My Computer and Add/Remove Software don't work after XP up..

I use automatic updates, and a few weeks ago my system installed a series of
updates to SP2. Before the install, everything was working fine. I run
Norton and Zone Alarm Pro all the time, and the update installed with these
programs running and restarted my machine. I've been discovering a few
problems as the weeks proceed, but right away I discovered that if I try to
open My Computer folder, it's blank and the system locks up. I have to use
Task Manager to close My Computer. I can get to my c drive and find my
folders by going through my network places. Other folders for which I
created shortcuts to the desktop open fine. I thought I might try to delete
the latest updates and try again, but Add/Remove programs opens with a blank
screen--nothing comes up at all in the programs list. I had done some
defragging after the update, and I found I can't use system restore to go
back to any dates at all--no system restore dates work, though they show in
the date list.

The rest of my system seems to be working and relatively stable, but I'm a
bit worried about something unusual showing up. If I check for updates right
now, I'm told I have no high priortiy updates required, and what's left
relates to services I don't use so I haven't done anything else to attempt a
fix.

Thanks for any suggestions.
3 answers Last reply
More about computer remove software work

    That should repair,try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to
    run,type:
    VERIFY ON Then type:Sfc /Scannow When its thru type:CHKDSK C: /F
    Agree to restart,then type:EXIT Remove cd,restart computer.If Sfc (windows
    file protection) doesnt fix,then you have a corrupted user account,create
    new,
    delete old account.

    "Brian Preston" wrote:

    > I use automatic updates, and a few weeks ago my system installed a series of
    > updates to SP2. Before the install, everything was working fine. I run
    > Norton and Zone Alarm Pro all the time, and the update installed with these
    > programs running and restarted my machine. I've been discovering a few
    > problems as the weeks proceed, but right away I discovered that if I try to
    > open My Computer folder, it's blank and the system locks up. I have to use
    > Task Manager to close My Computer. I can get to my c drive and find my
    > folders by going through my network places. Other folders for which I
    > created shortcuts to the desktop open fine. I thought I might try to delete
    > the latest updates and try again, but Add/Remove programs opens with a blank
    > screen--nothing comes up at all in the programs list. I had done some
    > defragging after the update, and I found I can't use system restore to go
    > back to any dates at all--no system restore dates work, though they show in
    > the date list.
    >
    > The rest of my system seems to be working and relatively stable, but I'm a
    > bit worried about something unusual showing up. If I check for updates right
    > now, I'm told I have no high priortiy updates required, and what's left
    > relates to services I don't use so I haven't done anything else to attempt a
    > fix.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    Thanks, I'm not an expert at this, but I figured out your directions and
    things appear back to normal in both My Computer and Add/Remove programs.

    "Brian Preston" <BrianPreston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4CFD2644-2EAC-4125-A28E-EE44EBDFB5A9@microsoft.com
    > I use automatic updates, and a few weeks ago my system installed a
    > series of updates to SP2. Before the install, everything was working
    > fine. I run Norton and Zone Alarm Pro all the time, and the update
    > installed with these programs running and restarted my machine. I've
    > been discovering a few problems as the weeks proceed, but right away
    > I discovered that if I try to open My Computer folder, it's blank and
    > the system locks up. I have to use Task Manager to close My
    > Computer. I can get to my c drive and find my folders by going
    > through my network places. Other folders for which I created
    > shortcuts to the desktop open fine. I thought I might try to delete
    > the latest updates and try again, but Add/Remove programs opens with
    > a blank screen--nothing comes up at all in the programs list. I had
    > done some defragging after the update, and I found I can't use system
    > restore to go back to any dates at all--no system restore dates work,
    > though they show in the date list.
    >
    > The rest of my system seems to be working and relatively stable, but
    > I'm a bit worried about something unusual showing up. If I check for
    > updates right now, I'm told I have no high priortiy updates required,
    > and what's left relates to services I don't use so I haven't done
    > anything else to attempt a fix.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Computers Windows XP