Shut down problem, please help!

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I have a A7N8X with 2500 and 2x256 corsair pc2700. Ever since i put it together it wont shut down with the start menu, turn off computer, turn off. all it does is restart. and restart makes it restart. and standby gives me a blue screen that says dumping memory and it restarts. Also hitting the power button restarts it. i can only turn it off while its booting up and hitting the power button. it runs fine otherwise. so whats the deal??

My computer is so powerful, it can complete a simple math equation in only 3 and half days! :lol:

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
umm i'm not an expert by any means but it can't hurt to check your memory settings also pop them out and put them back in

endyen

Splendid
It's a windows fault. They fixed it in 95 and it came back in 98, so they fixed it and it came back in m.e. so they fixed it and it came back in xp. Try reloading your os with service packs.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh heh heh. I hadn't heard that it came back in XP. That's pretty funny. :)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
If you are using WinXP:
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Uncheck "Restart Automatically"

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid, then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I tried doing that and all i get now is a blue screen saying that a problem was detecting and windows was shut down. so i have to use the power button from there to get it to turn off. any other ideas, or do i have to reload windows? this same copy worked before on my old computer?

My computer is so powerful, it can complete a simple math equation in only 3 and half days! :lol:

holycrapbatman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
What do you mean by that copy worked on your old computer? are you using an old installation with say a new motherboard? If so, that's probably your problem. if not, you could try checking your bios power options, and make sure that the acpi is turned on properly. also make sure that the acpi features in device manager are working properly(ie. no yellow excamation mark) failing that, check your motherboard against the HCL for windows xp.

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I got new stuff (mobo, cpu, ram, case with psu) and used the same everything else (cd drive, hard drives). i formated both hard drives and then reloaded windows on the master one. since my computer wouldnt boot up without doing that. i'll try what you said, thanks for the help so far everyone.