President's Day

dw

Any idea if Dell has any really special sales on President's Day or should
I just go ahead and order a 1150 laptop now.
Would appreciate any critiques of the 1150 w/2.8 GHz, 60 GB HD, 15" XGA,
512 MB, 24X CDRW/DVD Combo drive. Will be for personal use and won't rely
heavily on battery power.

Thanks,

Dick

deals change as much as twice a week. also deal differ in the 'home/small
office' division and the 'small business' division that you can order from
even as an individual. small business collects sales tax from all states
and home only collects sales tax in a few states... perhaps yours so there
may be no distinction on that point. right now the home division does not
have particularly great pricing on the inspiron 1150. it is often $100 to
$200 less than the current price. not a huge amount of money but a big
percentage difference in my opinion. there is a good deal on the inspiron
6000 in both the home division (deal of the week) and the small business
division (outrageous deals)... the small business deal is probably the
better deal and has a $100 rebate too. you may or may not like the inspiron
6000, but it would mean much better battery life (the only real negative
about the inspiron 1150 is battery life). if you want the 1150 then just
check out the pricing each day and you will know when to enter your order...
i think we are talking at most a couple of weeks of looking before the
better price comes around again... or buy now if the $100-$200 isn't that
big a deal to you. good luck.

"DW" <kinnakeet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Any idea if Dell has any really special sales on President's Day or
> should I just go ahead and order a 1150 laptop now.
> Would appreciate any critiques of the 1150 w/2.8 GHz, 60 GB HD, 15" XGA,
> 512 MB, 24X CDRW/DVD Combo drive. Will be for personal use and won't rely
> heavily on battery power.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick

dw

Thanks, Chris. I've been tracking the price the past week or so. All the
changes could drive a person up a tree <G>

Dick

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:11:55 GMT, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>small business collects sales tax from all states
>and home only collects sales tax in a few states

for Home, Pennsylvania comes up as taxable at checkout when I just tested it

dw

The Dimension I got last year through Home was taxed. This was the first
time Dell taxed a computer purchase of mine. Guess it was because Dell had
opened a couple kisoks (sp?) in Pa.and Pa. wanted their share.

<no@no.nospam> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:11:55 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>small business collects sales tax from all states
>>and home only collects sales tax in a few states
>
> for Home, Pennsylvania comes up as taxable at checkout when I just tested
> it

there seems to be a good deal on the inspiron 1150 in the small business
division now...
2.8GHz, 15" XGA, 30 GB HD, 256MB, 24X CDRW/DVD, 1 Year = $843 + $? tax + $0
shipping - $100 rebate.
+$100 to go from 30gb to 60gb drive from dell that you mentioned, but this
drive is a 4200rpm drive. i would sooner by a 5400rpm drive for the same
money at newegg.com
+$100 for a second 256mb memory module from dell (for the 512mb that you
mentioned), i would sooner buy a second 256mb model from crucial for $50 or
a 512mb module from crucial for $95 (system total of 768mb).
be sure to avoid the 90 day warranty. the 1 year warranty is only $19 more.

> Thanks, Chris. I've been tracking the price the past week or so. All the
> changes could drive a person up a tree <G>
>
> Dick
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> deals change as much as twice a week. also deal differ in the
>> 'home/small office' division and the 'small business' division that you
>> can order from even as an individual. small business collects sales tax
>> from all states and home only collects sales tax in a few states...
>> perhaps yours so there may be no distinction on that point. right now
>> the home division does not have particularly great pricing on the
>> inspiron 1150. it is often $100 to $200 less than the current price.
>> not a huge amount of money but a big percentage difference in my opinion.
>> there is a good deal on the inspiron 6000 in both the home division (deal
>> of the week) and the small business division (outrageous deals)... the
>> small business deal is probably the better deal and has a $100 rebate
>> too. you may or may not like the inspiron 6000, but it would mean much
>> better battery life (the only real negative about the inspiron 1150 is
>> battery life). if you want the 1150 then just check out the pricing each
>> day and you will know when to enter your order... i think we are talking
>> at most a couple of weeks of looking before the better price comes around
>> again... or buy now if the $100-$200 isn't that big a deal to you. good
>> luck.
>>
>> "DW" <kinnakeet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Any idea if Dell has any really special sales on President's Day or
>>> should I just go ahead and order a 1150 laptop now.
>>> Would appreciate any critiques of the 1150 w/2.8 GHz, 60 GB HD, 15"
>>> XGA, 512 MB, 24X CDRW/DVD Combo drive. Will be for personal use and
>>> won't rely heavily on battery power.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dick

ps, you get a free dell b/g wireless card too (if you select it).