Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does Dell XPS 9100 support ssd hd's?

Last response: in Computer Brands
January 26, 2013 2:42:05 PM

I want to ntsall a Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch SATA III Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

Into This Dell XPS 9100 ( POS) will It work?. I want to use tha t for my OS N Progs and a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA

III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX for storage.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Dell Support is Ueless!!!

Thank You
a b $ Windows 7
a c 119 G Storage
January 26, 2013 3:43:39 PM

Dell support couldn't tell you if it would work ?
I will say that as long as you have the sata data and power connection it will work. The thing you will have trouble with is the way Dell loads the operating system and you will have a challange in removing it.
m
l
January 30, 2013 9:39:03 PM

Inzone

Thanks for the info. Yead Dell wouldn't help, they kept tranferrring me around n finally got cut of (hung up on) 2wice!

And your soooo right. Dell has thier Bios set up so that you cant even OC It.......It's a nightmare!

So I'm just gonna leave this POS alone , until i can make my own build!

I Really appeciate the advice though.

Thanks Very Much!!!

Lefty
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 119 G Storage
January 31, 2013 4:40:24 PM

Depending on what your budget is and how far you want to take this , if I were in your place I would take the hard drive and format it and then take and install the SSD and load Windows 7 on it and be done with Dell. This way you control the hard drives and what's on it and you don't have to be concerned with what Dell has laoded on the drive. You will just have to buy an OS.
February 10, 2013 5:13:10 PM

Best answer selected by Lefty666.
m
l
May 3, 2013 2:01:48 PM

inzone said:
Depending on what your budget is and how far you want to take this , if I were in your place I would take the hard drive and format it and then take and install the SSD and load Windows 7 on it and be done with Dell. This way you control the hard drives and what's on it and you don't have to be concerned with what Dell has laoded on the drive. You will just have to buy an OS.

m
l
May 3, 2013 2:25:34 PM

Hey inzone,
Thanks for ALL your advice on this.
I finally got someone froim dell to tell me that this Mobo doesn't support sata3 6g
So, I just bought a Sata3 6G 2 port Pcie 1X Controller Card.

Now I want to use you advice and install windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit onto the SSD, I fig a 64 gig SSD would be plenty of room for the OS n the antivirus prog and that's it!. on the 2nd port, I want to connect my WD 1tb Velociraptor.
Then that leaves me with 2- Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX
Eventually, i'm gonna turn this into a server, so I'l be taking all the HD's out of this pos but the SSD .
Then I'll put in 4 3TB WD NAS HD's...........I don't know how good of an Idea this is ( Turning it into a sever) but I fig with a Quad coe 2,8 CPU and 16 gigs of Ram, It would be a much quicker NAS Device instead of a Synology that I was gonna Buy, but why waste this PC?
I measn sinology has Great GUI's.what king of GUI would I be abkle to use in this?
Would I have to put in a Sever OS...zI get lost here.i'm not that advanced .............Yet!!!
So I guess if you can suggest what size SSD I should use? I'll deal with the server After I build my new system!
TY Again!!!
Lefty
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 119 G Storage
May 3, 2013 2:37:53 PM

I have been using SSDs since they came out and have had all kinds of different sizes, brands and speeds. I have found that the best size SSD for the main OS drive, that will give you room for the OS and some applications or games is the 256gb.
However for the server since you will only be using it for the OS and antivirus then you can go with a 128gb or 90gb. You don't want to leave yourself with too little room since there will be Windows updates and maybe another program that you may want to add later on. Plus you do not want to ever fill a SSD past 80% capacity , when a SSD gets past 80% it starts to have a negative effect on the performance.
m
l
May 4, 2013 10:28:56 AM

inzone said:
I have been using SSDs since they came out and have had all kinds of different sizes, brands and speeds. I have found that the best size SSD for the main OS drive, that will give you room for the OS and some applications or games is the 256gb.
However for the server since you will only be using it for the OS and antivirus then you can go with a 128gb or 90gb. You don't want to leave yourself with too little room since there will be Windows updates and maybe another program that you may want to add later on. Plus you do not want to ever fill a SSD past 80% capacity , when a SSD gets past 80% it starts to have a negative effect on the performance.

Thanks Inzone!!!
Ok I'm heading to microcenter rite now to pick up a 256Gig SSD. I'm going to conn that and the Velociraptor to the
HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card that I just Bought
Hopefully it works .lmao
I'll let u know!!! Like u told me b4, forget dell wipe the HD and Load win 7 on the SSD( with the HD Disconnected)
Your a Graet guy to take your time out to help newbies like me.
Not many peeps want to deal with it.
With ALL the help you have given me, I feel like I owe u something!
I can't begin to tell you how much I Appreciate it!!!!
Thanks inxone!!!
Lefty

I'll let u know if this controller car even works on this POS

m
l
!