"Runner" error

Recently I was plagued with spyware and was ultimately able to wipe most of
it out. One of my spycheckers recognized an application called "Backweb" as
spyware. (I've since come to find out that this may be software that comes
with HP computers for reporting information back. Hence, it fits the
description). Even though it (apparently) prevents the spyware from running,
I still have a bit of legacy in that it TRIES to run it. The error I get is
"Runner Error - Invalid Backweb application ID "137903". I looked through
regedit and found a bunch of instances of Backweb. But it occurred to me I
could either try to eliminate all of those or just found out what's making
the "Runner" call. If that can be tracked down - or is some specific XP call
- I figure I can eliminate it. I see nothing obvious in Startup. Any
thoughts?
2 answers Last reply
More about runner error

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Runner+Error+-+Invalid+Backweb+application+ID+137903&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FD4D9566-17E9-4A05-A8BB-7D65F5EFCCE5@microsoft.com,
    jpas1954 <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Recently I was plagued with spyware and was ultimately able to wipe most
    > of it out. One of my spycheckers recognized an application called
    > "Backweb" as spyware. (I've since come to find out that this may be
    > software that comes with HP computers for reporting information back.
    > Hence, it fits the description). Even though it (apparently) prevents the
    > spyware from running, I still have a bit of legacy in that it TRIES to
    > run it. The error I get is "Runner Error - Invalid Backweb application ID
    > "137903". I looked through regedit and found a bunch of instances of
    > Backweb. But it occurred to me I could either try to eliminate all of
    > those or just found out what's making the "Runner" call. If that can be
    > tracked down - or is some specific XP call - I figure I can eliminate it.
    > I see nothing obvious in Startup. Any thoughts?

    You have to scan your system with latest version of Spybot,search and
    destroy,CWShredder as well as with adaware.Run all of them in safe mode.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    jpas1954 wrote:

    > Recently I was plagued with spyware and was ultimately able to wipe most of
    > it out. One of my spycheckers recognized an application called "Backweb" as
    > spyware. (I've since come to find out that this may be software that comes
    > with HP computers for reporting information back. Hence, it fits the
    > description). Even though it (apparently) prevents the spyware from running,
    > I still have a bit of legacy in that it TRIES to run it. The error I get is
    > "Runner Error - Invalid Backweb application ID "137903". I looked through
    > regedit and found a bunch of instances of Backweb. But it occurred to me I
    > could either try to eliminate all of those or just found out what's making
    > the "Runner" call. If that can be tracked down - or is some specific XP call
    > - I figure I can eliminate it. I see nothing obvious in Startup. Any
    > thoughts?

Spyware Windows XP