Your question

New Setup

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Western Digital
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2003 3:41:42 AM

I posted some specs awhile back, well i've gone back and 'fixed' it up a tad :p 

$150 Chenming Model# 601AE-SL (Silver) w/ Side Panel Window Front USB 2.0 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-125-42...

$292 (for the 2.8) 2.8_800BX Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz 800MHz 478pin 512K CPU Retail

$100 [1 gig] 2x. PC3200 512MB DDR400 64X64 Infineon Memory

$125 Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4(478)/865PE/FSB 800/SATA/8X/GBL/1394/ATX Motherboard

$115 Western Digital WD1200JB 120GB ATA100 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive

$120 Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum 6.1 PCI Sound Card

$90 Creative Inspire 6600 6.1 7pcs Speaker System, Retail

$390ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DVI/TV/2H AGP Video Card Bulk | Ma Labs Part#: AT-980_256

$20 (Light for case) Red/Blue Cold Cathode Light

That sound good?

More about : setup

June 12, 2003 3:46:56 AM

If it sounds good? It sounds very good! :smile:

Just out of curiosity, you'll use RAID with these drives? How do you intend to use those four drives?... :eek: 
June 12, 2003 3:48:24 AM

I assume you will also add a CD Drive and maybe a floppy. Also what is gosh names requires 480GB of HD space :)  Other then that looks fine
Related resources
June 12, 2003 1:34:32 PM

It sounds bloody spectacular to me! :) 

So does that mean that you're running a RAID 10 array or a RAID 0 array and a RAID 1 array seperately, or what?

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
June 12, 2003 5:43:41 PM

I already have a Sony DRU500AX drive ;)  and for the RAID.. i'm not sure yet, could someone help me here? (Its not gonna be a fileserver or anything, so i was thinking along the lines of RAID 1?). As for the amount of space, i hate deleting stuff :p 
June 12, 2003 5:50:11 PM

Run the Hard drives in a Raid10/Raid1+0 fashion.

This was taken from another post by slvr_phoenix, so disregard some of the other comments.

"Wow. Appearantly you know even less about RAID than I thought. There are several different RAID setups. What you seem to be talking about is RAID 1 which is a redundant backup where the contents of the first drive are mirrored to the second drive. That way should either hard drive fail, your data is still on the other hard drive. The only real drawback is that you lose half of your storage space.

RAID 0 which is far more commonly used is striping the data across two hard drives. The advantage is that you can read and write data faster. You also don't really lose any of your storage space. The disadvantage is that should either drive fail then all data on both drives is usually completely and totally lost. (Because it's split across both drives.)

Then there are RAID 3 and 5 which are extremely rare to even find on an IDE/SATA setup. These are a neat method of storing data across several drives but with recovery information also stored, so you get the advantages of both RAID 1 and RAID 0 without either of their drawbacks (well, a little less storage space, but a lot more than just half) ... but you need more than 2 drives to do it. This is what most file servers are set up with.

And then there's a combination of RAID 0 and 1 (usually called RAID10) where you make a RAID 1 array to backup a RAID 0 array. This takes four hard drives and only has half of your storage space, but it's pretty safe and pretty fast.

The vast majority of the SATA onboard RAID only supports RAID 0. The rest pretty much only support RAID 0 and RAID 1. On rare occasion you also see support for RAID 10. Any other RAID modes generally require a card because onboard won't support them.

Oh, except for JBOD (just a bunch of disks) which seems to be supported by almost all RAID controllers, onboard or not. Of course it isn't actually RAID. It's just a bunch of disks squished together into one logical drive. I'm not even sure what the point of it is, really."

If you are going to use the 4 drives it will only waste some of the space creating a RAID setup but it will definetly be faster than hooking all of those up in regualr fashion.

Mike
June 12, 2003 8:05:34 PM

Quote:
Run the Hard drives in a Raid10/Raid1+0 fashion.

That was my first thought too. But then I thought about it some more, and really with just the purchase of a good IDE RAID card it could be in a RAID5 configuration which would give a good speed boost and only be a small reduction in total storage space compared to a RAID10 configuration. :) 

I mean if you're going to go nuts, go all out, right? :) 

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
!