cannot find SHELL.DLL

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2004 2:42:51 PM

Any games I put for my kids it gives me the error
message "cannot find SHELL.DLL" or "DLL files do not
exist or corrupt"

Could anyone please tell me what to do? I tried
unsuccessfully to repair XP pro. Do I do a complete
install?

Thanks

More about : find shell dll

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 7:25:47 PM

Hi John,

Which games have you tried to install?
Are you downloading them or installing from CD's?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"john_sss" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64b301c4936f$c3efebb0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| Any games I put for my kids it gives me the error
| message "cannot find SHELL.DLL" or "DLL files do not
| exist or corrupt"
|
| Could anyone please tell me what to do? I tried
| unsuccessfully to repair XP pro. Do I do a complete
| install?
|
| Thanks

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:32:02 AM

I'm getting this message when I try to install Microsoft Flight Simulator
for Windows 95 from the original CD on my Windows XP Pro system.
Is there something I can do to get that software to work?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:37:22 PM

Hi kdc,

"kdc" <*-mail@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5c88bad7ab0cae0c3b3ad3a8045c1908@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com...
| I'm getting this message when I try to install Microsoft Flight Simulator
| for Windows 95 from the original CD on my Windows XP Pro system.
| Is there something I can do to get that software to work?

Try installing and playing that using 95/98 Compatibility mode.

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc11...

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User