Von_allen

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Well, I turned my computer on this morning, and the screen was blank and both case lihts were on. I turned the computer off and turned it back on to find it find it partially boot and then doing the same wit the black screen. I looked inside while I went thru these stages and the uh the cpu fan was idle! After trying to boot up one more time even after letting it cool down the screen remained black with no fan activity just a motherboard light. the computer was woking just fine and has been for some time my cpu tempreture was around 50 and went up to 56 when at 100% uh the motherboard was around 50 as well. Can someone please tell me with experience if my computer has for this reason headed south.
Yours fearfully
cpu (XP 2200 non overclocked)
512DDR PC 2700
ATI radion 8500 LE
motherboard: Abit KD7-e.

open the case and take off the fan and see if your processor is cooked. The motherboard could have cooked too, yes. check the motherboard for leaking parts and whatnot too.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Von_allen

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I am having trouble getting the fan off, I dont want to damage or crack the mobo or cause any sort of serious damage, because it might kill the warranty for the shop that had it built. I cant see any obvious way of getting it off =(
a few easily understood guidelines would be helpful thanks.

richdun

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Also check all the seatings. A friends system (sounds similar to yours) had the same symptoms and all we had to do was push the cpu in better. Somehow it had come unseated in normal use. Worth a check.

Me machine in me profile.

Von_allen

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I think XP2200 CPU's are only 70$'s. if my motherboard hasnt departed too I might consider a 2600XP because apparently this CPU is pretty bad and does these sort of things...I need to remove the fan off the CPU somehow is there any sites or links related to this?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No offense Von_allen, but if you're that unsure of how to take off the heat sink then you probably shouldn't even be trying. You must have a waranty still or else you wouldn't be worried about voiding it. So I suggest that you don't fiddle with it yourself at all. Just take the PC to the shop that built it and have them fix it since it's still under waranty.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Sounds like good advice to me.

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid,
then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!

Von_allen

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
doh. well I can remove the fan easily from the this PC I am on (my second) Athlon1200. The 2200 fan is different and so is the one displayed on the manual.