desktop doesn't fill screen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I reinstalled XP and now my desktop is smaller than the screen at a
lower resolution than native 1600.
I can do the Fn+F7 keys and it stretches out, the question is
what do i have to set in the reg to make it work the way it is suppose
to??????????
6 answers Last reply
More about desktop doesn fill screen
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Are you talking about notebook? What is the model of it?

    Most likely you have to change this setting in its BIOS then: it is not a
    Registry, but the hardware setting then.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======
    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:01:31 GMT, see.cher@your.place wrote:

    >I reinstalled XP and now my desktop is smaller than the screen at a
    >lower resolution than native 1600.
    >I can do the Fn+F7 keys and it stretches out, the question is
    >what do i have to set in the reg to make it work the way it is suppose
    >to??????????
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    notebook Dell inspiron 8200

    i don't think it is a bios issue - i find nothing that relates to it.

    when i change the resolution to something lower that native (1600) the
    resolution stays the same, but the screen shrinks.

    hitting Fn+F7changes it back and forth.

    It must be in the registry. OR it might have something to do with the
    video driver nVidia. the adapter is a go440 w/64M memory.


    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:41:00 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin
    <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote:

    >Are you talking about notebook? What is the model of it?
    >
    >Most likely you have to change this setting in its BIOS then: it is not a
    >Registry, but the hardware setting then.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Make sure that you Video drivers are installed correctly, you can find them
    on the Dell drivers CD. It sounds like they are not installed I get this
    alot from Dell laptops!

    JB

    "see.cher@your.place" wrote:

    > notebook Dell inspiron 8200
    >
    > i don't think it is a bios issue - i find nothing that relates to it.
    >
    > when i change the resolution to something lower that native (1600) the
    > resolution stays the same, but the screen shrinks.
    >
    > hitting Fn+F7changes it back and forth.
    >
    > It must be in the registry. OR it might have something to do with the
    > video driver nVidia. the adapter is a go440 w/64M memory.
    >
    >
    >
    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:41:00 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin
    > <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote:
    >
    > >Are you talking about notebook? What is the model of it?
    > >
    > >Most likely you have to change this setting in its BIOS then: it is not a
    > >Registry, but the hardware setting then.
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    well, this could be an issue as I have installed a later version of
    nVidia drivers. Any later than this one says it is not compatible.

    I guess I will try the original - but I thought it had an openGL issue
    - but that could just be Quicktime's problem.

    how do people who are computer illiterate cope with this stuff?
    I guess if you never change anything you never have a problem.


    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:10:05 -0700, "JB"
    <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Make sure that you Video drivers are installed correctly, you can find them
    >on the Dell drivers CD. It sounds like they are not installed I get this
    >alot from Dell laptops!
    >
    >JB
    >
    >"see.cher@your.place" wrote:
    >
    >> notebook Dell inspiron 8200
    >>
    >> i don't think it is a bios issue - i find nothing that relates to it.
    >>
    >> when i change the resolution to something lower that native (1600) the
    >> resolution stays the same, but the screen shrinks.
    >>
    >> hitting Fn+F7changes it back and forth.
    >>
    >> It must be in the registry. OR it might have something to do with the
    >> video driver nVidia. the adapter is a go440 w/64M memory.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:41:00 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin
    >> <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Are you talking about notebook? What is the model of it?
    >> >
    >> >Most likely you have to change this setting in its BIOS then: it is not a
    >> >Registry, but the hardware setting then.
    >>
    >>
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I would check BIOS setup nevertheless: say, in BIOS of IBM computers this item
    has the non-evident wording.

    And, as JB said, probably DELL-specific video driver will resolve this issue.

    Again: I bet it is not a Registry setting (if only DELL-specific). That's why
    I supposed notebook at once.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======
    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:53:21 GMT, see.cher@your.place wrote:

    >notebook Dell inspiron 8200
    >
    >i don't think it is a bios issue - i find nothing that relates to it.
    >
    >when i change the resolution to something lower that native (1600) the
    >resolution stays the same, but the screen shrinks.
    >
    >hitting Fn+F7changes it back and forth.
    >
    >It must be in the registry. OR it might have something to do with the
    >video driver nVidia. the adapter is a go440 w/64M memory.
    >
    >
    >
    >On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:41:00 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin
    ><mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote:
    >
    >>Are you talking about notebook? What is the model of it?
    >>
    >>Most likely you have to change this setting in its BIOS then: it is not a
    >>Registry, but the hardware setting then.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I have checked bios numberous times.

    it isn't the driver.
    replaced with last Dell driver and got same result.

    any other ideas?


    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:10:59 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin
    <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote:

    >I would check BIOS setup nevertheless: say, in BIOS of IBM computers this item
    >has the non-evident wording.
    >
    >And, as JB said, probably DELL-specific video driver will resolve this issue.
    >
    >Again: I bet it is not a Registry setting (if only DELL-specific). That's why
    >I supposed notebook at once.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP