hyper-threading issues

keawe34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Ok I'm having some tech issues here and I was hoping this board could help me. First off, I have the 2.8 p4 with HT and 800 FSB, the Gigabyte 8KNXP, and a gig of matched TwinX Corsair PC3200 400Mhz 2 x 512, and a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra AGP 8x nvidia vid card, and 420 watt power supply. When I first installed everything I was getting physical memory dumps so i replaced the hard drive and the RAM, then I started getting random restarts and one physical memory dump, so I replaced the RAM again. I was also getting random error messages for windows programs such as CCAPP.exe, iexplore.exe and others shutting off for no reason, then when i restart the programs that were shutting off would work fine. I've talked to a tech support person at my local computer store and they've said that they couldn't get any motherboard with any HT processor to be stable for long, but then I see the reviews on here and everything's supposed to be fine. And another salesperson told me that the 400Mhz wasn't as stable as the 333 yet and to wait on the 400. I'm seriously at a loss and wonder if anyone can give me good advice about what to do next. Thank you for your time and replies.

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Do you have all of the Updates and SP1 (if you are using WinXP). And all of the current drivers for everything

I use to get what you are talking about when i was using a Pny Video Card. Its definetly not because the FSB is not stable because Intel would have not released a product that could easily seen errors like you are describing.

If all else fails do a backup and then give that HD a good old format.

Anyone else have ideas?

Mike

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I've talked to a tech support person at my local computer store and they've said that they couldn't get any motherboard with any HT processor to be stable for long,"

Wanna mention the name of the store,... They seem to be retarded.

I have setup countless HT machines and yet to experiance a problem that is associated to the HT processor. What you are describing is a "infinite loop" problem that is associated with that video card. By some wierd chance are you running a flat panel display on the non-dvi connector?? If so get a DVI adapter and all will be fine. Sounds strange but it is a known issue with Nvidia cards.

Another possible cause is in "device manager" in the control panels. Open up "Computer" tab and make sure it is set for a "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

I would avoid that local computer store for tech support in the future.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
"...Intel would never released..."
Yes they would, remember the 820chipset, or the 1.13ghz PIII CPU? Anyway, could be the Mobo, the CPU or the PSU! Since you have bought the stuff recently send it back and let the store do the fixing!

GL

Turk

PS just an idea but have you tried shuting of HP in BIOS and/or using just a singel memorystick to check?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
i820 worked perfectly (perfectly slowely) with RDRAM, it was when YOU insisted on SDRAM that everything went haywire.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
maybe those were mistakes, but by now, more than a month later, if things looked SO bad, Intel would have done something. The 1.13Ghz, for example, was taken out of circulation. So take it easy... I don't think that it's a general "P4+HT+DDR400+800MhzFSB" issue. It can't be - or is at the very least highly unlikely at this point.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i820 worked perfectly (perfectly slowely) with RDRAM, it was when YOU insisted on SDRAM that everything went haywire.
Exactly. It was the MTH (Memory Translator Hub I believe) that was the culprit that was added so that SDRAM could pretend to be RDRAM. The i820 chipset itself was perfectly fine.

And if you want to get even more technical, the MTH itself was also perfectly fine. The flaw was that many of the 3rd party motherboard manufacturers couldn't have been bothered to follow the specifications to the letter when they designed motherboards using the MTH. The result was that in some <i>very rare</i> cases the signals to and from the MTH were corrupted.

Since there was no simple way to actually identify which motherboards would end up with possibly corrupt signals and which ones would never experience any problems a recall on <i>any</i> product using the MTH was issued by Intel.

And all considered it was darn nice of Intel to shoulder that burden since it wasn't even Intel's fault that some of the 3rd party manufacturers just simply couldn't follow specs. It <i>should</i> have been those 3rd party manufacturers to do the recall, but Intel knew that some of them were just cheap jerks and wouldn't do it. So for the sake of the customers Intel did it for them.

That's the true sad story of the i820. So many people out of ignorance think that it was a mistake made by Intel, when in fact Intel themselves did everything right and the mistake was made by a minority of 3rd party manufacturers. And even then, Intel stepped up to shoulder the burden on the recall because they knew that not all of the 3rd party manufacturers would. So Intel went out of their way to help customers and took a considerable loss on a product for reasons that weren't even their fault. Yet to this day people still look down on Intel for having cleaned up other people's mistakes in the best interest of the customer at cost to themself.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel didn't do the responsible thing because they wanted to, they did it to maintain their reputation! They aren't VIA, they're Intel, people actually make purchasing decisions based on that reputation!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Intel didn't do the responsible thing because they wanted to, they did it to maintain their reputation! They aren't VIA, they're Intel, people actually make purchasing decisions based on that reputation!
Exactly. :) Though in this particular case I'd imagine that what Intel wanted to do was to maintain their reputation, so they did it both because they wanted to and to protect their reputation, since they both amount to the same thing. ;)

But that's my point. Hell, VIA has had known problems in their chipset drivers (some people would say even in their chipsets themselves) and wouldn't admit that it was their fault and wouldn't recall the fault products even though it was completely provable that it was completely and totally VIA's fault.

And then there's Intel, who recalls a product not because of their mistake but because some crappy 3rd party manus couldn't be bothered to follow specs and Intel doesn't want <i>any</i> flaky mobos related to the name Intel.

Intel is trustworthy because they go out of their way to make sure that their customers can run anything with the Intel name, whether it was produced by Intel or a 3rd party manu.

VIA isn't trustworthy because you can flat out prove that <i>they</i> made a flaw in one of their products and that <i>all</i> products based on that product will contain this very flaw and VIA still won't even admit that they have a problem, not to mention actually take responsibility for it.

That's why I don't support VIA. With so many other options there's just no reason to even bother with VIA.

And that's why I do support companies like Intel, because if you buy an Intel product, you can be sure that on the very slim chance that it doesn't work right, you <i>will</i> be able to get it fixed, replaced, or refunded. There simply is no such thing as an Intel product owner being stuck with a faulty part from Intel. (At least as long as it still has a waranty.) That's a damn good reputation to have.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
wow, i had never heard of this before. but then i had never heard of the i820 either. i had always thot INTEL was over-rated (forgive my ignorance). i wud always say to myself, why wudnt ppl go in for a AMD solution even when they are very price concious. But now, tnx 2 u guys, i guess i have to admit that INTEL deserves it. hmmm. so my next upgrade shud definitely be an INTEL :smile: ha ha ha

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
so my next upgrade shud definitely be an INTEL
Well I doubt that you would be disappointed with such an upgrade, however I really don't suggest that people upgrade based on just that.

AMD themselves have done pretty well too, and now that nVidia is making AMD-based motherboards you no longer are stuck with a VIA chipset (or worse) for an AMD motherboard.

Really I still support the method that people just making a educated purchases based on what best meets your needs. For some people that need is low cost. For some it's absolute dependability. For some it's performance.

If people want to support a company just for liking a company then they should buy that company's stocks. :)

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Taking credit for people jumping me when I jumped you? Not fair! :mad:

Anyhow this discusion is way out. How's all this helping the original poster and his hardwareproblems? Sorry for asking (even more sorry I did'nt post anything that helps him) but we ought to concentrate on that instead of a general discusion of which company does what.

Turk

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
The day that a thread stays on topic for more than one page is the day that the intenet collapses.

<font color=red>Now that I am running RAID 5 I find myself praying for a hard drive failure.</font color=red>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
My thoughts exactly. :smile:

Anyway, Turk, it's just that you said something that needed to be cleared up...

And slvr_phoenix, as always, your posts are certainly some of the most informative and best in this forum, as far as I'm concerned! :smile:

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
u said it dude. Myself, i am content with AMD. Its the most logical solution for me. <font color=red><b>(logical = economical)</b></font color=red>. When i upgraded, i bought a 1700+, A7V8X (yes, its VIA). thats b'coz A7N8X cost almost twice as much as A7V8X at that time. Now i am happy with my overclocked 1700+ (2137MHz, 12.5*171, thats a cool 2700+). When i run SiSoft Sandra 2003, i get better scores in my CPU benchmark than 2600+ and even 2800+.

Even now, in India, i cud buy a 2000+ and a decent mother board for the price i wud be paying for a P4 1.8GHz!!!

I even have a MX440 and pretty much content with it now, b'coz its the most "logical solution" for me.

That said, if i were to upgrde right now, with money-no-bar, i wud definitely go the <font color=blue><b>INTEL</b></font color=blue> way. And if i want a "Logical" solution, <font color=green><b>AMD still rules</b></font color=green>

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

gazzazhs

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
i am having the same problmes with HT, i am using a MSI 875neo, and there are a lot of instabillty , i use a satelite connection for the interntet and it crashes all the time, when i disabled HT, all worked fine, I belive HT is a big lie for the intel team, it is not supported by a lot of hardware and this makes it useless

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROFL, I smell a AMD lemming at work.

WTF does sat connection for internet have to do with HT? Not a damn thing seek another ISP if your internet crashes for gods sake. HT is taken advantage of by the XP operating system.

If you have a problem with the NEO then replace it. HT works great and improves the performance of the operating system as a whole.

"I believe HT is a big lie for the intel team, its not supported by a lot of hardware and that makes it useless" - ROFL @ a troll. Maybe you better know what you are talking about first before you add comments that make you look very stupid. Just trying to save you future embarrasment.

ding ding ding,.. I might have a new signature!!

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

gazzazhs

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
it seems , that you are the one that does not know what you are talking about. For your information MR. Know it all. After contacting the sat Modem manufacture, they said that their modem does not support HT beacuse of the fact that they found out the HT was not stable. also If you know everthing why don't try to install a regular dial up modem and enable HT and see what happes. It seems that YOU no nothing about HT AND just enjoyS insulting people. For your information Creative and Zoom Support admited that they dont know if thier modems will work with HT and said that HT was unstable .. I ASSURE YOU THAT YOU MADE ME KNOW THAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL ARE A DISGRACE FOR SUCH COMMUNITY. I BELIVE WE ARE ALL HEAR TO LEARN FOR EACH OTHER BUT I GUESS THE LIKES OF YOU ARE IN THE WORNG PLACE

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I've had experience with HT. It works marvellously, I can't complain, I've seen enourmous boosts in performance with my own eyes, and I can't even begin to imagine how the hell HT is supposed to interact with a modem in such a destructive manner.
For your information Creative and Zoom Support admited that they dont know if thier modems will work with HT and said that HT was unstable
I've never seen anyone complaining about HT in the real life (this thread was actually the first). So I'm inclined to have my doubts as to the competence of those "Modem manufacturers" you mentioned. OF COURSE they would just LOVE to say that it wasn't them who built a crappy piece of engineering with their modem - one who couldn't interact with HT technology in some way that escapes me - but rather, those *** at Intel released an imperfect product. Because, OF COURSE, their modem is a flawless one. Get my point? Switch modems, for god's sake, but I wouldn't live without the benefits of HT if I were you.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am a Intel Developer and been running HT since Comdex last year. I have setup countless machines and yet to experaince a problem related to HT.

Sit back down before you hurt yourself, HT has nothing to do with your modem.

Based upon your mispellings you must be 12 years old so I seriously doubt you own a HT machine.

Run along troll.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
11 and a half Fugger. Gezz you are looseing yer touch hes oviously suffering from some sort of retardation most, likely a birth defect. HT affects SAT modems LMAO maybe the sun dust you sniff everyday could be affecting the Satellite orbit causeing interference of the radio telescope on the moon.

Remember future moms dont drink or smoke crack while pregnant your future child maybe this young man.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

gazzazhs

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
Look there, I KNOW WHAT I KNOW << AND I REALLY DO NOT CARE WHAT YOUR MESSED UP BRAINS HAS TO SAY, AND IF I WERE 12 YEARS OLD I WILL STILL KNOW MORE THAN YOU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GET A LIFE

gazzazhs

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
Just to rest my case and prove what i said was true :
Check The site for the manufacturer of my sat modem:
http://www.t-data.lu and check the FAQ and if u still have doubs, send an email to their support team .. and then come and talk to me.. MR. Know it all