Just another Ghost 2003 question

Please forgive me for posting this to this newsgroup but I could not
get an answer in the Symantec newsgroups. My problem is with the
speed Ghost 2003 (Running from PC-DOS floppy bootup) seems to be
writing to DVD+R disks. First my equipment.

XPHome-SP2 with all updates
OptoRite DD0401 Optical Drive with latest firmware upgrades
Latest version of Nero
Ghost 2003

Ghost Boot floppy autoexec.bat file has this:
SET TZ=GHO+5:00
MOUSE.COM
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE -bootcd -ghostoncd -z2

The Optical drive has the ability to write to DVD+R disks at 8x speed.
I have been doing Ghost backups 4x disks because I had a 100 count
drum of 4x DVD+R disks. After running out, I purchased a drum of 8x
DVD+R disks. With the 4x disks, it always took around 1 3/4 hr to do
the backup on 2 disks. With the 8x disks, it takes the same exact
time.

Is there something I am missing? Any more command line parameters? I
just thought that I would be cutting my backup times in half or at
least shortening the time by going from 4x to 8x DVD+R disks.

Regards,
Ed
11 answers Last reply
More about just ghost 2003 question

    Do these DVD+Rs burn at 8X elsewhere???

    "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
    > Please forgive me for posting this to this newsgroup but I could not
    > get an answer in the Symantec newsgroups. My problem is with the
    > speed Ghost 2003 (Running from PC-DOS floppy bootup) seems to be
    > writing to DVD+R disks. First my equipment.
    >
    > XPHome-SP2 with all updates
    > OptoRite DD0401 Optical Drive with latest firmware upgrades
    > Latest version of Nero
    > Ghost 2003
    >
    > Ghost Boot floppy autoexec.bat file has this:
    > SET TZ=GHO+5:00
    > MOUSE.COM
    > CD GHOST
    > GHOST.EXE -bootcd -ghostoncd -z2
    >

    > The Optical drive has the ability to write to DVD+R disks at 8x speed.
    > I have been doing Ghost backups 4x disks because I had a 100 count
    > drum of 4x DVD+R disks. After running out, I purchased a drum of 8x
    > DVD+R disks. With the 4x disks, it always took around 1 3/4 hr to do
    > the backup on 2 disks. With the 8x disks, it takes the same exact
    > time.
    >
    > Is there something I am missing? Any more command line parameters? I
    > just thought that I would be cutting my backup times in half or at
    > least shortening the time by going from 4x to 8x DVD+R disks.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:06:21 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Do these DVD+Rs burn at 8X elsewhere???

    Yes they do. I did a test burning a 2gig zip file I made up for the
    test. The test was done with Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.16. I first
    burned it to a 4x and timed it and then to an 8x and timed it. There
    was a significant diff in the speed between the two and the burning
    log showed that the 8x burned at 8x.

    But with Nero, you have places to select what speed you want to burn
    at while I can't find anywhere that Ghost has any command line
    parameter that let you tell it what speed to burn at. I just assumed
    it somehow tested the media before the actual burn and then burned at
    the speed it found applicable to use.

    Regards,
    Ed

    have you downloaded the latest update from symantec that addresses the 8x
    speed burning issue for ghost ?
    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Ed" wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:06:21 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    > <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >Do these DVD+Rs burn at 8X elsewhere???
    >
    > Yes they do. I did a test burning a 2gig zip file I made up for the
    > test. The test was done with Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.16. I first
    > burned it to a 4x and timed it and then to an 8x and timed it. There
    > was a significant diff in the speed between the two and the burning
    > log showed that the 8x burned at 8x.
    >
    > But with Nero, you have places to select what speed you want to burn
    > at while I can't find anywhere that Ghost has any command line
    > parameter that let you tell it what speed to burn at. I just assumed
    > it somehow tested the media before the actual burn and then burned at
    > the speed it found applicable to use.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    I'll just add my 2 cents' worth here. My experience with Ghost 2003 and
    DVDs indicates that Ghost may fail with disks that other applications
    use quite happily. This leads me to conclude that Ghost does not write
    to the DVD in a "conventional" way, if there's such a thing. Therefore,
    Ghost may not properly evaluate the speed at which a given disk is
    useable.

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:38:14 -0700, "steve.a"
    <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >have you downloaded the latest update from symantec that addresses the 8x
    >speed burning issue for ghost ?

    The Symantec site says that there are "No Updates Available for
    Selected Version". Also a search of symantec's knowledge base shows
    no hits on keywords 'ghost 2003 dvd write burn speed' in any
    combination associated with the burning speeds on optical media.

    On 19 Aug 2005 05:16:01 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:

    >Ghost may not properly evaluate the speed at which a given disk is
    >useable.

    Since I could find nothing on the Symantec site concerning this, I
    assume you might be right. Another suggestion from another newsgroup
    was that Ghost 2003 might be "locked" into writing at a "Slow" fixed
    speed (no matter what the max capable speed of the drive is) so as to
    thwart any errors usually associated with burning at higher speeds.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed wrote:
    > On 19 Aug 2005 05:16:01 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Ghost may not properly evaluate the speed at which a given disk is
    > >useable.
    >
    > Since I could find nothing on the Symantec site concerning this, I
    > assume you might be right. Another suggestion from another newsgroup
    > was that Ghost 2003 might be "locked" into writing at a "Slow" fixed
    > speed (no matter what the max capable speed of the drive is) so as to
    > thwart any errors usually associated with burning at higher speeds.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    Once I got Ghost 2003 to work with my RW DVD (and it was quite an
    effort, believe me), it did it an an acceptable speed. If I remember
    correctly, it takes ROUGHLY 10 minutes to write about 4 GB. Again, this
    is using a 4X +RW disk, Ghost refused to write to a 2X -RW disk of the
    same brand. Come to think of it, I have no evidence that it would have
    written any faster had I been suing a 16X non-rewriteable disk.

    On 22 Aug 2005 06:00:17 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:

    >it did it an an acceptable speed. If I remember
    >correctly, it takes ROUGHLY 10 minutes to write about 4 GB.

    Well, I backup 9.6 GB. It is going onto 2 DVD+Rs (using Ghost's
    lowest compression mode) and it is taking 1 3/4 hours to do the deed
    no matter if it is on 4x or 8x DVDs.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed wrote:
    > On 22 Aug 2005 06:00:17 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:
    >
    > >it did it an an acceptable speed. If I remember
    > >correctly, it takes ROUGHLY 10 minutes to write about 4 GB.
    >
    > Well, I backup 9.6 GB. It is going onto 2 DVD+Rs (using Ghost's
    > lowest compression mode) and it is taking 1 3/4 hours to do the deed
    > no matter if it is on 4x or 8x DVDs.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    You don't mention anything about your optical drive being external, so
    I assume it is not. Had it been an external USB drive I would have
    suggested that you may be running at USB1 speed, rather than USB2.

    Are you loading any extra drivers into the DOS process? That is, are
    you specifying anything to be added to CONFIG.SYS and/or AUTOEXEC.BAT?

    Although the time I indicated earlier is not 100% accurate, it is a
    reasonable example. I haven't used Ghost for a few months now (True
    Image is easier to use), but I do recall that to process about 4GB, it
    takes ABOUT 10 minutes and 14 minutes - I just can't recall which time
    is for the backup and which is for the restore. These times are
    obtained when using an external USB2 DVD drive, running under DOS, and
    using FAST compression.

    Given my experience with Ghost and various media, I'd suggest that you
    try one disk of a different brand, preferably one that has been on the
    market for some time, just to increase the chance that the drive's
    firmware is aware of it.

    Finally, I'll mention that you may want to post your problem here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage?lnk=li&hl=en

    On 23 Aug 2005 03:08:46 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:

    >You don't mention anything about your optical drive being external

    It's internal

    >Are you loading any extra drivers into the DOS process? That is, are
    >you specifying anything to be added to CONFIG.SYS and/or AUTOEXEC.BAT?

    Nothing has changed since posting the contents of the autoexe.bat file
    in the original message to this thread and the config sys file has
    only one entry which is: lastdrive=z

    >I'd suggest that you
    >try one disk of a different brand, preferably one that has been on the
    >market for some time, just to increase the chance that the drive's
    >firmware is aware of it.

    Actually tried an 8x Maxell, 8x Sony, 8X Office Depot and 8X Teak. All
    gave the same speed which was the same as the 4x Office Depot and 4x
    Maxell gave.

    >Finally, I'll mention that you may want to post your problem here:
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage?lnk=li&hl=en

    I'll do that.... thanks for the link and feedback.....

    Best Regards,
    Ed

    Have you tried running Ghost from Windows? It will, of course, boot
    into DOS to perform the operation, but you will be able to see the
    generated CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT statements, and if it works at a
    more appropriate speed, you can then replicate them in your DOS
    startup. Also, if it works at a correct speed, you will at least know
    that the problem is fixable, as you will probably need is teh correct
    DOS drivers, etc.

Windows XP