hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have an XP pro machine that takes forever to release memory. I have
several applications that when they need over 100 MB seem to hang the
system, when I open task manager I can literally watch the memory count
slowly back down to zero. Is there anyway to solve this problem.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Frist, how much RAM do you have installed in your PC? XP Pro can handle 4GB
of RAM max.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP pro machine that takes forever to release memory. I have
>several applications that when they need over 100 MB seem to hang the
>system, when I open task manager I can literally watch the memory count
>slowly back down to zero. Is there anyway to solve this problem.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What memory count are you watching decrement to Zero ?
Which applications ? How much physical memory does your
system have available to it ?

Your issue(s) may be more related to the applications than
the OS. XP's memory management handles almost every kind
of loading very well. As far as I know, there is only a single
tweak that modifies relinquishing memory after the program.
It's a memory management key AlwaysUnloadDLL - but I
doubt that it would resolve your issue.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP pro machine that takes forever to release memory. I have
>several applications that when they need over 100 MB seem to hang the
>system, when I open task manager I can literally watch the memory count
>slowly back down to zero. Is there anyway to solve this problem.

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The memory I am seeing slowly count down is in the TASK MANAGER -
PROCESSES - Mem Usage

The two applications that have been giving me problems are visual basic 6.0
in debug mode (Hooked into MapPoint) when I stop a running debug and Adobe
Acrobat when I open large pdf files. Both seem to bring the system to a
crawl and I need to use the Task Manager to end the process tree.

My current system has 512 MB RAM but most of the applications causing the
problems are releasing 100-200 MB

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You don't actually know a tweak as it only applies to windows earlier than 2000 - NT4, Win95 and 98. And it only applied to explorer.

Unloading the DLL
The Shell automatically unloads a DLL when its usage count is zero, but only after the DLL has not been used for a period of time. This inactive period might be unacceptably long at times, especially when a Shell extension DLL is being debugged. For operating systems prior to Windows 2000, you can shorten the inactive period by adding the following information to the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows