How to repair a laptop that automatically turned off

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

For test purposes - Connect the AC Adapter, go to Control Panel and under 'Power Options' select 'Maximum Performance'. Then ensure that the display setting is 30 minutes. Now check the functioning of the laptop and let us know.

Also, just before auto shutoff, does the fan run at a much higher RPM?

jhephrei25

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
mine's like that... the fan of my laptop run at high RPM then automatically shuts down.. it happens all the time if i will play some games... it started my prob when i expand my 4gig ram to 8gig ram which my laptop supports 8gig of ram

Increasing RAM from 4GB to 8GB will not cause the laptop fan to increase RPMs and the laptop to shut-down.

High fan RPMs indicate that the CPU temps are rising and the fan needs to run faster in order to dissipate the heat. You should clean the laptop carefully using a can of compressed air and after that use a laptop cooler with fans. There are several laptop coolers available at Newegg, Cooler Master, and other similar sources.

jhephrei25

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

i don't know, but it started my problem after i expanded my ram. so, that may be a coincidence?..i observed that when my ram is still 4gig, may fan run at high RPM but having no problems.. but when i expanded my ram, my fan run at high RPM and started shutting down espacially when i'm playing games..

i have cooling pads on my laptop, i also use elctric fan to cool my laptop but still my problem didn't solve

Clean the inside of the laptop very carefully using a can of compressed air.

Regarding the RAM, one thing that I can think of is that the two modules (8 GB) may be of a different make and model that runs slightly hotter. Hence the increased heat and the higher fan speeds. Gaming does tend to make everything run a little hotter. The laptop battery pack also adds heat to the environment (laptop). Try running the games at lower frame rates in order to help the situation.

The cooling pad and the external fan will definitely help. However, neither of these will cool the CPU inside the laptop and that is what is heating up to the point that the CPU shuts itself OFF in order to prevent failure.

Lower ambient temps will help, but very slightly in the case of a laptop because the components inside a laptop are so tightly crammed in.

jhephrei25

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

we've fixed the problem. Technicians detected bad sectors on HDD so i got to replace it.. i used Seagate SSHD which is a combination of SSD and HDD.. and the problem's solved...

Glad it is fixed!

Danika

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014