RBION Best Lawlor Pin Ever.

Damm Terry i was going to buy some more supplies from you this week
untill you said that.
Ray

Drunkest post EVER. Rain coat on! for when Terry finally pukes.

pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:
> Ha! There, I said it. Flame suit on!
> Terry.

ldnayman, you are absolutely *right*. Holy cow. That any sober,
rational, and semi-chemically balanced person could put RBION in front
of Fun House, Whirlwind, Safe Cracker, The Addams Family, and several
others, just baffles me.

Terry, buddy, friend-o'-mine, you can *have* the game.

Oh, wait, Terry! Perhaps you need to try out Roller Coaster Tycoon,
which, by your standards, could be even *better* than Ripley's!

Yeesh. ;)

Aron

On 6 Jul 2005 20:12:17 -0700, pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:

>Ha! There, I said it. Flame suit on!
>Terry.

I don't know about the best ever, but it's certainly better than TZ.
Got a spare flame suit?

Yeah I agree, How can RBION be put in front of those Lawlor classics.

That would be like putting a Popadiuk WCS 94 over a Cirqus Voltaire or
Theatre of Magic.

Either way: Crack Pipe is warm.

I've never played it. but would like to try it. RGP seems not to be a
fan thou. :/

Ouch! LOL!!!!

msa...@salascorp.com wrote:
> Yeah I agree, How can RBION be put in front of those Lawlor classics.
>
> That would be like putting a Popadiuk WCS 94 over a Cirqus Voltaire or
> Theatre of Magic.
>
> Either way: Crack Pipe is warm.

No Booze involved (at least this time). I stand by my statement....
archived in the google library forever. I've owned many a Lawlor pin;
RBION is PLD's (and Pat's) best effort.

Oh yeah, flame suit still on of course!

Terry.

bret thought about this a minute then said: "Better then Whirlwind?!?
Fun House?!? Adams? Nope, Nope Nope! " I wouldnt trade my Whirlwind for
that game, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. And Im sure you wouldnt
find many FH or Adams fans making this trade either. To each there own,
and variety makes the world go around, but to state that this is Pats
best game ever is linda' like saying that a burger from "White Castle"
is fine dining! (Although at this time of night, that kinda' does sound
good!)~Pinball Bret

In the Bizarro world, maybe. Kudos to you though for having a
dissenting opinion, though. I like Pat's less-heralded work more than
anybody. I owned a Roadshow for a while, and I liked it OK. I have a
Monopoly that I like a great deal. My favorite Stern, besides LOTR.
But Lawlor's finest hour is by far Twilight Zone, IMO. Addams Family
was fun, but TZ's "everything plus the kitchen sink" mentality hooked
me after the first game. And it got even more fun after I knew what I
was supposed to be doing.
Brian

RBION has the best playfield in pinball history

The artwork is very, very good ...

the software and music are HORRIBLE

the theme tied in with the game is poorly done as well

strangest combination I have ever seen on a pin

It's like, "what the heck happened here?"

gary

BrianAce wrote:
> In the Bizarro world, maybe. Kudos to you though for having a
> dissenting opinion, though. I like Pat's less-heralded work more than
> anybody. I owned a Roadshow for a while, and I liked it OK. I have a
> Monopoly that I like a great deal. My favorite Stern, besides LOTR.
> But Lawlor's finest hour is by far Twilight Zone, IMO. Addams Family
> was fun, but TZ's "everything plus the kitchen sink" mentality hooked
> me after the first game. And it got even more fun after I knew what I
> was supposed to be doing.
> Brian

I dunno...I'd put WCS up there *with* CV, but I don't know that I'd say
that it owns it. There's a big difference, there.

Aron

Doesn't bother me. See response above. There's a big-time difference
between what he said and what I said. Big-time.

Aron

Pure *black* magic. ;)

Naw, that might be a little bit harsh. Ripley's isn't the end-all,
be-all worst effort that Pat's done like RCT is (RCT is the most
part-out-able Lawlor game that I can think of), but I'd still take any
of Pat's WMS stuff over it. I haven't really even had that much
experience on a Banzai Run, and I'll still say that statement, safely.

For certain, the playfield *layout* on Ripley's is pretty good. Sure,
you can bark about the bumpers/bonus lanes up top, but other than that,
the *layout* itself is pretty darned good. The major league problems
with the playfield come into play when you start taking into
consideration things like the decision to make the upper flipper more
useless than a wet noodle, or spinners that seem to have difficulty
*spinning* very much at all, or a vari-target that really doesn't serve
much of a purpose at all. I do like the concentration on the upper
flipper shots. That's certainly a good thing for a Pat game.

The biggest problems, of course, are the other things that go with it.
The software just doesn't do anything but, apparently, hand out
specials like cheese & cracker samples at the supermarket: plenty for
everyone, and they're not all that big a deal. The multiball was
improved over his past couple games, but it still pales in comparison
to, say, NGG, which was seven years before (or so). The sounds and
voices in this game (*especially* the voices) simply make me wonder if
everything that PLD produces has to annoy us to the point of
involuntary, uncontrollable bowel movements. The art, while
acceptable, is *by no means* close to John Youssi's finest hour. Of
Youssi's Stern games, I honestly think that Sharkey's Shootout and
Monopoly are still his best, and of the two, I'd probably give the nod
to Sharkey's. Granted, when you're dealing with drawing a shrunken
head, it's not the best material to go on, but sheesh...ugly is ugly.

I'm glad you like it, Terry. I'm glad that there are people out there
who like Popeye, and Shaq Attaq, and Water World...and while I'm not
condemning Ripley's into the same circle of hell that I'd sentence
those others to, it's still *inconceivable* to me that a person could
call Ripley's the best Lawlor game, ever.

Aron (who *does* know what that word means, Inigo)

Grim

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

Geeze man you guys sound so much like the "CHEESE & WINE" crowd here we
are talking PINBALL not great works of art here Pinball is all about
fun not about what is the best or not.RBION might stink to some but to
others its the fun pin to play.It all about what one THINKS it has
nothing to do with fact.For me it about the FUN factor and that is
subjective to each person what is fun or not fun to play.Remember
pinball started in the bowling alleys and arcades of old blue collar
america not in the "CHEESE & WINE" america.

On 6 Jul 2005 20:27:34 -0700, "boagman" <boagmanster@gmail.com> wrote:

>ldnayman, you are absolutely *right*. Holy cow. That any sober,
>rational, and semi-chemically balanced person could put RBION in front
>of Fun House, Whirlwind, Safe Cracker, The Addams Family, and several
>others, just baffles me.
>
>Terry, buddy, friend-o'-mine, you can *have* the game.
>
>Oh, wait, Terry! Perhaps you need to try out Roller Coaster Tycoon,
>which, by your standards, could be even *better* than Ripley's!
>
>Yeesh. ;)
>

>Aron
You forgot to mention Road Show :)

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Very well put Aron, but I still stand by my statement. After one year
of owning and playing this game on an almost daily basis I have gotten
to the point of being able to look past the negative aspects of this
game. All pins have drawbacks. The "rub" is whether you can come to
terms with them or not.

Ripley's - bad music, bad voice over (what I call it on this game), a
few ball hang-ups, repetitive modes, etc., etc. Then again, I still
think the Temple is a great (but cheap) "toy". The ramps and loops are
well placed, and the rule set is terrific (double flame suit on for
that last comment).

Anyway, the post was all a bit of fun. I do stand by my original
statement of "RBION is Lawlor's best pin to date" although I know it is
nothing but a setup for me to get knocked down. I had a few very fun
4-player games with the family tonight, and it's certainly not the
first time that has happened. It got me to thinking (again) that RBION
is a very good game that my simple brain has not tired of. Sometimes
I'm just not in the mood for the intensity of LOTR (which I also love)
and I want something fun and, uh, light (for lack of a better
adjective).

Early warnings look like Pat has succumbed to his nay-sayers (for
better or worse... that remains to be seen) and NASCAR will be a more
traditional(of late) Stern release. Hey - "give the people what they
want" is very likely on Pat's mind this time around after the tongue
lashing he has received lately. Personally, I have high hopes for
NASCAR. But then again, I always look forward to a new PLD release;
but that's just me.

Ok, that's it, flame suit is getting hot! :)

Terry.

Right. And you sound just so...relevant.

And by "relevant," I mean "irrelevant!" If you've got something to
add, do us all a favor and make a statement that's at least backed up
by something other than an "Everybody likes different things!
Everything is cool! I like being set on fire!"-type mentality. I'm
not P.C., I don't *act* P.C., I don't play P.C. on t.v., and I don't
buy into singing Kumbaya with other people simply so they can feel all
warm and fuzzy.

If you *like* something, defend it! Terry's done an adequate job of
that in his post below, but your words are just drivel. Keep your
Mario Andretti and Barb Wire. You'll need them.

Oh, and come out from behind the shadows, Mr.
Too-Shy-To-Back-Things-Up-By-Identifying-Myself.

Aron (feeling posty *and* toasty tonight)

No I didn't. I included it in the "several others" category. I
certainly don't believe that RS is in the 8's or higher on the
Aron-O-Meter. But you knew that, sir. ;)

Aron

pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:
> What happened? Pure magic, that's what :)
> Terry.

Dito! I emailed Pat to say how great I thought the game was and was
in the process of purchasing one. When I trip to London, UK to play
pinball I aways look out for RIPLEYS.

Ping

Yes. I'm the keyboard commando who hides behind a stupid name, while
not actually identifying myself.

I'll be at Expo this year (Wednesday through Sunday), ready to put you
in your place, should you be man enough to attend. Is Mommy going to
let you go this year, or won't you take your meds?

Idiot.

Aron

I don't think you are too far off base, just
maybe lost in time. :)

RBION will likely turn out to be one of the
greatest games of all time, once more of them
come off-route. When more homes end up with
them, they will be all the rage.

Remember TZ anybody?

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8

pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:
> Ha! There, I said it. Flame suit on!
> Terry.

why is TZ so great?

There is basically one shooting lane right up the middle

the rest of the game is wasted

good game, maybe great game, but not as good as some of you think

gary

TRENDING THREADS