XP Pro

I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!

JB
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    JB wrote:
    > I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
    > During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
    > mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
    > and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
    > XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
    > can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > JB

    You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
    install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
    the options on the second menu

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    Yes, however it didn't work! When I restart it looks like it is booting into
    XP however when the Windows XP screen goes away and you are about to get the
    desktop the screen just goes black with hte mouse pointer showing and moving
    but that's all. I will do a re-install but then I would loose my financial
    data. My most recent backup of this data is two weeks old, my bad, and yes I
    know better however I got busy and forgot to backup the files. Also when I
    go to the dos screen I can cd to the root of C: drive and I find the files,
    but it won't let me save them to cd. I believe there is a way of
    reinstalling the os files from the I386 directory on the os cd but I can't
    find the tool to use.

    JB

    JB

    "MCR" wrote:

    > JB wrote:
    > > I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
    > > During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
    > > mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
    > > and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
    > > XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
    > > can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
    > >
    > > JB
    >
    > You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
    > install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
    > the options on the second menu
    >
    > --
    > MCR
    > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
    > www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

    When you boot in normally, you get a blank screen with nothing on it,except a
    mouse pointer ? Try Ctrl+Alt+Del and ending any program thats keeping the
    system busy. It might be that its trying to update the files but cant find
    them.

    -Ram

    "JB" wrote:

    > Yes, however it didn't work! When I restart it looks like it is booting into
    > XP however when the Windows XP screen goes away and you are about to get the
    > desktop the screen just goes black with hte mouse pointer showing and moving
    > but that's all. I will do a re-install but then I would loose my financial
    > data. My most recent backup of this data is two weeks old, my bad, and yes I
    > know better however I got busy and forgot to backup the files. Also when I
    > go to the dos screen I can cd to the root of C: drive and I find the files,
    > but it won't let me save them to cd. I believe there is a way of
    > reinstalling the os files from the I386 directory on the os cd but I can't
    > find the tool to use.
    >
    > JB
    >
    > JB
    >
    > "MCR" wrote:
    >
    > > JB wrote:
    > > > I have a HP Laptop and it was updating a security patch this past Tuesday.
    > > > During the update the laptop froze up and I went to place it in hibernation
    > > > mode and rebooted it by mistake. I have some finacial info on this laptop
    > > > and I need the files. I have attempted to do a repair recovery through the
    > > > XP pro cd, however all I get to is a dos mode screen is there anything that I
    > > > can do via this screen to recover my files? Any help would be appreciated!
    > > >
    > > > JB
    > >
    > > You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
    > > install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
    > > the options on the second menu
    > >
    > > --
    > > MCR
    > > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
    > > www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

    Nothing happens when I hit ctl-alt-del it continues to just give me a moving
    mouse pointer and that's it

    "Ram" wrote:

    > When you boot in normally, you get a blank screen with nothing on it,except a
    > mouse pointer ? Try Ctrl+Alt+Del and ending any program thats keeping the
    > system busy. It might be that its trying to update the files but cant find
    > them.
    >
    > -Ram
    >
    > "JB" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, however it didn't work! When I restart it looks like it is booting into
    > > XP however when the Windows XP screen goes away and you are about to get the
    > > desktop the screen just goes black with hte mouse pointer showing and moving
    > > but that's all. I will do a re-install but then I would loose my financial
    > > data. My most recent backup of this data is two weeks old, my bad, and yes I
    > > know better however I got busy and forgot to backup the files. Also when I
    > > go to the dos screen I can cd to the root of C: drive and I find the files,
    > > but it won't let me save them to cd. I believe there is a way of
    > > reinstalling the os files from the I386 directory on the os cd but I can't
    > > find the tool to use.
    > >
    > > JB
    > >
    > > JB

    > > > You went into recovery console. Reboot using the CD again... chose
    > > > install as the first option instead, then repair an install is one of
    > > > the options on the second menu
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > MCR
    > > > MAME(tm) - History In The Making