where to apply electrical tape

Searching for help with CPU fan noise, I've found several posts on
this group that suggest applying electrical tape to the green fan
shroud. Please forgive my boneheadedness, but what should the green
fan shroud be taped _to_ in order to dampen fan vibration?

David Wilson-Okamura <david@virgil.org> coughed up the following:

> Searching for help with CPU fan noise, I've found several posts on
> this group that suggest applying electrical tape to the green fan
> shroud. Please forgive my boneheadedness, but what should the green
> fan shroud be taped _to_ in order to dampen fan vibration?

They probably mean to tape it to the fan assembly. Basically tape over
all the joints where it is otherwise attached losely, so that it cannot
rattle.

But when I was looking for a noise in my Dim8300, I too thought it was
the fan shroud. So I disassembled it and the noise persisted. Sounds
can /seem/ like they come from one place when in reality they don't.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of