I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
with my product key?

yup
--
cabogy

"jmeesocal" wrote:

> I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
> do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
> with my product key?

Is your friend's Windows XP CD the identical version of your original CD?
If it is, you can use it. If it is not, you cannot use it as your Product Key will
not work with it.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

jmeesocal wrote:
> I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
> do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
> with my product key?

If your friend has the same version and type of license as you do, yes.
Otherwise, no.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice
versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD,
and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

To replace the missing CD, if it was a retail license and you have
proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: