XP Pro

August 19, 2005 8:34:02 AM

I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!

JB

More about : pro

August 19, 2005 4:38:06 PM

JB wrote:
> I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
> During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
> mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
> and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
> XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
> can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
>
> JB

You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
the options on the second menu

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Yes, however it didn't work! When I restart it looks like it is booting into
XP however when the Windows XP screen goes away and you are about to get the
desktop the screen just goes black with hte mouse pointer showing and moving
but that's all. I will do a re-install but then I would loose my financial
data. My most recent backup of this data is two weeks old, my bad, and yes I
know better however I got busy and forgot to backup the files. Also when I
go to the dos screen I can cd to the root of C: drive and I find the files,
but it won't let me save them to cd. I believe there is a way of
reinstalling the os files from the I386 directory on the os cd but I can't
find the tool to use.

JB

JB

"MCR" wrote:

> JB wrote:
> > I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
> > During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
> > mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
> > and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
> > XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
> > can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > JB
>
> You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
> install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
> the options on the second menu
>
> --
> MCR
> MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

August 19, 2005 4:38:08 PM

When you boot in normally, you get a blank screen with nothing on it,except a
mouse pointer ? Try Ctrl+Alt+Del and ending any program thats keeping the
system busy. It might be that its trying to update the files but cant find
them.

-Ram

"JB" wrote:

> Yes, however it didn't work! When I restart it looks like it is booting into
> XP however when the Windows XP screen goes away and you are about to get the
> desktop the screen just goes black with hte mouse pointer showing and moving
> but that's all. I will do a re-install but then I would loose my financial
> data. My most recent backup of this data is two weeks old, my bad, and yes I
> know better however I got busy and forgot to backup the files. Also when I
> go to the dos screen I can cd to the root of C: drive and I find the files,
> but it won't let me save them to cd. I believe there is a way of
> reinstalling the os files from the I386 directory on the os cd but I can't
> find the tool to use.
>
> JB
>
> JB
>
> "MCR" wrote:
>
> > JB wrote:
> > > I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
> > > During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
> > > mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
> > > and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
> > > XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
> > > can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
> > >
> > > JB
> >
> > You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
> > install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
> > the options on the second menu
> >
> > --
> > MCR
> > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> > www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

August 19, 2005 4:38:09 PM

Nothing happens when I hit ctl-alt-del it continues to just give me a moving
mouse pointer and that's it

!