Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I'm building two new computers next week! <i>[orgasm]</i>

I'm making one Intel and one AMD based computer. The P4 system will be for myself and the XP system for my brother. Let me know what you think.

<i>:::note some prices include shipping, some don't:::</i>

<b>System 1</b> ~ $775
---------------------------------
<b>Case</b>
Black Chenming X-Sonic - $65
<i>350W Turbolink PSU - $0 :included w/case</i>
<b>Main Components</b>
DFI LANParty PRO875 - $200
Pentium4 2.4C GHz - $181
Zalman CNPS7000-Cu - $37
2x512MB HyperX DDR434 - $210
<b>Add-ins</b>
<i>3D Prophet FDX 8500 LE - $0 :from current system</i>
<b>Drives</b>
<i>2x100GB WD1000BB - $0 :from current system</i>
DVD LITE ON 16X Black - $33
<b>Input</b>
MS Intelli Explorer 3.0a - $29
MS Internet Keyboard Blk - $20

<b>System 2</b> ~ $620
---------------------------------
<b>Case</b>
Silver Chenming X-Sonic - $65
<i>350W Turbolink PSU - $0 :included w/case</i>
<b>Main Components</b>
DFI LANParty NFII Ultra - $170
AMD 2500+XP Barton - $94
Thermalright SLK-800A - $34
Thermaltake Smart Fan II - $15
2x256MB HyperX DDR434 - $111
<b>Add-ins</b>
<i>MSI GeForce4 4400 - $0 :from current system</i>
<b>Drives</b>
80GB WD800JB - $82
<i>LG DVD/CDRW Combo - $0 :from current system</i>
<b>Input</b>
MS Intelli Explorer 3.0a - $29
MS Internet Keyboard Blk - $20

I'm not so sure about the PSU but I figure it's free so I'll give it a try. Hopefully the onboard sound etc will be enough that I wont need to fill those PCI slots. As for Monitors/Speakers etc I have those lieing around. I will also be adding case fans and UV lights.

I would just like some opinions on these setups. Where I went horribly wrong, what you would do, what isn't going to work/why, what kind of overclock you think I can pull off, estimated 3dmark scores, just whatever comes to mind lemme hear it.

<i>Btw my current system will still be fully operational and will be given away as a gift/payment (I owe $$$).</i> :smile:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Both systems look very good....The power supplys definately suck...if you have any system instabilities this is more than likely the cause....more so on the P4 system than the Amd system since it pulls more +12amperage.....If you have problems I suggest the ENERMAX EG365AX-VE (W)FMA power supply although it is also a 350w psu it will provide all the +12v power you need unlike the generic crap, if you want you can get the 465 instead which is a 460w psu....I have always comsidered DFI mobos as second rate although I havent seen these two in action so I cant make any comments...the chipsets on the two mobos are top notch so it should stil perform up there with the other better name mobos no matter what...the only thing you might lose is overclockability and features...the memory selection was very good....In all they both will be very quick systems....although the p4 system will lag behind the amd system in gaming and 3dmark scores due to the 8500LE you are running.

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Yeah I suspect the PSU's suck too and if under load my fan's are slowing I will definately replace with nice ~450+ units by a major name (Antec, Enermax, Fortron).

As for DFI, I totally agree but if you look at reviews their LANPARTY line of mobo's does extremely well. I was originally going to go Abit with IS7 and NF7-S but these DFI come with a lot of features, great reviews, and looks > all (lol). When it comes to motherboards I can't resist getting full featured latest/greatest (I think it's a disorder).

Bro plays more games than me so I'm letting him take the better gfx. We will upgrade as needed.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One thing to note: If your bro is actually going to use that computer for LAN partying (or if for any other reason that PC will see a lot of travel) then you should probably ditch that mobo in favor of one that has the holes to mount a heat sink directly onto the mobo, and you should probably ditch that heat sink for one that mounts directly onto the mobo. No one wants a heavy heat sink getting loose because they picked up and put down their PC one too many times.

If the PC is going to stay in one place though then what you're looking at is just peachy.

Well ... I'm also a little concerned with DFI myself, but hey, maybe they won't suck after all... It certainly couldn't be any worse than some of the other 3rd party mobos out there.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I'm not really concerned with the hink sink falling falling off but I am concerned with crushing the CPU during travels. Do you think I should use a shim? The NFII has or doesn't have holes to mount a heatsink? Also the mountable SLK-800U is 50 more grams.

Anyway, this computer won't be traveling all that often (<1 month)(we have the fastest internet). Guess we'll have to be extra careful with it on the move.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not really concerned with the hink sink falling falling off but I am concerned with crushing the CPU during travels.
I'm not so concerned with the heat sink falling off either. I mean those 3-pin clip systems are generally pretty good at protecting against that. I'd be more concerned though that the heat sink might shift or slide slightly so that it's making worse contact with the CPU but <i>looks</i> like it's on right. But if you're careful when you move it and/or reseat it after major moves it shouldn't really be a problem.

Mounting it to the motherboard is just a stress reducer. (As in you stress out less because you really never have to worry about the heat sink mounting again.)

Do you think I should use a shim?
That's a tough call. I've heard a lot of good things about shims, and a lot of bad things. I think it probably all depends on the shim ... or luck ... or something. **shrug** Skill perhaps? In theory though, a good shim would definately help keep the heat sink from sliding.

The NFII has or doesn't have holes to mount a heatsink?
I didn't see any in the picture on their website, so I'd have to assume that either no it doesn't or that they're taking pictures of an engineering sample. I'd say probably the former.

Also the mountable SLK-800U is 50 more grams.
Is that a concern? The weight restrictions that AMD talks about are only for heat sinks that clip to the socket. Heat sinks that mount directly to the motherboard are so much safer that their weight just doesn't matter. :)

Well, unless you think that 50 grams is going to make it that much heavier to lift the PC. ;)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
WTF? DFI? I think I have some old slot 1 DFI boards kicking around here somewhere but I'd never even think about buying a new one. Who the hell are DFI? You're paying big bucks for those boards and lets face it, the MOBO is the centre of your system. I'd go for something a little more mainstream. But maybe that's all just marketing.

I never ever heard a good thing about Zalman CPU coolers.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: