Vostro 400- Added ram, now freezes and reboots with bsod

irootphones

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I have a Vostro 400 that is running Win 7 64 bit ultimate and has 2x1gb ddr2 PC6400 Nanya ram 6-6-6-18. I added 2x2gb GSkill ddr2 PC6400 5-5-5-15 (6gb total now) and updated a couple drivers via Driver Genius. Things ran fine for about a day and now the computer freezes and restarts under load. I can boot into safe mode and it runs fine. I haven't found much info from searching whether it is because of the difference in ram or if it could be a driver issue. I updated the chipset driver, network driver, and a couple other misc drivers.

Things I have tried :
1. Ran MemTest86 and everything went well.
2. Ran anti virus and spyware, came up clean.
3. Removed the new ram so I was back at the stock 2gb - still froze and restarted
4. Removed stock ram and installed the GSkill 2x2gb - still froze and restarted
5. Made sure I installed the ram correctly (2x1gb in slot 1 & 3 and 2x2gb in 2 &4)

I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Not a good idea to do any driver updates from Driver Genius, you don't know what your getting and the best way is to go to the manufacturers web page of the different parts that need drivers and get them seperately. It takes a little longer but you get the right drivers.
You can also go to the Dell support page and enter your service tag and update the drivers you need from the Dell site.

You can try a system restore to see if that helps you with the freezing.

You also want to be careful with adding ram as you do want to match what you have and what your motherboard will accept.

irootphones

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Yea, I normally use my service tag on the dell website and have already started to remove the drivers that Driver Genius installed, so hopefully all goes well. Thank you for your quick response.