sticky gray situation

August 18, 2005 9:35:15 PM

I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:

*disabed Norton Firewall
*disconnected/reconnected modem cables
*tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
*called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
it's a software issue.
*when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
computer.)

I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
--
Thanks, Phil

More about : sticky gray situation

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:12:07 AM

Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Phil wrote:

> I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
> internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
> wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
> get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
> which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
> are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:
>
> *disabed Norton Firewall
> *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
> *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
> *called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
> it's a software issue.
> *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
> message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
> computer.)
>
> I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
> still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
> me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
> like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
> select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
August 19, 2005 5:16:09 PM

Thanks Sengupta, I followed the instrucions in (KB) and deleted the value
(nextid) in the registry, then rebooted the computer and tried again, but
still the box is unavailable to select.
--
Thanks, Phil

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Phil wrote:
>
> > I have a delima, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
> > internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
> > wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
> > get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
> > which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's shaded gray. These
> > are the troubleshooting measures I have so far taken:
> >
> > *disabed Norton Firewall
> > *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
> > *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
> > *called the manufacturer Dell, who said the warrenty has run out and that
> > it's a software issue.
> > *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk get an error
> > message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
> > computer.)
> >
> > I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
> > still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
> > me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
> > like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
> > select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.

Related resources
August 19, 2005 6:01:01 PM

Thanks, Phil

"Phil" wrote:

> I have a dilemma, I am running windows/xp and I am trying to establish my
> internet connection with my ISP (Verizonbroadband). In the new connection
> wizard I try to create a new connection I click next, next, next, and when I
> get to the (connect to broadband internet using username and password),
> which is the box I need to select, I can't because it's unavailable. These are the troubleshooting measures I have taken fo far:

> *disabed Norton Firewall
> *disconnected/reconnected modem cables
> *tried system restore (cannot set the date back far enough)
> *called Dell, who said it's a software issue. (warrent has run out)
> *when I try to install with the Verizon installation disk I get an error
> message (insallation cannot continue due to configuration setting on you
> computer.)
> followed the instructions in (KB) and deleted the value (nextid in the registry and rebooted the system, to no avail I still cannot select the appropriate box.)

> I have had this situation before about a year ago (when when my warrenty was
> still valid), when I had to re-install windows/xp. The Dell technician had
> me go into the registry and delete a key or value in (telephony) or something
> like that. I was then able to go back into the new connection wizard and
> select the appropriate box. Any solid advise or leads would be helpful.
> --
> Thanks, Phil
August 20, 2005 2:24:56 AM

Hi Phil,

Very old and common issue, easy fix: Either run the edit on line 87 or do
it manually:

Dial-Up Modem or PPPoE is Unavailable (Line 87)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Manual Edit:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
Delete the subkeys listed except 13 and 4.

Standard Checkpoints:

Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Set these three to "Automatic":

Remote Access Connection Manager, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,
Telephony.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)