Please help,

For some inexplicable reason my computer will no longer finish booting. It
gets to the initial Windows XP screen with the moving bar then the screen
goes blank. It will also not start in safe mode. I get a list of files
the original version I do not get that option, only a reinstall that will
wipe out what is already on the hard drives. Perhaps this is because I am
running a raid array? I ran chkdsk in the restore console but that fdid not
make any difference. I would like to just reformat the system but I need to
save files before doing so. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for help!

RM

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hmmm, the same thing just happend to me, after some secuirty patches were
installed last weekend. It will boot sometimes, such as now. Unfortunately,
System Restiore won't fix the problem and I can't do an XP Install Repair
because I have an SP1 CD and an SP2 system. Tried using Slipstream and
partway through Windows crashes.

I'm interested in what others have to offer here.

Gre

usually a repair install will do what you want tiwhout losing data.
it is always best to back up first if possible.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"rmaizell" <rmaizell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help,
>
> For some inexplicable reason my computer will no longer finish booting.
> It
> gets to the initial Windows XP screen with the moving bar then the screen
> goes blank. It will also not start in safe mode. I get a list of files
> over
> the original version I do not get that option, only a reinstall that will
> wipe out what is already on the hard drives. Perhaps this is because I am
> running a raid array? I ran chkdsk in the restore console but that fdid
> not
> make any difference. I would like to just reformat the system but I need
> save files before doing so. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for help!
>
> RM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Repair option is not available on
the options list ...

"NotMe" wrote:

> usually a repair install will do what you want tiwhout losing data.
> it is always best to back up first if possible.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "rmaizell" <rmaizell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help,
> >
> > For some inexplicable reason my computer will no longer finish booting.
> > It
> > gets to the initial Windows XP screen with the moving bar then the screen
> > goes blank. It will also not start in safe mode. I get a list of files
> > over
> > the original version I do not get that option, only a reinstall that will
> > wipe out what is already on the hard drives. Perhaps this is because I am
> > running a raid array? I ran chkdsk in the restore console but that fdid
> > not
> > make any difference. I would like to just reformat the system but I need
> > save files before doing so. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for help!
> >
> > RM

Hi Greg, I ended up solving the problem on my own. It was somewhat
complicated, but effective. You need to restore system files from the
restore console. The following website walks you through it.

www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658

After you have completed the process Windows will be cranky when first
booting. You may get some error messages related to the registry, but
ultimately it will work. You should then go to a restore point that you know
is ok and apply it.

Good luck!