Sign in with
Your question

Is it time for a CPU upgrade?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2003 4:56:01 PM

I currently have a modified HP Pavillion 9880 with updated or added components. Here are the basic specifications:

* 640 mb of RDRAM
* 1.5 ghz Pentium 4 Processor
* 80 gb Maxtor hard drive
* 120 gb Maxtor hard drive
* some kind of asus motherboard (doesn't support AGP 8x)
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* Realtek 10/100 NIC

I use the box for compiling software, playing games, and video editing (which also entails MPEG conversion frame by frame). It runs under Windows XP and Debian Linux.

I'm also looking into upgrading the motherboard for AGP 8x, but I don't know whether or not it's worth the effort to replace it.

More about : time cpu upgrade

June 13, 2003 5:25:54 PM

It's all up to you to decide, if what you have currently cannot satisfy you anymore, then it's time to upgrade
for me, I would say that your system is still ok
June 13, 2003 6:32:46 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also looking into upgrading the motherboard for AGP 8x, but I don't know whether or not it's worth the effort to replace it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

u will not find any performance difference between 4x and 8X interface.

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2003 3:51:03 AM

I'd suggest a faster processor, like the P4 2.4 "400MHz bus" version (aka P4 2.4A). I doubt your board supports "533" bus.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 14, 2003 4:32:07 PM

If you upgrade the CPU I also upgrade the MB so you can get you moneys worth out of that 9700 pro.
June 15, 2003 12:35:42 AM

explain how a new mobo would help him get more out of his 9700? and dont say 8x AGP, cause thats only a benefit to older cards with little onboard v-ram

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf
!