Installing Old Software in Windows XP

I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
select install, the computer tries to start installation of another, totally
unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be going
wrong? thanks, Kevin
4 answers Last reply
More about installing software windows

    What program? Is it an MS Office program?

    SWAG, the program that comes up either has Install on Demand or there is
    something screwed up with that program's installation.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u258OyEpFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kevin <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
    > game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
    > autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
    > select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
    > totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
    > going wrong? thanks, Kevin

    Hi,

    Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

    Check especially the link to the installer cleanup utility.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
    >game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
    >autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
    >select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
    >totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
    >going wrong? thanks, Kevin

    Kevin, rt click on the cd drive and select Explore. Then look for the
    Drakan.exe file and rt click and select Properties>Compatibility. Check run
    this program in compatibility mode box and choose 95. Click Apply Ok Then
    double click on it. See if it works Ok.
    "Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
    >game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
    >autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
    >select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
    >totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
    >going wrong? thanks, Kevin

    Hi, thanks. I was able to select Explore and run the setup program. It
    worked ok. Any idea why the install selection from the CD would not work?
    Kevin

    "Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Kevin, rt click on the cd drive and select Explore. Then look for the
    > Drakan.exe file and rt click and select Properties>Compatibility. Check
    > run this program in compatibility mode box and choose 95. Click Apply Ok
    > Then double click on it. See if it works Ok.
    > "Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
    >>game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
    >>autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
    >>select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
    >>totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
    >>going wrong? thanks, Kevin

Games Windows XP Software