Pentium systems - throttling question

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
As I understand it, when a Pentium 4 processor finds itself running a little hotter than it would like, that it would automatically throttle down it's speed.

My question is whether this feature can be switched off by the user?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think you would want to. The temp for the switch was relatively high as I recall, like 70C (maybe 65C). That would be far higher than what you would want for optimal stability.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Ford,

I do not think he was meaning that you could disable throttling, but rather that it would be in the better interest to NOT allow the computer to reach the high temperatures required to activate the throttling.

This is because the computer would start becoming more unstable and your risk of losing data or hardware is greatly increased with higher temps.

<font color=blue> Ok, so you have to put your "2 cents" in, but its value is only "A penny's worth". Who gets that extra penny? </font color=blue>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Heh, thanks for the replies guys lol :D. I don't personally own a P4, but the info is interesting nonetheless.

I just wonder how some of the processor benchmarks around the web takes this into consideration. I mean wouldn't it be in the best interest to use a powerful HSF on the P4 just to get as close to an unbiased benchmark report as possible if throttling can't be disabled?

Again, thanks for the answer, was on my mind for a while & I just had to ask :).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They only throttle down when they overheat. They don't overheat when benchmarked. In fact, overheating can cause program errors that would prevent a CPU from completing the benchmark anyway.

What, you thought P4's in normal systems throttle down under normal conditions? No, have you seen the size of the cooler that comes with a P4?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
They only throttle down when they overheat. They don't overheat when benchmarked. In fact, overheating can cause program errors that would prevent a CPU from completing the benchmark anyway.
Yes I understand heh :). Ok another question, lets say that a P4 running an intense application for a lengthy period of time reaches a temperature of about 65C-70C. Would the throttling feature lower the speed to keep it <i>just</i> at or below that temperature, or would it drastically reduce it (to a specific speed perhaps), therefore lowering the temperature far below the 65C-70C mark? Just curious whether the user will be aware of the change :).

What, you thought P4's in normal systems throttle down under normal conditions? No, have you seen the size of the cooler that comes with a P4?
Heh, yes I've seen several :). Just curious how these things worked heh. Thanks for your answers Crash :).