplay are more straightforward and understandable and more exciting on
Getaway. High Speed is older, Getaway is much newer (modern WPC system).
So you have the "old age" factor to deal with. You get more bells and
whistles in Getaway- dot matrix display, better sound system, Diamondplate
playfield, video mode, Supercharger, etc.

I also have a persistent grudge against High Speed games- bascially I've had
an inordinate amount of horrible bad luck and nightmarish problems & repairs
with most of them that I've had to deal with. In my opinion, based on my
experiences with HS games- it's a "lemon" of a game, and I avoid them
whenever possible. Probably just bad karma between me and High Speed, but
man- I do not like that game....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"BWAGNER5150" wrote:
> I guess it's a similar dilema as Black Knight vs BK 2000. I've got
> Black Knight because it's the original.

I have both- BK is one of my top favorites- mostly nostalgia. But playing
BK after playing BK2K makes BK seem like it's slow and a bit boring. BK2K
is definitely a faster paced game. Playfield layout is quite a bit
different, too, between BK and BK2K, whereas HS and Getaway are considerably
more similar. So HS and HS2 may easily be considered as 2 different
versions of the same game, but BK and BK2K are quite different- I don't
think anyone could say they're 2 different versions of the same game in that
case....

Just some errant thoughts...
;)
Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

I would take a H S over a H S 2. There's just something about that
game. They are both good games though, anyone would have to play both
of them before deciding.

Wade

I like HS better than the sequal. It's kind of strange that 2
playfields that look very similar can play so much differently. I'm
not even 100% sure why I'm partial to the original. It could because
of the simplicity (I'm pretty simple - KISS). I think because it just
feels like a more solid game, as in construction (not ruleset). WPC
games were the first step towards what new Stern 'toy' pinball machines
are today. I just don't understand why someone would pay $4G's for a
'new' machine, when you could be buying 4-8 classic machines for the
same loot. Just my opinion.

-Gregg

The sound on HS1 is far, far superior in my opinion, though anyone who
gets their rocks off hearing what sounds like a very, very bad DEVO
cover of a ZZ Top song will probably beg to differ.

Both games are light on shots Hs2 also has a very satisfying ramp shot,
which in my opinion the sequel lacks. Neither are the best looking
games but I prefer the original game's art as well.

Price - HS will save you probably only a few hundred bucks over the
sequel, since most are beat and the nice ones are commanding decent
prices.

I'm not a huge fan of either machine (owned both) but I prefer the
original. It's got a much more light-hearted touch than it's
heavy-handed sibling, and it certainly has more charm. It's also got
THREE spinners (vs. zero) and that counts for something. If you care it
does NOT have a DMD, but that also means it doesn't have the worthless
flow-killing video mode either.

Andy