Minstrel Mania!

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 5:40:25 PM

Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.

The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700

More about : minstrel mania

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 5:47:26 PM

I have been watching this one too, i think more around 3,000. Lets see
who is closer. but this is the first one i have seen in a very very
very long time

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/
July 6, 2005 8:05:56 PM

I'll go with 3000.00,,, Might be wrong, but anyone popping
down that kind of pocket change would have to want it pretty bad .

Pin-Del,
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 9:32:20 PM

Most pre-1956 Gottlieb woodrails are very collectible.
Believe me John, there's a whole other world out
there of high-value pinballs that don't have a
DMD, or even any silicon!

In fact, I can think of a couple Gottlieb woodrails
that are worth more than a Medieval. Sometime Koz
you can come over and i'll school you in the "old
school" EM woodrails. hehehe.

pinlicious wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
> <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
>
> >$5600.
> >
> >-Mark
>
> why is this game so collectable?
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
July 6, 2005 10:00:15 PM

John,
I have to Admire that !!,

Pin-Del,
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 11:34:50 PM

I think to really understand pinball, you have to know where it
came from. it's 'roots' i guess. i know a lot of guys that only
collect/play/repair solidstate games. and then there are the guys
that only collect/play/repair EM pinballs. But i think to really
really know and understand pinball, you need to be versed in both
sides of it.

i probably didn't play my first game of pinball until 1988. i have
no rememberance of playing when i was young. so i'm not working
on the 'old times' way of thinking. in a way, i think i have an
advantage over a lot of 'old timers'. because i don't have any
prejudice on EM or SS games. they are all cool to me! in fact
on EM games, i am amazed on how much they did with so little.

as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
step back and think about that a second.

John P. Dayhuff wrote:
> Nicely put , Clay !!
>
> Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
> game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
> with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
> so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
> them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
> I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.
>

> --
> John P. Dayhuff
> Battle Creek, MI.
> (269) 979-3836
>
> Still looking for:
> E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
> E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!
>
> <cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> > Most pre-1956 Gottlieb woodrails are very collectible.
> > Believe me John, there's a whole other world out
> > there of high-value pinballs that don't have a
> > DMD, or even any silicon!
> >
> > In fact, I can think of a couple Gottlieb woodrails
> > that are worth more than a Medieval. Sometime Koz
> > you can come over and i'll school you in the "old
> > school" EM woodrails. hehehe.
> >
> > pinlicious wrote:

> > > why is this game so collectable?
> > >
> > > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 11:39:13 PM

c...@provide.net wrote:

> as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
> got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
> step back and think about that a second.

is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
Apollo equipment?

I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
the same time you did.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 6, 2005 11:43:48 PM

Del wrote:
> I'll go with 3000.00,,, Might be wrong, but anyone popping
> down that kind of pocket change would have to want it pretty bad .
>

> Pin-Del,

Right Del, but THREE or FOUR of those lunatics is all it's gonna take,
and this thing is RARE. And it is NICE too, looks very nice.

One reason this thing is so collectable I would think is the bizarre
minstrel theme. Might be the only woodrail with a black chick on it
too, who knows? I think this game also has these cool psuedo
drop-targets (or pop targets?)...you hit a target and these bug-eyed
blacks (or is it whites in blackface? I get confused) pop up.

It's really something. I don't think this would be a hit at an NAACP
convention but I think even they would understand it to be a true sign
of the times and a historical artifact.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:10:59 AM

I think a lot of collectiablity has to do with what brought you to
pinball in the first place. For me. it was the birth of DMD that got
me addicted to pinball. My dad enjoys the dmds but also likes the 70's
and early 80's games too. Cuz that's what he grew up with. I think
nostalga has a lot to do with demand for a specific game. For me.
this game would be worth 100 or 200 for trade value. For someone that
grew up in the 40's and remembers playing this game new. would fetch a
lot more memories and demand. Doesn't mean it's any better or worse of
a game. But the 50's games are probably less avaialble than the cactus
canyons and MM of today. I'm sure production runs were smaller and
many have parished along the way.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:33:42 AM

On 6 Jul 2005 19:39:13 -0700, "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote:

>c...@provide.net wrote:
>

>> as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
>> got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
>> step back and think about that a second.
>
>is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
>Apollo equipment?
>
>I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
>the same time you did.

IIRC, the Apollo capsule had something like 35k words of real live
magnetic core memory. This stuff was REAL expensive in the 60's.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:59:16 AM

$5600.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

"ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
> Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.
>
> The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:59:17 AM

yup. I say it goes in to the 5 thousands!!! thats a VERY collectible
pin!!!!

Greg

<spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:

>$5600.
>
>-Mark
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:59:17 AM

<spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:

>$5600.
>
>-Mark

why is this game so collectable?

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:59:18 AM

pinlicious wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
> <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
>

>>$5600.
>>
>>-Mark
>

> why is this game so collectable?

It's MM and they usually command high prices. ;-)

Clive
---
Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

The Coin-Op Cauldron
405 Wild Wing Way
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
http://www.coinopcauldron.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 4:47:36 AM

Nicely put , Clay !!

Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
(269) 979-3836

Still looking for:
E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> Most pre-1956 Gottlieb woodrails are very collectible.
> Believe me John, there's a whole other world out
> there of high-value pinballs that don't have a
> DMD, or even any silicon!
>
> In fact, I can think of a couple Gottlieb woodrails
> that are worth more than a Medieval. Sometime Koz
> you can come over and i'll school you in the "old
> school" EM woodrails. hehehe.
>
> pinlicious wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
> > <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
> >
> > >$5600.
> > >
> > >-Mark
> >
> > why is this game so collectable?
> >
> > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 7:00:37 AM

Funny i dont remember any solid state games in the later sixtys, do you ??

--

> c...@provide.net wrote:
>

> > as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
> > got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
> > step back and think about that a second.
>
> is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
> Apollo equipment?
>
> I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
> the same time you did.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 11:23:19 AM

I'm guessing the Minstral man will fetch $3500-$4000.It's all
origional! Fantastic woodrail to play.It seems to get twice the play of
any other woodrail in my collection.Including Knockout or Dragonette.

Also the 1st machine with drop down targets.And if I'm not
mistaken,the only woodrail with drop downs.Clay,please correct me if
I'm wrong.
Steve Young actually has repro targets.They look great.

There was one other on E-Bay aprox 2 years ago.It brought $3000.00.

I know,It's in my gameroom.But mine has a repro backglass.I'm looking
at the E-Bay one also to swap out with mine.A good friend wants
mine.But,he's not getting it until I have another.

And I don't want to see it go to Europe.We're loosing too many great
woodrails to overseas.A few every week are leaving.

If anyone here from RGP would like to play some woodrails and discover
another world,contact me and come play.I'm in Fennville Mi. if you're
around.
Later,Walt
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 11:46:28 AM

Kenbo is right. They were using silicon for the space vehicle part of
the program. The ground stations still had tubes and relays. They
launched Alan Shepard with an analog computer. I saw it on the VIP
tour at Cape Kennedy a number of years ago. They had a retired guy
that worked on the Explorer and Mercury programs giving the tour, it
was cool.
I had a professor that worked on Apollo control systems at Honeywell,
and the solid state analog control system got beat out by the discrete
digital control designed by a competing team. I was enamoured as a kid
by the space program, and as an adult engineer, I am amazed they got
these things into space and back as often as they did.

K2
Buying all things Bally Cosmos
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 12:06:51 PM

Walt wrote:

> I don't want to see it go to Europe.We're loosing too many great
> woodrails to overseas. A few every week are leaving.

It galls me, too, and the only reason I can think of why it's happening
is because the woodrail collectors here in the States are too cheap. I
know I am, and I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on this lot in
Ontario:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6178...

But at least those games stayed in North America (for the time being,
anyway).

- Josh A.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 7, 2005 1:19:45 PM

I guess it goes over at least $4,000 . I paid $200 just for the damn flyer
!@#$%^&*

Ron

"ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
> Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.
>
> The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 1:05:38 AM

In article <IY_ye.1088$ER6.99@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
John P. Dayhuff <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>Nicely put , Clay !!

>Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
>game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
>with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
>so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
>them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
>I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.

Me too. I wasn't around to enjoy woodrails in their original 1950's
context, but I have great appreciation for the artwork, design, and
mechanics. Also great respect for their creators, who pioneered much
of what we might just take for granted.

I have four 1950's woodrails in my collection right now - two on legs, two
being restored. (When I will finish the PF swap on that Gottlieb
Chinatown I don't know.) As with other eras, some of the best playing
games are scarce (in good condition) because people played them down to
the bare wood. Titles that were dogs on location might have later become
collectible for their theme, and are thus perhaps found in better
condition. But you can't judge the era by playing just one of them, just
like other eras.

Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
change some minds. :)

Orin
--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |

On 7 Jul 2005 21:05:38 GMT, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com>
wrote:

>In article <IY_ye.1088$ER6.99@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
>John P. Dayhuff <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>Nicely put , Clay !!
>
>>Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
>>game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
>>with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
>>so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
>>them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
>>I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.
>
>Me too. I wasn't around to enjoy woodrails in their original 1950's
>context, but I have great appreciation for the artwork, design, and
>mechanics. Also great respect for their creators, who pioneered much
>of what we might just take for granted.
>
>I have four 1950's woodrails in my collection right now - two on legs, two
>being restored. (When I will finish the PF swap on that Gottlieb
>Chinatown I don't know.) As with other eras, some of the best playing
>games are scarce (in good condition) because people played them down to
>the bare wood. Titles that were dogs on location might have later become
>collectible for their theme, and are thus perhaps found in better
>condition. But you can't judge the era by playing just one of them, just
>like other eras.
>
>Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
>games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
>not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
>much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
>seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
>without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
>change some minds. :)

what game was it on?

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

>Orin
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 3:30:25 AM

In article <dak5f20e7t@news2.newsguy.com>, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com> wrote:

>Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
>games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
>not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
>much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
>seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
>without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
>change some minds. :)
>
>Orin

Amen, Orin!

If you haven't seen Sam Harvey demonstrate his flipper technique(s), then you
have no idea what's "possible" on a pinball machine. That man can do some
unbelievable things!!

Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
July 8, 2005 4:21:52 AM

Well, I won that lot and they all ended up in California, not Europe! The
shipping cost was about the same as the eBay price.

-Danny

"Josh A." <josh489@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Walt wrote:
>
>> I don't want to see it go to Europe.We're loosing too many great
>> woodrails to overseas. A few every week are leaving.
>
> It galls me, too, and the only reason I can think of why it's happening
> is because the woodrail collectors here in the States are too cheap. I
> know I am, and I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on this lot in
> Ontario:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6178...
>
> But at least those games stayed in North America (for the time being,
> anyway).
>
> - Josh A.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 6:19:27 PM

In article <t9hrc1p97fjhfrp94sd851h8jqe7sm00ia@4ax.com>,
pinlicious <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 7 Jul 2005 21:05:38 GMT, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com>
>wrote:

>>Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
>>games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
>>not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
>>much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
>>seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
>>without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
>>change some minds. :)

>what game was it on?

I've seen him do it on several occasions, one time was on a Hi-Diver
tournament game Pinball Fantasy 1996(?) in Las Vegas. When I tried the
same technique minutes later on the same table I tilted almost instantly.

Someday it would be fun to put a video camera in the cabinet to film the
tilt bob while Sam does this, just to see what really happens.

Orin

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |