Unable to browse even tho I can ping

August 19, 2005 1:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router which
is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can ping
anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I am
unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be found"
error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them using
their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue. Interestingly I
CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks like
there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default. I
cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.

Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem persists
even when Norton is fully disabled.

Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same cable
works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.

Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.

In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock issues
may cause such problems. Any ideas?

More about : unable browse tho ping

August 19, 2005 1:36:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You could try this
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

Neil

"Martin Burnett" <martin.burnett.nospam@removethisbit.btinternet.com> wrote
in message news:D e2uab$guc$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router which
> is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can ping
> anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I am
> unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be found"
> error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them using
> their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue. Interestingly
> CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks
> like
> there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default. I
> cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.
>
> Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem persists
> even when Norton is fully disabled.
>
> Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same cable
> works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.
>
> Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.
>
> In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock issues
> may cause such problems. Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:36:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've seen that after spyware removal too.
At the RUN box, type in
netsh winsock /reset
reboot

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> You could try this
> How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357
>
> Neil
>
> "Martin Burnett" <martin.burnett.nospam@removethisbit.btinternet.com>
> wrote in message news:D e2uab$guc$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router
>> which
>> is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can ping
>> anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I
>> am
>> unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be
>> found"
>> error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them
>> using
>> their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue. Interestingly
>> CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks
>> like
>> there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default. I
>> cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.
>>
>> Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem persists
>> even when Norton is fully disabled.
>>
>> Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same cable
>> works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.
>>
>> Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.
>>
>> In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock issues
>> may cause such problems. Any ideas?

August 19, 2005 4:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Make sure you uncheck proxy settings if you are not using proxy if you are
not sure about proxy, I would suggest you use the function called
"automatically detect proxy settings". To do this go to your control panel
double click at Internet Options, choose Connections tab and click at Lan
Settings.

"Martin Burnett" wrote:

> Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router which
> is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can ping
> anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I am
> unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be found"
> error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them using
> their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue. Interestingly I
> CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks like
> there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default. I
> cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.
>
> Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem persists
> even when Norton is fully disabled.
>
> Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same cable
> works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.
>
> Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.
>
> In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock issues
> may cause such problems. Any ideas?

August 19, 2005 12:42:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You could also try creating a new user just temporarily and see if that
works.

Neil

"Martin Burnett" <martin.burnett.nospam@removethisbit.btinternet.com> wrote
in message news:D e2uab$guc$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router which
> is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can ping
> anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I am
> unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be found"
> error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them using
> their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue. Interestingly
> CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks
> like
> there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default. I
> cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.
>
> Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem persists
> even when Norton is fully disabled.
>
> Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same cable
> works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.
>
> Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.
>
> In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock issues
> may cause such problems. Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:52:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well....this eventually turned out to be the result of some corruption in
Norton Internet Security. Symantec claimed that if NIS was disabled it
definitely wouldnt block anything. My experience doesn't bear this out -
port 80 traffic continued to be blocked even when disabled.

Uninstalling then reinstalling NIS fixed the problem

"NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've seen that after spyware removal too.
> At the RUN box, type in
> netsh winsock /reset
> reboot
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> > You could try this
> > How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > "Martin Burnett" <martin.burnett.nospam@removethisbit.btinternet.com>
> > wrote in message
news:D e2uab$guc$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> >> Have a new PC connected to BT broadband using a Netgear DG632 router
> >> which
> >> is also the DHCP server. The PC obtains IP leases correctly and can
ping
> >> anywhere on the internet by both IP address and domain name. However, I
> >> am
> >> unable to browse to any location using IE - I get a "page cannot be
> >> found"
> >> error. This is true for sites even when I can succesfully ping them
> >> using
> >> their full domain name, so its not an IP resolution issue.
Interestingly
> >> CAN connect/send/receive email successfully using Outlook, so it looks
> >> like
> >> there is some issue specifically on port 80. The IE setup is default.
> >> cannot even connect to the web interface of the router at 192.168.1.1.
> >>
> >> Norton Internet Security is installed on the PC, but the problem
persists
> >> even when Norton is fully disabled.
> >>
> >> Another PC connected to the same port on the router using the same
cable
> >> works fine, so it appears to be a PC related problem not router.
> >>
> >> Next step is to try Firefox to try to eliminate IE as the problem.
> >>
> >> In the meantime - any suggestions? I have heard corrupted Winsock
issues
> >> may cause such problems. Any ideas?

August 25, 2005 3:07:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Martin,

>[Uninstalling] then reinstalling NIS fixed the problem

You should have stopped while you were ahead....
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP