Trying to add IP printer using a bat file

I am having a problem with installing a printer using a bat file. I run the
bat, all of the keys are created. They look fine. The drivers are then
copied, but then I receive an error: Operation could not be completed. The
specified port is unknown.

Any ideas?

Here is the code.
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v HostName /t REG_SZ /d HPprinter
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v HWAddress /t REG_SZ
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v IPAddress /t REG_SZ /d 172.20.100.150
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v PortNumber /t REG_DWORD /d 9100
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v Protocol /t REG_DWORD /d 1
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v Version /t REG_DWORD /d 1
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v "SNMP Community" /t REG_SZ /d public
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v "SNMP Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1
REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\HPprinter" /v "SNMP Index" /t REG_DWORD /d 1
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HPprinter" /f
"c:\WINDOWS\inf\ntprint.inf" /r "HPprinter" /m "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL"
4 answers Last reply
More about trying printer file

    In news:C1073BF5-6F0A-4C27-B2BF-458A175A3FA9@microsoft.com,
    skitzsofrenick <skitzsofrenick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > I am having a problem with installing a printer using a bat file. I
    > run the bat, all of the keys are created. They look fine. The drivers
    > are then copied, but then I receive an error: Operation could not be
    > completed. The specified port is unknown.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    <snip>

    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but have you tried using something like
    Con2prt.exe to install network printers?

    Never heard of this util. I will look it up and let you know if how that works.

    Basically we are trying to create a simplified util to creating IP printers
    for some visitors. Its always easiest to make it as simple as possible for
    some people.

    This utility looks like its a WindowsNT util and not made avail for XP. Is
    this true?

    skitzsofrenick wrote:

    > This utility looks like its a WindowsNT util and not made
    > avail for XP. Is this true?
    Hi,

    Another alternative is to use the prnadmin.dll that comes with the
    MS Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit.

    With prnadmin.dll you can e.g. do the following port handling from
    e.g. VBScript:

    - Adding/deleting ports (standard local ports, TCP LPR/RAW ports)
    (local or remote)

    Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

    (The kit will install on WinXP or later, but you can copy needed
    files over to other computers, and then run regsvr32.exe against
    prnadmin.dll)

    More about PrnAdmin (from the RK help file):

    Printer Administration Objects (PrnAdmin) is a COM-based tool that
    provides large-scale, noninteractive control of printers, drivers,
    and ports on local and remote computers.

    Using PrnAdmin, you can:

    Add and delete a local or remote printer.
    Add and delete printer connections.
    Add and delete a local or remote form.
    Add and delete a local or remote standard TCP/IP port (of type
    Line Printer Remote (LPR) or RAW).
    Add and delete a local or remote driver.
    View a list of printers, ports, drivers, and forms on a local or
    remote computer.
    Control and configure a local or remote printer.

    PrnAdmin consists of several scriptable COM objects residing in
    Prnadmin.dll, which functions as a wrapper around Printui.dll.
    Several Microsoft Visual Basic Script (VBScript) sample files are
    included with the tool.

    Note

    For more detailed information on how to use PrnAdmin.DLL, see
    Prnadmin.doc. This white paper provides additional information on
    printer, drivers, ports and forms to help administrators and
    programmers manage a large number of local and remote printers.

    Corresponding Operating System Features

    All the functionality of prnadmin.dll can be duplicated using the
    printers folder and various wizards. Converting printer ports from
    LPR to Standard TCP/IP is the only functionality in prnadmin.dll
    for which there is no corresponding GUI.

    For more information about PrnAdmin and the Windows Management
    Instrumentation (WMI) scripts in Windows Server 2003, see
    Designing and Deploying Print
    Servers(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=4745) in the
    Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit.

    Files Required

    Prnadmin.dll

    The following sample VBScript files are also included:

    Prnadmin.doc
    Clean.vbs
    Clone.vbs (there is no WMI equivalent for the cloning script)
    Conall.vbs
    Defprn.vbs
    Drvmgr.vbs
    Forms.vbs
    Persist.vbs
    Portconv.vbs
    Portmgr.vbs
    Prncfg.vbs
    Prnctrl.vbs
    Prndata.vbs
    Prnmgr.vbs

    and

    HOW TO: Programmatically Create a Printer and Printer Port by
    Using PrinterAdmin (Prnadmin.dll) with a Visual Basic Script
    in Microsoft Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321025

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

TCP/IP Monitors Printers Windows XP