Sign in with
Your question

Hot swap drive on a HP Proliant DL380 G4

Last response: in Computer Brands
January 13, 2013 2:40:58 PM

Hi all,

My wife and I have been volunteerting at the local church and one of the charities that it supports. Anyway, I have been helping them with some web development and some pc support but have a question about their one (and only!) server.

They managed to procure a second-hand HP Proliant DL380 G4 a couple of years ago, which works well. I was in today and was having a look and noticed that one of the drives has an amber/red light on the third led which means the drive has failed (if I am correct). On looking around, they managed to procure 2 extra SCSI drives for the server (not attached, still boxed) and I was planning on 'hot-swapping' it today for them but have a couple of questions.

From the documents that the engineer who set it up wrote up, it seems that the 2 attached drives are in a RAID (I'm guessing RAID 1). Am I correct in thinking that I can simply hot-swap the drives and the RAID array software will start rebuilding the drive ? If so, am I correct in thinking that it's best to do this with the system up and running as if I shut the machine down, change it and then try and boot the RAID software will get confused and it won't boot ?

I should also say that the server is running Linux, and my knowledge of Linux doesn't extend to server rebuilds! :D 

Thanks for any help. Kind regards.

Paul
a b α HP
January 13, 2013 7:21:33 PM

Tangfastic said:
...(I'm guessing RAID 1). Am I correct in thinking that I can simply hot-swap the drives and the RAID array software will start rebuilding the drive ? If so, am I correct in thinking that it's best to do this with the system up and running ...

That would be my approach, that is afterall the whole advantage to the hotswap configuration there.
Good luck
January 13, 2013 8:50:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, C12Friedman. I shall swing by on my way home from work on Tuesday evening to change. Fingers crossed I don't break the darned thing!

Many thanks once again.

Paul
a b α HP
January 14, 2013 12:20:06 PM

I am assuming all went well but just wanted to follow up...
!