Installing Old Software in Windows XP

August 18, 2005 8:28:29 PM

I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
select install, the computer tries to start installation of another, totally
unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be going
wrong? thanks, Kevin
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:02:35 PM

What program? Is it an MS Office program?

SWAG, the program that comes up either has Install on Demand or there is
something screwed up with that program's installation.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u258OyEpFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kevin <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
> game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
> autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
> select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
> totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
> going wrong? thanks, Kevin
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:04:52 AM

Hi,

Resolving problems with the Windows installer:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

Check especially the link to the installer cleanup utility.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
>game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
>autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
>select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
>totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
>going wrong? thanks, Kevin

August 19, 2005 5:04:27 AM

Kevin, rt click on the cd drive and select Explore. Then look for the
Drakan.exe file and rt click and select Properties>Compatibility. Check run
this program in compatibility mode box and choose 95. Click Apply Ok Then
double click on it. See if it works Ok.
"Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I want to install a very old game, Drakan. I am using Windows XP Pro. This
>game was intended for Win 95 or Win 98. When I insert the Drakan game CD,
>autoplay brings up a menu that has the installation option on it. When I
>select install, the computer tries to start installation of another,
>totally unrelated program already installed on my computer. What could be
>going wrong? thanks, Kevin

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:04:28 AM

Hi, thanks. I was able to select Explore and run the setup program. It
worked ok. Any idea why the install selection from the CD would not work?
Kevin

!