sticky gray situation

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:

*disabed Norton Firewall
*disconnected/reconnected modem cables
*tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
*called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
it's a software issue.
*when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
computer.)

I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
--
Thanks, Phil
4 answers Last reply
More about sticky gray situation
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Phil wrote:

    > I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
    > internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
    > wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
    > get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
    > which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
    > are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:
    >
    > *disabed Norton Firewall
    > *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
    > *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
    > *called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
    > it's a software issue.
    > *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
    > message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
    > computer.)
    >
    > I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
    > still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
    > me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
    > like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
    > select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Sengupta, I followed the instrucions in (KB) and deleted the value
    (nextid) in the registry, then rebooted the computer and tried again, but
    still the box is unavailable to select.
    --
    Thanks, Phil


    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Phil wrote:
    >
    > > I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
    > > internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
    > > wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
    > > get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
    > > which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
    > > are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:
    > >
    > > *disabed Norton Firewall
    > > *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
    > > *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
    > > *called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
    > > it's a software issue.
    > > *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
    > > message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
    > > computer.)
    > >
    > > I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
    > > still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
    > > me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
    > > like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
    > > select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    --
    Thanks, Phil


    "Phil" wrote:

    > I have a dilemma, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
    > internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
    > wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
    > get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
    > which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's unavailable. These are the troubleshooting measures I have taken fo far:

    > *disabed Norton Firewall
    > *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
    > *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
    > *called Dell, who said it's a software issue. (warrent has run out)
    > *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk I get an error
    > message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
    > computer.)
    > followed the instructions in (KB) and deleted the value (nextid in the registry and rebooted the system, to no avail I still cannot select the appropriate box.)

    > I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
    > still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
    > me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
    > like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
    > select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
    > --
    > Thanks, Phil
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Phil,

    Very old and common issue, easy fix: Either run the edit on line 87 or do
    it manually:

    Dial-Up Modem or PPPoE is Unavailable (Line 87)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    Manual Edit:

    Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
    Delete the subkeys listed except 13 and 4.

    Standard Checkpoints:

    Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Set these three to "Automatic":

    Remote Access Connection Manager, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,
    Telephony.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


    "Phil" <phil56_@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:52EDD59F-C6A8-4968-BCA2-0A370BFB02EA@microsoft.com...
    >
    > --
    > Thanks, Phil
    >
    >
    > "Phil" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a dilemma, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
    >> internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
    >> wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and
    >> when I
    >> get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
    >> which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's unavailable.
    >> These are the troubleshooting measures I have taken fo far:
    >
    >> *disabed Norton Firewall
    >> *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
    >> *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
    >> *called Dell, who said it's a software issue. (warrent has run out)
    >> *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk I get an error
    >> message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
    >> computer.)
    >> followed the instructions in (KB) and deleted the value (nextid in the
    >> registry and rebooted the system, to no avail I still cannot select the
    >> appropriate box.)
    >
    >> I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty
    >> was
    >> still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician
    >> had
    >> me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or
    >> something
    >> like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
    >> select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
    >> --
    >> Thanks, Phil
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Internet Service Providers Windows XP