Re installing Windows XP Pro

I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
with my product key?
3 answers Last reply
More about installing windows

    yup
    --
    cabogy

    "jmeesocal" wrote:

    > I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
    > do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
    > with my product key?

    Is your friend's Windows XP CD the identical version of your original CD?
    If it is, you can use it. If it is not, you cannot use it as your Product Key will
    not work with it.

    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    jmeesocal wrote:
    > I want to due a fresh install of Windows XP Pro but I don't have my disc. I
    > do have my Product Key attached to my computer. Can I use a friends XP disc
    > with my product key?

    If your friend has the same version and type of license as you do, yes.
    Otherwise, no.

    Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
    CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
    purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
    retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice
    versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD,
    and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

    To replace the missing CD, if it was a retail license and you have
    proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: