Sign in with
Your question

N4010 keyboard, touchpad, and usb keyboard not working

Last response: in Computer Brands
January 25, 2013 12:23:39 AM

I'm trying to fix a friends Dell inspiron N4010 laptop. The keyboard, touchpad and usb keyboard do not work. I'm not getting a response at the bios screen with either keyboard.

I have tried both usb slots but the keyboard doesn't work on either. I did try to plug a wireless usb mouse (into both slots) and it works each time.

I have removed the battery, held the power button in but it still isn't working.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
January 25, 2013 2:52:01 PM

When you say that the wireless mouse works do you mean that you can boot the laptop into Windows ? While in Windows is the only thing working the mouse ? Have you tried connecting a wired mouse as well ?
m
l
January 25, 2013 8:34:54 PM

inzone said:
When you say that the wireless mouse works do you mean that you can boot the laptop into Windows ? While in Windows is the only thing working the mouse ? Have you tried connecting a wired mouse as well ?

I can get to the the login screen but can't login since the keyboard on the laptop doesn't work and neither does a wired usb keyboard. However a wireless (or wired) mouse does work but that doesn't help much without a keyboard. The touch pad does not work either. I tried to hit f2 to get into the bios but the keyboards do not work at that point either.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2013 3:31:51 PM

Do you have a wired keyboard available to try ?
Your pretty limited as to what you can do with a laptop and the thing is that a wired mouse works so that's an indication that the usb ports are working , so maybe a wired keyboard would work.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:54:15 PM

inzone said:
Do you have a wired keyboard available to try ?
Your pretty limited as to what you can do with a laptop and the thing is that a wired mouse works so that's an indication that the usb ports are working , so maybe a wired keyboard would work.

Yes, I tried a wired keyboard but that does not work either.
m
l
January 26, 2013 4:01:49 PM

I don't suppose that the laptop is still under warranty ?
You may have to try the Dell support web page and do the tech sup[port chat option to see if there is a solution.
m
l
!