CD wizard will no longer copy to floppy

Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to insert floppy
disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it assumes I am using a CD. How
do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.

I should re-phrase the subject line: I cannot back up QuickBooks with a
floppy any more. Where can I change the drive? Sorry for the confusion.

"tam1962" wrote:

> Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
> previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to insert floppy
> disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it assumes I am using a CD. How
> do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In news:CF0ED927-4DCA-48EB-AD3F-E6A62233BC1A@microsoft.com,
tam1962 <tam1962@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
> previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to insert
> floppy disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it assumes I am
> using a CD. How do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.

Hi - Quickbooks support is best given by Intuit. Microsoft has no
affiliation with Quickbooks.

That said - you'd need to have packet writing enabled on your CD burner, and
I don't recommend it if you care about accessing your data from another
computer. Do a disk backup and then use your included CD burning software to
burn all your data to a CD.

Malke

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

> In news:CF0ED927-4DCA-48EB-AD3F-E6A62233BC1A@microsoft.com,
> tam1962 <tam1962@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>> Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
>> previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to insert
>> floppy disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it assumes I am
>> using a CD. How do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.
>
> Hi - Quickbooks support is best given by Intuit. Microsoft has no
> affiliation with Quickbooks.
>
> That said - you'd need to have packet writing enabled on your CD
> burner, and I don't recommend it if you care about accessing your data
> from another computer. Do a disk backup and then use your included CD
> burning software to burn all your data to a CD.

I'm interpreting the OP as asking how to get QuickBooks to save to a
floppy again. In any case, the location where QuickBooks backs up can
be changed - oddly enough - under Backup. There's a button that will
allow him/her to browse to where the backup files should be saved.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"tam1962" <tam1962@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
> previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to insert
> floppy disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it assumes I am
> using a CD. How do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.

WinXP's backup program (ntbackup) won't backup to a CD.

Maybe it's the QuickBooks backup program and you have too much data for a
floppy.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

It always let me copy to a floppy before. I used an external floppy drive
plugged into the USB port. Today, I thought I'd be slick and try to back up
the files to a cd to save myself from having to have so many floppys. It used
to say to back up insert (floppy) disc 1, 2 ,3 etc.. I have 5 discs total.
Now since I tried backing up with the CD, it won't let me go back to the
floppy's. Do I just need to change the drive? If so, where? Thanks a lot, I'm
so confused.

In news:O%23qQ7VGpFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Malke <notreally@invalid.com> typed:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>

>> In news:CF0ED927-4DCA-48EB-AD3F-E6A62233BC1A@microsoft.com,
>> tam1962 <tam1962@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Using XP home edition, I tried to back up QuickBooks with a CD. Was
>>> previously backing up with floppy's. XP used to instruct me to
>>> insert floppy disc #1 or 2 etc. Now it no longer asks that, it
>>> assumes I am using a CD. How do I restore it? Thanks ahead of time.
>>
>> Hi - Quickbooks support is best given by Intuit. Microsoft has no
>> affiliation with Quickbooks.
>>
>> That said - you'd need to have packet writing enabled on your CD
>> burner, and I don't recommend it if you care about accessing your
>> data from another computer. Do a disk backup and then use your
>> included CD burning software to burn all your data to a CD.
>
> I'm interpreting the OP as asking how to get QuickBooks to save to a
> floppy again. In any case, the location where QuickBooks backs up can
> be changed - oddly enough - under Backup. There's a button that will
> allow him/her to browse to where the backup files should be saved.
>
> Malke

Ah. You are correct, as always. One day I'll learn how to read! Thanks,
Malke...you're a peach.

Malke

tam1962 wrote:

> It always let me copy to a floppy before. I used an external floppy
> drive plugged into the USB port. Today, I thought I'd be slick and try
> to back up the files to a cd to save myself from having to have so
> many floppys. It used to say to back up insert (floppy) disc 1, 2 ,3
> etc.. I have 5 discs total. Now since I tried backing up with the CD,
> it won't let me go back to the floppy's. Do I just need to change the
> drive? If so, where? Thanks a lot, I'm so confused.

Read my previous post. As always, refer to the Help files that come with
any program. QuickBooks has a Help file. To change the location of the
QuickBook backup, go to the Backup option in the menu. As I said, there
is a browse button where you can navigate to where you want to save the
files. The floppy drive would be A:\. If you have further problems
doing this, contact Intuit's tech support for help with QuickBooks.
This is not an operating system (XP) issue.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com