Arctic Silver 3 .. need to re-apply?

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
This is probably a silly question but I need an answer from you guys, just to be sure. I removed a couple of days ago my heatsink from my CPU, because I wanted to test another CPU on my mobo. Afterwards, I placed the original CPU back to its socket and clipped the heatsink on it. I am using Arctic Silver 3 so my question is this. Was it necessary to remove AS3 from both the heatsink and the CPU and then re-apply it, or is it ok as it is?

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Definetly clean off the heatsink and CPU Core and re-apply it. I would do this immedietly before you overheat!

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

endyen

Splendid
It's called thermal paste because it conducts heat away from your processor. Is it? If it is no problem, if not, reaply. Taking the hsf off and on repeatedly is not too good an idea as it weakens the clip.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Wipe it off, its been contaminated once you break the bead. Use it like silicon, have a flat even coat on cpu sink surface and a small bead around the space after installation of sink retention clip.

Last time I took my polished sink off mobo the cpu pulled straight out off the zif socket with the suction, you will need a mirror finish on the aluminium sink for the same results.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's called thermal paste because it conducts heat away from your processor.
You sir are correct!

It's not as good at conducting heat as your aluminum heatsink (or Copper one for that matter), but it's far better than air, so it's used to displace air gaps between surfaces. As long as enough exists to fill that purpose, you don't need to reapply it.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
What do you use for taking Arctic Silver 3 off the heatsink & the CPU core? I know that in its website it says to use "high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone" for the CPU core and "xylene based products" for the heatsink. The thing is that english is not my native language and I can't understand anything! In simple words, what should I go out and buy for this purpose? I don't think that it will do the trick if I go into a store here in my country and ask for "high-purity isopropyl alcohol" for example!!! Even if the employee speaks English, I doubt that he/she will understand :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend you use an old rag for both. Once you wipe enough off that you can't see it any longer, it's clean enough.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

CaveInfiltrator

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
and just for the record...

its Rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover

;o)

like our big names? haha

OSI, ISO, ITU-T, IETF, IEEE, WEP, 802.1X IPSec, ISAKMP, ATM, FR, 802.3, X.25, 802.11, 802.5, MPLS, RIP, OSPF...
Welcome to the acronym industry.