I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out of
10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed all
drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system works
fine. Any ideas?

Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
writers could be flaky.
"Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...

> I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out
> of
> 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed
> all
> drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
> works
> fine. Any ideas?

Berry, I have replaced both drives with different ones. Switched cables,
changed from CS to master/slave, removed one so only one was connected,
change transfer mode to pio. As soon as I turn off autorun they both work
without any problems.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
> which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
> writers could be flaky.
> "Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out
> > of
> > 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed
> > all
> > drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
> > works
> > fine. Any ideas?

Do this: Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into
notepad. Save the file as autorun.reg and save it to the desktop. When
saving make sure you change the save as type..... drop down box to all
files. Once saved double click on the file to merge it into the registry.
Reboot.

Begin cut below
this line

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:0000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"="0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

End cut above this
lne

"Richard Hoodman" <RichardHoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BBDB78D8-BCF8-4D53-9A6E-AD4FE0063E7A@microsoft.com...
> Berry, I have replaced both drives with different ones. Switched cables,
> changed from CS to master/slave, removed one so only one was connected,
> change transfer mode to pio. As soon as I turn off autorun they both work
> without any problems.
>
> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
>> Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
>> which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
>> writers could be flaky.
>> "Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times
>> > out
>> > of
>> > 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have
>> > changed
>> > all
>> > drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
>> > works
>> > fine. Any ideas?

pcbutts,

I previously checked the registry enteries listed and they match what you
listed. Strange uh.