Autorun causes Win XP SP2 to hang

I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out of
10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed all
drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system works
fine. Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about autorun hang

    Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
    which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
    writers could be flaky.
    "Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...

    > I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out
    > of
    > 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed
    > all
    > drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
    > works
    > fine. Any ideas?

    Berry, I have replaced both drives with different ones. Switched cables,
    changed from CS to master/slave, removed one so only one was connected,
    change transfer mode to pio. As soon as I turn off autorun they both work
    without any problems.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
    > which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
    > writers could be flaky.
    > "Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > > I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times out
    > > of
    > > 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have changed
    > > all
    > > drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
    > > works
    > > fine. Any ideas?

    Do this: Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into
    notepad. Save the file as autorun.reg and save it to the desktop. When
    saving make sure you change the save as type..... drop down box to all
    files. Once saved double click on the file to merge it into the registry.
    Reboot.

    Begin cut below
    this line

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
    "AutoRun"=dword:0000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "allocatecdroms"="0"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    End cut above this
    lne

    "Richard Hoodman" <RichardHoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BBDB78D8-BCF8-4D53-9A6E-AD4FE0063E7A@microsoft.com...
    > Berry, I have replaced both drives with different ones. Switched cables,
    > changed from CS to master/slave, removed one so only one was connected,
    > change transfer mode to pio. As soon as I turn off autorun they both work
    > without any problems.
    >
    > "Rich Barry" wrote:
    >
    >> Richard, I had the same problem. It turned out to be a flaky cd burner
    >> which I had to replace. So, one or both of your
    >> writers could be flaky.
    >> "Richard Hoodman" <Richard Hoodman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:255ADCC8-AB38-403D-B9E5-1C1A3D0CFEFF@microsoft.com...
    >> >
    >> > I have an HP d530c system running Win XP SP2 which will hang 8 times
    >> > out
    >> > of
    >> > 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted. Running DVD and CD writers. Have
    >> > changed
    >> > all
    >> > drives/cables/DMA settings. If autorun is disabled in registry system
    >> > works
    >> > fine. Any ideas?

    pcbutts,

    I previously checked the registry enteries listed and they match what you
    listed. Strange uh.

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP