Can ST3250310AS be installed on dell xps 8500

leeelooo

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
The Seagate ST3250310AS 250GB SATA/300 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drive shows up in Disk Management as "465.66GB Unallocated" by Dell latest XPS 8500 with windows8 64bit. To initialize the disk for both MBR and GPT (default) and get CRC error. Does this mean that the HD is not compatible with XPS 8500?

leeelooo

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply! I have tried your suggestion. Here is the update:

-- XPS 8500 BIOS does not have an option to let me set/config; once the HD gets installed, the BIOS recognize it with right HD model# detected
-- Dell support site lists all the drivers for XPS 8500 marked as 10/12/12. My one was bought one month ago and all are up to date
-- Same CRC issue even when I try to set it Offline from Disk Management console
-- Dell support site is not really organized so give up after about 20 mins searches... :-(

I think this disk may be too old, so I have it connected to my 5 years old Dell Vostro 400, and it works like a charm without doing anything to get it config'd.

Since the old HD transfer rate is 3gb/s while compare new HD which is 6gb/s, so i'm going to get new HD form newegg.com once there is a deal... my main purpose for adding 2nd HD is to host paging files on it to improve performance...

I can't help wondering if it isn't Windows 8 that's at fault here and not the XPS itself. I've never seen a system report a hard disk being twice its actual size before but it's Windows that's doing it. It would be interesting if you popped it back in and ran Seatools to check it properly..

leeelooo

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
It must be something to do with win8 or xps 8500, as the disk works just fine on my 5 years old dell vostro 400 with win7. Needless to say win8 is not a good release; I'm confusing to use win8, so often time I switch to desktop. Win8 is "good" because it is "new" but that release is not a good release. Microsoft is dying... i have already encountered few win8 bugs...