Minstrel Mania!

Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.

The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=6190987094&rd=1
26 answers Last reply
More about minstrel mania

    I have been watching this one too, i think more around 3,000. Lets see
    who is closer. but this is the first one i have seen in a very very
    very long time

    Ctsteps5

    owner of
    71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
    74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

    Moderator of EM Pinball Group
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

    I'll go with 3000.00,,, Might be wrong, but anyone popping
    down that kind of pocket change would have to want it pretty bad .

    Pin-Del,

    Most pre-1956 Gottlieb woodrails are very collectible.
    Believe me John, there's a whole other world out
    there of high-value pinballs that don't have a
    DMD, or even any silicon!

    In fact, I can think of a couple Gottlieb woodrails
    that are worth more than a Medieval. Sometime Koz
    you can come over and i'll school you in the "old
    school" EM woodrails. hehehe.

    pinlicious wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
    > <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
    >
    > >$5600.
    > >
    > >-Mark
    >
    > why is this game so collectable?
    >
    > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    John,
    I have to Admire that !!,

    Pin-Del,

    I think to really understand pinball, you have to know where it
    came from. it's 'roots' i guess. i know a lot of guys that only
    collect/play/repair solidstate games. and then there are the guys
    that only collect/play/repair EM pinballs. But i think to really
    really know and understand pinball, you need to be versed in both
    sides of it.

    i probably didn't play my first game of pinball until 1988. i have
    no rememberance of playing when i was young. so i'm not working
    on the 'old times' way of thinking. in a way, i think i have an
    advantage over a lot of 'old timers'. because i don't have any
    prejudice on EM or SS games. they are all cool to me! in fact
    on EM games, i am amazed on how much they did with so little.

    as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
    got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
    step back and think about that a second.

    c...@provide.net wrote:

    > as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
    > got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
    > step back and think about that a second.

    is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
    Apollo equipment?

    I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
    the same time you did.

    Del wrote:
    > I'll go with 3000.00,,, Might be wrong, but anyone popping
    > down that kind of pocket change would have to want it pretty bad .
    >

    > Pin-Del,

    Right Del, but THREE or FOUR of those lunatics is all it's gonna take,
    and this thing is RARE. And it is NICE too, looks very nice.

    One reason this thing is so collectable I would think is the bizarre
    minstrel theme. Might be the only woodrail with a black chick on it
    too, who knows? I think this game also has these cool psuedo
    drop-targets (or pop targets?)...you hit a target and these bug-eyed
    blacks (or is it whites in blackface? I get confused) pop up.

    It's really something. I don't think this would be a hit at an NAACP
    convention but I think even they would understand it to be a true sign
    of the times and a historical artifact.

    I think a lot of collectiablity has to do with what brought you to
    pinball in the first place. For me. it was the birth of DMD that got
    me addicted to pinball. My dad enjoys the dmds but also likes the 70's
    and early 80's games too. Cuz that's what he grew up with. I think
    nostalga has a lot to do with demand for a specific game. For me.
    this game would be worth 100 or 200 for trade value. For someone that
    grew up in the 40's and remembers playing this game new. would fetch a
    lot more memories and demand. Doesn't mean it's any better or worse of
    a game. But the 50's games are probably less avaialble than the cactus
    canyons and MM of today. I'm sure production runs were smaller and
    many have parished along the way.

    On 6 Jul 2005 19:39:13 -0700, "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote:

    >c...@provide.net wrote:
    >

    >> as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
    >> got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
    >> step back and think about that a second.
    >
    >is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
    >Apollo equipment?
    >
    >I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
    >the same time you did.

    IIRC, the Apollo capsule had something like 35k words of real live
    magnetic core memory. This stuff was REAL expensive in the 60's.

    $5600.

    -Mark
    --
    http://pinballpal.com/

    "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.
    >
    > The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=6190987094&rd=1

    yup. I say it goes in to the 5 thousands!!! thats a VERY collectible
    pin!!!!

    Greg

    pinlicious wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
    > <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
    >

    >>$5600.
    >>
    >>-Mark
    >

    > why is this game so collectable?

    It's MM and they usually command high prices. ;-)

    Clive
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    405 Wild Wing Way
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    Nicely put , Clay !!

    Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
    game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
    with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
    so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
    them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
    I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.

    --
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    (269) 979-3836

    Still looking for:
    E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
    E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

    <cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
    > Most pre-1956 Gottlieb woodrails are very collectible.
    > Believe me John, there's a whole other world out
    > there of high-value pinballs that don't have a
    > DMD, or even any silicon!
    >
    > In fact, I can think of a couple Gottlieb woodrails
    > that are worth more than a Medieval. Sometime Koz
    > you can come over and i'll school you in the "old
    > school" EM woodrails. hehehe.
    >
    > pinlicious wrote:
    > > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:59:16 GMT, "Mark Clayton"
    > > <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >$5600.
    > > >
    > > >-Mark
    > >
    > > why is this game so collectable?
    > >
    > > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    Funny i dont remember any solid state games in the later sixtys, do you ??

    --

    > c...@provide.net wrote:
    >

    > > as i tell a lot of people that i fix EM games for, "this technology
    > > got us to the moon!" When i say that a lot of people take a
    > > step back and think about that a second.
    >
    > is that really true? Surely solid state technology abounded on the
    > Apollo equipment?
    >
    > I agree with everything ELSE you wrote haha...I got into pinball about
    > the same time you did.

    I'm guessing the Minstral man will fetch $3500-$4000.It's all
    origional! Fantastic woodrail to play.It seems to get twice the play of
    any other woodrail in my collection.Including Knockout or Dragonette.

    Also the 1st machine with drop down targets.And if I'm not
    mistaken,the only woodrail with drop downs.Clay,please correct me if
    I'm wrong.
    Steve Young actually has repro targets.They look great.

    There was one other on E-Bay aprox 2 years ago.It brought $3000.00.

    I know,It's in my gameroom.But mine has a repro backglass.I'm looking
    at the E-Bay one also to swap out with mine.A good friend wants
    mine.But,he's not getting it until I have another.

    And I don't want to see it go to Europe.We're loosing too many great
    woodrails to overseas.A few every week are leaving.

    If anyone here from RGP would like to play some woodrails and discover
    another world,contact me and come play.I'm in Fennville Mi. if you're
    around.
    Later,Walt

    Kenbo is right. They were using silicon for the space vehicle part of
    the program. The ground stations still had tubes and relays. They
    launched Alan Shepard with an analog computer. I saw it on the VIP
    tour at Cape Kennedy a number of years ago. They had a retired guy
    that worked on the Explorer and Mercury programs giving the tour, it
    was cool.
    I had a professor that worked on Apollo control systems at Honeywell,
    and the solid state analog control system got beat out by the discrete
    digital control designed by a competing team. I was enamoured as a kid
    by the space program, and as an adult engineer, I am amazed they got
    these things into space and back as often as they did.

    K2
    Buying all things Bally Cosmos

    Walt wrote:

    > I don't want to see it go to Europe.We're loosing too many great
    > woodrails to overseas. A few every week are leaving.

    It galls me, too, and the only reason I can think of why it's happening
    is because the woodrail collectors here in the States are too cheap. I
    know I am, and I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on this lot in
    Ontario:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6178316306

    But at least those games stayed in North America (for the time being,
    anyway).

    - Josh A.

    I guess it goes over at least $4,000 . I paid $200 just for the damn flyer
    !@#$%^&*

    Ron

    In article <IY_ye.1088$ER6.99@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
    John P. Dayhuff <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >Nicely put , Clay !!

    >Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
    >game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
    >with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
    >so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
    >them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
    >I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.

    Me too. I wasn't around to enjoy woodrails in their original 1950's
    context, but I have great appreciation for the artwork, design, and
    mechanics. Also great respect for their creators, who pioneered much
    of what we might just take for granted.

    I have four 1950's woodrails in my collection right now - two on legs, two
    being restored. (When I will finish the PF swap on that Gottlieb
    Chinatown I don't know.) As with other eras, some of the best playing
    games are scarce (in good condition) because people played them down to
    the bare wood. Titles that were dogs on location might have later become
    collectible for their theme, and are thus perhaps found in better
    condition. But you can't judge the era by playing just one of them, just
    like other eras.

    Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
    games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
    not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
    much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
    seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
    without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
    change some minds. :)

    Orin
    --
    Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
    lobster @ |

    On 7 Jul 2005 21:05:38 GMT, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <IY_ye.1088$ER6.99@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
    >John P. Dayhuff <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>Nicely put , Clay !!
    >
    >>Infact i'm working on a 53 Shindig as we speak, i got more respect for this
    >>game than i do alot of the newer games. Not that there's anything wrong
    >>with the 90's DMD games, infact as most of you know i have about a dozen or
    >>so of them, but i also have a love for the older games as well. Without
    >>them there would'nt have been any games like TZ, ToM, TSPP.......ect......
    >>I guess what i'm trying to say is, it takes all kinds i guess.
    >
    >Me too. I wasn't around to enjoy woodrails in their original 1950's
    >context, but I have great appreciation for the artwork, design, and
    >mechanics. Also great respect for their creators, who pioneered much
    >of what we might just take for granted.
    >
    >I have four 1950's woodrails in my collection right now - two on legs, two
    >being restored. (When I will finish the PF swap on that Gottlieb
    >Chinatown I don't know.) As with other eras, some of the best playing
    >games are scarce (in good condition) because people played them down to
    >the bare wood. Titles that were dogs on location might have later become
    >collectible for their theme, and are thus perhaps found in better
    >condition. But you can't judge the era by playing just one of them, just
    >like other eras.
    >
    >Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
    >games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
    >not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
    >much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
    >seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
    >without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
    >change some minds. :)

    what game was it on?

    In article <dak5f20e7t@news2.newsguy.com>, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com> wrote:

    >Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
    >games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
    >not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
    >much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
    >seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
    >without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
    >change some minds. :)
    >
    >Orin

    Amen, Orin!

    If you haven't seen Sam Harvey demonstrate his flipper technique(s), then you
    have no idea what's "possible" on a pinball machine. That man can do some
    unbelievable things!!

    Jeff Giesting

    S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

    My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

    Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

    Well, I won that lot and they all ended up in California, not Europe! The
    shipping cost was about the same as the eBay price.

    -Danny

    In article <t9hrc1p97fjhfrp94sd851h8jqe7sm00ia@4ax.com>,
    pinlicious <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote:
    >On 7 Jul 2005 21:05:38 GMT, Orin Day <usenet2005@lobsterdevil.com>
    >wrote:

    >>Some of the skills required to play woodrails are the same as 1990's
    >>games, some are different. There's more reaction vs. catch and shoot, and
    >>not a lot of second chances. Some might say that woodrails involve too
    >>much luck. Some layouts do, but watching a player like Sam Harvey do
    >>seemingly impossible magic, like walking a ball 5 inches up an outlane
    >>without tilting (on a game with a working well-adjusted tilt!) might
    >>change some minds. :)

    >what game was it on?

    I've seen him do it on several occasions, one time was on a Hi-Diver
    tournament game Pinball Fantasy 1996(?) in Las Vegas. When I tried the
    same technique minutes later on the same table I tilted almost instantly.

    Someday it would be fun to put a video camera in the cabinet to film the
    tilt bob while Sam does this, just to see what really happens.

    Orin

    --
    Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
    lobster @ |
    lobsterdevil | no quote today
    .com |

    Yeah baby! Minstrel gets respect

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=6190987094&rd=1

    I guess Wayne would be INSANE to not rerun all the wms woodrials right?
    Let's see...$5400 X 500...he'll be RICH!

    Final price: $5400

    What do I win?

    -Mark
    --
    http://pinballpal.com/

    "Mark Clayton" <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote in message
    > $5600.
    >
    > -Mark
    > --
    > http://pinballpal.com/
    >
    > "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Wow this is cool, I don't think I've seen one for sale ever.
    >>
    >> The Europeans are already involved, I say this ends at $3700
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=6190987094&rd=1

World Of Warcraft Games Video Games