Windows 7 permissions over lan

Salemu

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hello,
Windows 7 Files Access Denied

I have a LAN with four computers connected, a desktop running Windows 7, a desktop running XP, a Notebook running XP and a desktop running Windows 98. All computers can see the other three on the network and all computers are in the same workgroup. All the computers can read files on the other computers with the exception that Windows 7 denies Access Permission to the other three. Windows 7 can read all the others but will not allow the others to read it. All permissions that I am aware of have been set on the Windows 7 files.
None of the computers or networks have passwords because they are all in-house.
What am I missing to make Windows 7 play nice?

Solution
G
Check the folders NTFS permissions in the folder/file security tab. Even if the everyone group has full permissions on the share - NTFS permissions can produce an access denied if they are more restrictive than the share permissions .i.e in this case No Access - Or it could be assigned groups and users

For example:

Folder1 {Share permissions Read/Write} - {NTFS permissions Read} then the user will only get read as the most restrictive permissions apply.

If this is a home network and you don't mind everyone getting to the folders then I would just add "Authenticated Users" - Modify - to the NTFS permissions.

Salemu

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Go through this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

Thank you for the quick response. I have viewed the video and all steps have been followed, but no joy. When I view the Win7 shared files from the XP I can see all the shared folders, including the shared printers. When I click on a shared folder I get the message, “\\Win7 ComputerName\FolderName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator (me) of this server to find out if you have access permissions.”
I can however print over the network from the XP to the shared Win7 printer. The stubborn OS is Windows 7 PRO 64-bit with SP1, if that should make a difference.
At least READ, Advanced Sharing, Share Permissions, for Group or User names “Everyone” have been set for all the shared folders. The network connection seems to be OK since I can see folders and print over the network. Only the read permission of the folder contents is blocked. Any additional suggestions?

G

Check the folders NTFS permissions in the folder/file security tab. Even if the everyone group has full permissions on the share - NTFS permissions can produce an access denied if they are more restrictive than the share permissions .i.e in this case No Access - Or it could be assigned groups and users

For example:

Folder1 {Share permissions Read/Write} - {NTFS permissions Read} then the user will only get read as the most restrictive permissions apply.

If this is a home network and you don't mind everyone getting to the folders then I would just add "Authenticated Users" - Modify - to the NTFS permissions.

Solution

Salemu

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I now can access my Windows 7 files over my LAN. My default Share permissions were given to the Everyone Group which did not exist in the Security/NTFS permissions. I added the Everyone Group to the Security/NTFS Permissions and now my other LAN Computers can access my selected Windows 7 files.
Now I have to determine who/what are the members of the Everyone Group and whether I should change it to something else that only includes my LAN and MS Networks Workgroup members.

G

Strangely, thanks to MS, the membership of the Everyone group depends on the OS, in Windows 2000 and XP (Pre SP2) it included anonymous and guest access (which isn't really something you want to give). From Windows 2003 and XP-SP2 it does not include guest or anonymous.