Best Cooling System for my Comp......

Asab

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Hi there guy's I just put my latest system togeather and want to overclock the CPU and video card. What would you use for the following system.
P4C800 Deluxe
P4 3.0c 800Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro 256
Corsair XMS 3500 (1 Gig)
2x Western Digital Raptor Drives In Raid 0
1 Maxtor 120 8 meg cash HD (for BS stuff)
Cheif Tec Case 5 Fans for Max cooling
Viewsonic G220FB (Only flat without the dam lines that I know of)
500 Watt Tru Power supply.

Well thats it for now gonna add a SB Audigy 2 soon also.

I just want a good cooling system for my CPU and Video card so I can Rock and roll.......

Thanks sooo much im sure you guy's will get me going the right way..............Asab

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I would suggest the <A HREF="http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/cnps7000cu.htm" target="_new">Zalman-CNPS7000-Cu</A> if you'll be air cooling that P4. It's what I'll be getting for my new p4 system next week. Low noise, good cooling, and good value. It may not be the best for the highest O/C but it looks like it can hold its own.

As for vid card cooling, I think most come with good stock cooling (although I'm probably wrong), I would just get one from a oem with nice stock cooling.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Well for the video card you are limited to only a few after market parts such as the Zalman cooler that uses a heatpipe. But for the CPU I would strongly recommend the Thermalright SLK-900 with a good 92mm fan - 1 Big solid copper cooler that keeps my 2500+ running 2GHz @ 36 degrees under full load (OK not a massive overclock I know)

The other choice that you have is water cooling which will give you better overclocking potential for BOTH you CPU and video card. Obviously the cost and installation issues are greater but this could be your only option if you are aiming at massive overclocking speeds - especially on your video card.

There are many mods on the net where you can modify a large CPU hsf to use on a video card and then cool all the ram chips as well but they are limited on what you can acheive and you often loose 1 or 2 PCI slots with these mods.

I would say that you would be better preforming only modest overclocking on your video card using the stock heatsink and then make sure that you have good quality memory with heat spreaders and overclock the hell out of your CPU since there are many more varied and easier options for CPU overclocking compared with video cards.

Besides your system specs are so hot that I doubt that you would notice the difference until Doom 3 comes along with Half Life 2 and makes us all feel inadequate with our PCs. Yes you might up your benchmark scores a little but to actually notice this in-game would be very difficult. See my 640 x 480 thread which got me flamed a little for more on this.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

Asab

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
So your saying I would not gain much from overclocking the Video Card and CPU ?

I thought I could get a good amount more from the system if I did. Hmmm........no Im a little dazed......lol....

Asab

All I Need is a Clear Shot To The Head..........

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I can't help you much on this subject.

All I wanted to say was that I admire your setup. That is a strong, clean setup.

You fortunate bastard. :smile: