Just got my first SS. It's a BSD.

My first solid state pin! Man this thing plays a lot faster than I
remember. I was wondering is their a high tap setting or some setting I
can change to make the ball plunger etc a little weaker?

Also, the displays bottom 2 & side 2 rows aren't working. I tried
reseating the connectors in the head but it didn't help. Will I have to
replace or fix the display screen or would one of the other boards
cause this?

Thanks in advance

Chas
9 answers Last reply
More about just

    Check the pins on the DMD itself and make sure they have not physically
    broken off from the DMD itself. If so, it's nearly impossible to fix
    this without replaceing the DMD. Also check the solder joints on the
    pins too. Good luck with it.

    Mike

    Your DMD rows not working. Check the ribbon going into the DMD glass for
    cracks or breaks. This can be carefully soldered or fixed with an electrical
    conductive epoxy. Don't short out other rows when you do this. LTG :)

    "m6onz5a" <corvair@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My first solid state pin! Man this thing plays a lot faster than I
    > remember. I was wondering is their a high tap setting or some setting I
    > can change to make the ball plunger etc a little weaker?
    >
    > Also, the displays bottom 2 & side 2 rows aren't working. I tried
    > reseating the connectors in the head but it didn't help. Will I have to
    > replace or fix the display screen or would one of the other boards
    > cause this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Chas

    I've checked the pins & also check the ribbon cable for cracks etc..
    Found nothing. I was able to get 1 row to flicker a bit but that is it.
    And at best the 1 row I did get to flicker was dim at best. Sigh.

    Chas

    Thanks! Will check it.

    Chas

    --
    Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
    http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

    You could try jumpering another row to the one that's out to see if
    it'll show (might want to desolder the row you're jumpering). If that
    works then it's probably one of the components related to that row
    rather than the DMD itself. (i.e. if row X is out but row Y works,
    jumper row Y to row X to see if what would normally appear on Y now
    appears on X. You'll probably want to desolder Y for this test)

    Good luck.

    Mike

    Really you shouldn't go so nuts here fumbling with cables etc. Chances
    are your DMD just has 4 lines out- this is EXTREMEMLY common on the old
    DMDs. In fact my BSD had the same issue. You might be able to fix it
    with silver epoxy, but chances are you'll just end up spending a not
    outrageous $120 on a new DMD. It's not the end of the world - and hey
    your BSD will be set for life in the DMD department.

    m6onz5a wrote:
    > Good idea! Thanks!
    >
    > I did plan to take the DMD off and check the solder joints but I'll
    > check that too.
    >
    > Chas
    >
    > "Mike Messersmith" wrote:
    > >You could try jumpering another row to the one that's out to see if
    > >it'll show (might want to desolder the row you're jumpering). If that
    > >works then it's probably one of the components related to that row
    > >rather than the DMD itself. (i.e. if row X is out but row Y works,
    > >jumper row Y to row X to see if what would normally appear on Y now
    > >appears on X. You'll probably want to desolder Y for this test)
    > >
    > >Good luck.
    > >
    > >Mike
    > >

    > --
    > Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
    > http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

    I'm not going to go too nuts. Since it's the lower two it doesn't
    bother me all that much.. It just irks me when people are dishonest.

    I have a pic of the head and I can see the two bottom rows are not
    working (at least it looks like it to me) and he tells me It was
    working when it left. And the game was supposed to be working 100% w/o
    broken plastics but I've found 2 broken & 2 cracked. No biggie though I
    just wish the description said it. Also had to adjust the Mist ball
    load ramp. It was rubbing causing it to stick. And the middle ball ramp
    switch was stuck.. I'm still happy with my purchase for the most part.
    Just hate being mislead.

    --
    Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
    http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

    Well I got my DMD yesterday. Now I can acutally see what ball I'm on.
    Sure beats guessing.

    Chas

Solid State Video Games