OS upgrading help

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Computers
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 29, 2012 6:56:32 PM

So, I'm a little confused and need some help upgrading my OS. I'm building a new computer, and I had help in the forums about this. I'm reusing the hard drive from my current computer for it and I want to upgrade the OS on it from Windows Vista Home 32-bit to Windows 7 Home 64-bit. The Windows Vista was pre-installed on the computer when I bought it so I don't have an install disc for it. How would I go about upgrading?

More about : upgrading

a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:07:23 PM

If it was pre-installed it may be an OEM copy, and in that case, you cannot install it onto another PC. If it is not OEM, I would contact Microsoft if you do not have your CDKey.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:15:37 PM

Well, can I somehow completely wipe the whole hard drive of the current operating system, is that formatting?, and buy a 64-bit OEM version of Windows 7 Home and install it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:17:16 PM

Yes, it is more or less formatting the drive. If you buy a new copy of windows, put it in your optical drive and change the boot priority in the BIOS to the optical drive, it should let you install onto that HDD, right over the other stuff on there (it will probably tell you it needs to format). Just be aware that you may lose your data, back anything you need up before proceeding.
October 29, 2012 7:27:52 PM

How do you get to the BIOS and change the boot priority? I don't know how this all works, would I need to go to the BIOS first and do that, then stick the disc in and kinda follow instructions and format the drive if it prompts or stick the disc in first and then I can go to the BIOS and and do the rest? On the microsoft website, it says that the option to format your hard drive comes up when you do a custom install of windows 7.

I am a total noob at this computer stuff.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:29:55 PM

Hi :) 

If you buy a RETAIL version of 7 you will get BOTH 32 and 64 bit discs in the pack....

You can install whichever you wish (but not both on 2 machines)

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:32:41 PM

It depends on your machine, usually you push the DEL key or something like that as it is booting up. You could post your specs and we may be able to give you a more detailed description of the options.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:52:27 PM

This box is useless now rofl after editing the last messege. Wish I could delete this one.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:52:31 PM

This is what my new computer will have:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lPtV

I hope the link works, it wouldn't on another website.

My current computer's specs are:

Model: HP-Pavilion KJ377AA-ABA m8400f
Processor: 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Board: ECS Nettle3 2.2
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.17 04/23/2008

file:///C: /Program/ 20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/ (LadyWolf-PC) .html

I don't know if others can view that link or just me. Delete spaces but I don't think it'll work for others afterall. I don't know what else to write down.
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:17:05 AM

Best answer selected by windchaser90.
m
l
!