Strange freeze situation-HELP

August 18, 2005 10:20:02 PM

Since yesterday (8/17), my computer (WinXP SP2) has started to freeze for
about 1 minute, no matter what I am doing and then works, freezes again,
works, freezes again. The only thing I can think of is that I un-installed
Weather Desktop, which slowed down the computer at start up. I've ran my
anti-virus program & Microsoft's new Anti-spyware and nothing! No virus, no
spyware. It is very frustrating to do anything on the computer, knowing it
will freeze at any moment. PLEASE HELP!
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:35:21 AM

"5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since yesterday (8/17), my computer (WinXP SP2) has started to freeze
> for about 1 minute, no matter what I am doing and then works, freezes
> again, works, freezes again. The only thing I can think of is that I
> un-installed Weather Desktop, which slowed down the computer at start
> up. I've ran my anti-virus program & Microsoft's new Anti-spyware
> and nothing! No virus, no spyware. It is very frustrating to do
> anything on the computer, knowing it will freeze at any moment.
> PLEASE HELP!

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

5hulses wrote:

> Since yesterday (8/17), my computer (WinXP SP2) has started to freeze for
> about 1 minute, no matter what I am doing and then works, freezes again,
> works, freezes again. The only thing I can think of is that I un-installed
> Weather Desktop, which slowed down the computer at start up. I've ran my
> anti-virus program & Microsoft's new Anti-spyware and nothing! No virus, no
> spyware. It is very frustrating to do anything on the computer, knowing it
> will freeze at any moment. PLEASE HELP!

In addition to Frank's post you can try some clean boot troubleshooting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User