Sign in with
Your question

Win 8 Release Preview Shows DDR 3 RAM as DDR 2?

Last response: in Windows 8
June 2, 2012 7:46:10 PM

Just want to make sure it's an "undocumented feature" rather than actually trying to tell me that something is wrong. But if I go to the Task Manager, select the "Performance" tab and select "Memory", it tells me my memory is DDR2. However my MB only supports DDR3, and CPU-Z also claims I'm using DDR3. Is Windows confused about something, or is it implying something is setup wrong?
a c 105 } Memory
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 7:55:04 PM

I don't see the DRAM type listed anywhere. Perhaps its because I'm running it in a virtual machine though
June 2, 2012 9:26:02 PM

Pinhedd said:
I don't see the DRAM type listed anywhere. Perhaps its because I'm running it in a virtual machine though

If you click on "Memory" in the Performance tab it brings up that chart, and on the left it says "Memory" and on the right (at least on mine) it says "6.0 GB DDR2".

Related resources
a c 81 } Memory
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 9:37:13 PM

it could be that windows not reading the mb or the dimm spd. you can see if there any bios updates to your mb. but if windows is running fine then it a bug.
a b } Memory
June 2, 2012 9:40:38 PM

Screenshot plz, I'd like to see that myself. That's an unusual bug.
June 2, 2012 9:54:12 PM

blazorthon said:
Screenshot plz, I'd like to see that myself. That's an unusual bug.

On Imgur at:
http://i.imgur.com/N7QjX.jpg

I notice that further down on the screen it also says my speed is 1033 even though CPU-Z and my Bios both claim 1066.

a b } Memory
June 2, 2012 10:30:41 PM

I don't know why that would be happening. Maybe you should report this to MS? They might be of more help and would probably be interested in hearing about Win 8 bugs.
June 2, 2012 10:46:39 PM

Probably will do so eventually, but wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same behavior. If "everyone" has the problem then they probably don't need the report.
a b } Memory
June 3, 2012 12:35:04 AM

I'll download Win 8 RC and see if I have the same problem. If so, then it's likely an easily repeatable bug that MS will have to look into. If multiple people get it, then the speed at which they address the issue might increase :/ 
a c 105 } Memory
a b * Windows 8
June 3, 2012 6:30:26 AM

EwanG said:
If you click on "Memory" in the Performance tab it brings up that chart, and on the left it says "Memory" and on the right (at least on mine) it says "6.0 GB DDR2".

Mine just says 4.0GB. Windows 8 is virtualization aware though so I imagine its just hiding irrelevant information
a b } Memory
a b * Windows 8
June 3, 2012 7:00:45 AM

Mine says 8.0GB Other when it should be DDR3 and I am running Windows 8 native on it's own SSD.
a b } Memory
a b * Windows 8
June 6, 2012 5:15:22 PM

Mine shows up right(DDR3), but hwmon freezes this sucker up solid :( 

If i open the latest cpu-z then hwmon it works. So i guess the next hwmon will fix this.

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z board if it makes any difference.
!