"Runner" error

August 18, 2005 3:45:53 PM

Recently I was plagued with spyware and was ultimately able to wipe most of
it out. One of my spycheckers recognized an application called "Backweb" as
spyware. (I've since come to find out that this may be software that comes
with HP computers for reporting information back. Hence, it fits the
description). Even though it (apparently) prevents the spyware from running,
I still have a bit of legacy in that it TRIES to run it. The error I get is
"Runner Error - Invalid Backweb application ID "137903". I looked through
regedit and found a bunch of instances of Backweb. But it occurred to me I
could either try to eliminate all of those or just found out what's making
the "Runner" call. If that can be tracked down - or is some specific XP call
- I figure I can eliminate it. I see nothing obvious in Startup. Any
thoughts?

More about : runner error

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:41:41 PM

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Go...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FD4D9566-17E9-4A05-A8BB-7D65F5EFCCE5@microsoft.com,
jpas1954 <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Recently I was plagued with spyware and was ultimately able to wipe most
> of it out. One of my spycheckers recognized an application called
> "Backweb" as spyware. (I've since come to find out that this may be
> software that comes with HP computers for reporting information back.
> Hence, it fits the description). Even though it (apparently) prevents the
> spyware from running, I still have a bit of legacy in that it TRIES to
> run it. The error I get is "Runner Error - Invalid Backweb application ID
> "137903". I looked through regedit and found a bunch of instances of
> Backweb. But it occurred to me I could either try to eliminate all of
> those or just found out what's making the "Runner" call. If that can be
> tracked down - or is some specific XP call - I figure I can eliminate it.
> I see nothing obvious in Startup. Any thoughts?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:24:54 AM

You have to scan your system with latest version of Spybot,search and
destroy,CWShredder as well as with adaware.Run all of them in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

!