LCD on 5160 will turn white, red, green, blue etc.

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 5160 for a few weeks now and the LCD doesn't work
anymore. As soon as I turn it on the display shows a screen in one
color which alternates from fully gray to white to black to red to green
to blue and to gray again...
The external monitor works normally though.

What is wrong and how can I fix it ?
I prefer not to send it back to Dell because I need the laptop for work
but if there is no other option.....

Thanks,

Ralph.

The screen needs to be replaced. If you can't afford to be without the
system, call Dell Customer Support and upgrade to an onsite warranty
before you place the service call.

Ralph van Etten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Inspiron 5160 for a few weeks now and the LCD doesn't work
> anymore. As soon as I turn it on the display shows a screen in one
> color which alternates from fully gray to white to black to red to green
> to blue and to gray again...
> The external monitor works normally though.
>
> What is wrong and how can I fix it ?
> I prefer not to send it back to Dell because I need the laptop for work
> but if there is no other option.....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph.

Ralph
have you tried using the supplied Dell hardware diags yet ? Suggest this may
be worth a go as it may confirm if you have a true h/w problem or perhaps
some weird graphics driver problem. Having said that it sounds odd that an
external monitor is ok which could suggest some connectivity issue between
the graphics card and the laptop screen. If the diags say ok, then I guess
you stand a chance of sorting it out by reload of the driver or perhaps an
o/s reload as last resort before asking for a replacement under warranty.

good luck
Dave

"Ralph van Etten" <r30_at_et10_dot_org@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Inspiron 5160 for a few weeks now and the LCD doesn't work
> anymore. As soon as I turn it on the display shows a screen in one
> color which alternates from fully gray to white to black to red to green
> to blue and to gray again...
> The external monitor works normally though.
>
> What is wrong and how can I fix it ?
> I prefer not to send it back to Dell because I need the laptop for work
> but if there is no other option.....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:46:53 +0000, View From The Hill wrote:

Hi,

> have you tried using the supplied Dell hardware diags yet ? Suggest this may
> be worth a go as it may confirm if you have a true h/w problem or perhaps
> some weird graphics driver problem.

Yes, tried that. All tests where completed successfully. (With the
external monitor for the graphics tests.)

> Having said that it sounds odd that an
> external monitor is ok which could suggest some connectivity issue
> between the graphics card and the laptop screen. If the diags say ok,
> then I guess you stand a chance of sorting it out by reload of the
> driver or perhaps an o/s reload as last resort before asking for a
> replacement under warranty.

Dell support finally replied (after 5 days...) and they suggested
reseating the LCD display connector. Tried that, didn't work....
So i'm afraid it needs replacement...

Thanks anyway,

Ralph.