Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok when Intel xeon comes out with 4ghz I m guessing opteron will come out with a higher power cpu. Now when will this happen. And can this run reg software. I know this will be a high price computer.

Looking for a dual Opteron cpu and a good video card what running good at the time. And a good sound card which I can get right now. And two 250 gig or two 300 gig hard drives. And 2gb of ram. Then I m going to network the two computers togetther. My old amd 1800 1.5gb of ram gf3 ti 500 and 160 gig of hard and two 80 gig of hard drives then I can save software to this computer so if something happens to the main computer I still have it.

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
The problem with Opteron boards is that they dont support AGP at their current state.

I really dont understand anything that you said in your post except its going to be a file server of some sort.

Mike

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
That's one of the most confusing posts I've ever seen (up there with that one guy who keeps asking when DVD games are coming out on the PC so he can play higher-performance DVD games like with consoles instead of CD Rom games). Is the Opteron back compatible with 32 bit apps? Yes. I'm not sure why you asked about a good graphics card and sound card though. Do you want to do a little gaming? A lot of gaming? Umm, then you'd be better off with a Pentium or Athlon. But the big hard drives and RAM make it look like a server. Actually it looks like you just picked all the parts with the biggest numbers and threw them all together. Are you trying to put a server together that can also be used for gaming? What the bloody hell is this beast going to be doing?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well put it this way I run PC Intel or Amd dont cut it. They run 100% and 1.3gb of ram out of 1.5gb of ram. And the computer still seems to run Slow. So I was going to Hit Amd Or Xeon. Around 4ghz when they hit that mark. And I m guessing Amd in 12 to 15 Months will get a Agp Port. or the newer verson of the video card. And I will be rewirting the software so it will corp the dual cpu. So it will help in the speed. No its not for games. Its more Its more to help me on Detail Lazer Glass work.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
They run 100% and 1.3gb of ram out of 1.5gb of ram. And the computer still seems to run Slow.
What setup is so slow? And what kind of software were you using? Something you programmed yourself, if I got it right... Research-related? What is it? What compiler were you using? Maybe you can go dual Xeon and compile with an Intel compiler... that's a reasonably safe way to (1) spend money (2) get a rock-solid workstation. You can get something like the <A HREF="http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7505/X5DA8.htm" target="_new">Supermicro X5DA8</A> and go all the way up to 12GB of RAM. You get 8x AGP, dual-channel memory controller, Ultra320 SCSI if you <i>really</i> need it... well, E7505 is a good chipset. Dual Xeons at the 2.6-2.8 range will perform well, and have HT if you use multithreaded programs... It might be overkill and it might also be very expensive...

But, well, this is a good workstation configuration. I still am not sure if that's what you need...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
You're here just to wonder what exactly your purpose here is...

Why are we all out here?
It's the matrix... we need a purpose, or our very existance will be devoid of meaning... :eek:

Hm... See? Bosse has infected me with his nonsense! :eek:

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if you talk with your Head not from your Rear you Understand what I use this Hardware for. Mephistopheles. Fact is a Intel or Amd home computer not going to do what I want it to. And I seen the reviews on the opteron computers they done alot better then Xeons and it was on about 15 websites. I been to a shop that had both Xeon and Amd opteron run next to each other and had my software and hardware installed on both systems So take you Intel better crap and shove it. Each chip Stranths And Weakness. Right now Intel weakness is there 64/32 Bit Tech There is None. So Learn the Facts before you talk
Mephistopheles or go back to tech school.

I told you before it mainly for Laser cut glass work. The Time use 100% of the cpu and 1.3gb of ram. What I m doing is rewriting the software to run two cpu. And to run at 64bit. So the machine should run Faster 40 lazers two cpu taking half of each useing half of the ram each. See where One cpu can be overloaded.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
So whats your question? Or are you just boasting that your going to buy an opteron setup?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
No no hes boasting that he has access to the bastard child x86-64. Him and his 0 peices of real world software that currently supports it correctly are going to have a gay old time.

Just buy a Itainium they are much faster clock for clock than the Opteron anyways.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
“Bastard child x86-64” – “0 pieces of real world software”!
That’s the best description of our current bass ackwards, byte-swappin, double flip-flopin, little endian X86 architecture trying to go 64bit I’ve ever heard…
That’s good! and why I read THG…

flashpan

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
So when you said: “I run PC Intel or Amd dont cut it” and “Detail Lazer Glass work” was that some sort of work related inner shop pun with a fist full of typos and bad punctuation?

Really now, I been in the CNC industry for a while and have no freaking idea what you are talking about. Are you telling us that you have a set-up in that the machine if posed with a duel processor will in fact multi task cutting tools that it won’t do with a single proc. On top of that the machine jointly utilizes 32 and 64-bit programming. If that is so……I CALL BS!!! Not to speak of the fact that most of your CNC mills come with a computer built in to them and few are up gradeable. Also that a lazer will cut faster/hotter with a better proc. Try again some time.

My thought, this is one of these guys that shows up every other day or so wanting us to rate his new system or idea built with the latest and greatest parts barring any reasonable cost or reason, just to get a rise out of the regulars in this forum. It seems to me that we may need to come up with a name for these people.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Well if you talk with your Head not from your Rear you Understand what I use this Hardware for. (...) Right now Intel weakness is there 64/32 Bit Tech There is None. So Learn the Facts before you talk
Hm... Hey! I think that was an insult! :smile:

OK, I <i>was</i> going to reply seriously, but I read the other posts and, well... Not many people understand you, AtolSammeek... no, wait, actually, noone in this forum really got your point. :lol:

I think I might just try it again, quite politely. You work with those thingies called <i>LASERS</i> (as in <b>L</b>ight <b>A</b>mplification by <b><font color=red>S</font color=red></b>timuladed <b>E</b>mission of <b>R</b>adiation, mind you, with an "S") and you use them to cut glass in some sort of precise fashion. As I understand it, you need speed and precision, but are currently using a single, slow 32-bit-whatever CPU and want to go overkill on your problem by converting whatever controller program you have there to 64-bit and running it on a gazillion 64-bit CPUs with several Terabytes of memory, right? One question, though: why do you require "64/32 Bit Tech" then, if you can port it to 64-bit so readily? Will you be doing other things on that computer or what? I do know that Opteron has strengths, by the way. And about you going to a shop and running AMD Opteron setups next to Intel Xeon setups (whatever those setups were, you didn't even bother telling us their configurations... also, did you port your code to x86-64?)... well... Good for you, what are we supposed to do? Every time we try to help you, you're dismissive as hell. What are you even doing in this forum?

One more thing I don't understand... Your laser cutting activities are limited by the CPU power of the controlling computer instead of by the physical devices that do the cutting? I don't get it! I'd have guessed it would be the other way around...

Anyway, I've searched for a question of yours to answer, but I found only insults. And I've been very respectful of you... so far. But, hey, logical conclusion: :evil:

Why don't <i>you</i> go back to english school, learn to express yourself clearly and respectfully (for THAT, you would not even have to speak good english!), and then come back to us later? It's impossible to understand your writing! Plus, even when I do understand your writing, I can't make out your thinking!

<i>Ouch, I tried to keep my temper, but didn't really succeed... how very unreasonable of me! :eek: </i>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It seems to me that we may need to come up with a name for these people.
Oooh, I <i>like</i> that idea... how's "sexually disabled, intellectually-impaired humanlike creature" for starters? Too long, I know... what about "Bosse clone"? Oh, man, can't come up with creative names... what a pity... :frown:

endyen

Splendid
My guess is that he is running a plc interface directly through some type of dual proccessor setup, but is having problems with image quality due to pci video, and his production output is less than optimal because the amount of load he has on processor. Maybe what he needs is a setup like they use in graphics design where they have mutiple computers that are single tasking. Personally I wouldn't mind a gander at the robotics but I'm guessing Italy or Poland and wont be that way anytime soon.
Oh ya the nforce 3 opteron boards are suposed to have agp, hope that helps you out. Hey it's a real world work aplication for a pc, what an idea!!!

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One question when we all move to 64 bit are we going back to 32 bit. Its like asking are we going from 32 bit back to 16 bit? No. Thing is we will use 32 bit for a long while. Like we will still use Tapes for another 5 years and VHS another few Years while DVD taking over. Records the only thing there good now is to hold on to them for they can be worth some money. Some of mine are Worth over $300.

And How you use 64/32 bit and dual cpu its alot faster then one cpu. One thing Amd Not making another 3400+ and the 3200 was not very good to the intel 3.06 cpu. There More into the 64 bit chips. And I'm Into 4ghz Range which would be around 15 to 20 Months from now. I know amd dont use ghz but damit Intel and amd need some type of speed Guage. for ghz is False.