I think the virus windows32/small.ca is causing BSOD. Help wanted

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ok so a week or two ago I got a notice on my computer that I had the virus windows32/small.ca on my computer. I believe this happened after I put my kapersky anti virus into gaming mode. After I got this notification I couldn't get my anti virus to open back up. So i download another anti virus program updated it, and full scanned a few times. I repeated this process with a few other programs as well including Norton. Eventually this notification went away but none of the programs ever said anything about a virus the only things they found were some low level cookies. The computer has progressively been running more and more strangely. Facebook don't fully load, Firefox crashes often, just today youtube videos don't load. The most disturbing though is the BSOD I've been getting. They seem to happen randomly regardless of if my CPU is overclocked or not.
The notification may be gone but I get the feeling this virus is still lurking.

When I was installing my new video card and watercooling components the southbridge heatsink seemed to come off the mobo a little bit when i pressed on one side of it. It would make a sort of suction noise which i assume was the heatsink detaching from the chipset below.
I have gamed for hours on it though so I would think that with that kind of power going through it my mobo would be destroyed by now. This is the only explanation I can think of so I mine as well though it out there.

Anyways I am trying to avoid doing a total reinstall of my OS and everything so If somebody could help me out with diagnosing what is causing the BSODs that would be great.
Here are a few pics I managed to snap with my phone of the same BSOD
IMG_20121028_011951_zpsec535abd.jpg

IMG_20121028_011956_zps97a46907.jpg

This is what facebook looks like
IMG_20121028_152507_zpsc116a526.jpg

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I just swapped out my ram with some that I know works I'll see if I get any BSODs if I do then I will just try one at a time. I just got a BSOD were the sounds went on a loop which I heard is a memory problem because my friend had that issue. I suppose another possibility is the ram heatsink comes off easily with this particular RAM I had it happen before so I just put it back on where it was.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I haven't had any BSODs since I swapped the RAM out. Facebook still load really strangely though so I don't think the issue is solved.

Here is the exact RAM I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233240 There were some people that had the same issue as me so I don't think it'll be solved by replacing it with the same stuff. I'll call up Corsair and see if I can get the normal vengeance instead of the low profile.

As for the memtest is this a program I need to download? I see that there is a windows memory diagnostic will this do the same thing?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
ask for rma since they got a lifetime warranty,memtest was made for this the windows one is new in that and yes you need to download it here is the link it's free choose the one you need at the bottom of the page http://www.memtest.org/