Closed

Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?

Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?

I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
90's that is being updated to a new computer...

Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can
archive or transfer some of the data?

If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?

I know that the automation used Windows 2.0 and whatever DOS was
current at the time..........

I will run it as a slave of course,just to retrieve data.

Thanks for any and all help,

Dave Kowalski
Bennett Studios
www.bennettstudios.com
9 answers Last reply
More about read older formatted drive data retrieval

    David Kowalski wrote:
    > Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?
    >
    > I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
    > 90's that is being updated to a new computer...
    >

    > Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can
    > archive or transfer some of the data?
    >
    > If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?
    >
    > I know that the automation used Windows 2.0 and whatever DOS was
    > current at the time..........
    >
    > I will run it as a slave of course,just to retrieve data.

    Yes, DOS used the FAT file system. XP can read from a FAT formatted drive.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Yes, it should work fine.

    David Kowalski wrote:
    > Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?
    >
    > I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
    > 90's that is being updated to a new computer...
    >

    > Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can
    > archive or transfer some of the data?

    Assuming the hard drive is not defective, yes. WinXP can read FAT12
    (the file system used on 3.5" diskettes), FAT16, FAT32, CDFS (the file
    system used on most CDs), and NTFS with equal facility. Further, the
    file system on any one disk/partition or diskette has absolutely no
    affect upon the operating system's ability to read other compatible file
    systems on other disks/partitions.

    > If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?

    Assuming that you connect it correctly and configure the jumpers
    switches on this hard drive and any other device on that IDE channel
    properly, yes.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    David Kowalski <daveski@optonline.net> wrote:

    >Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?
    >
    >I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
    >90's that is being updated to a new computer...
    >

    >Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can
    >archive or transfer some of the data?
    >
    >If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?
    >
    > I know that the automation used Windows 2.0 and whatever DOS was
    >current at the time..........
    >
    >I will run it as a slave of course,just to retrieve data.
    >
    >Thanks for any and all help,

    Very old hard drives sometimes cause problems if connected as a slave
    drive with a modern hard drive as the master drive on the same IDE
    controller.

    A better idea is to connect the old drive as the master drive on the
    secondary IDE channel, the one that is normally used by the CD/DVD
    drive(s). Just unplug the data and power connections to the CD/DVD
    and use these to connect the old drive.

    That avoids any possible complications with master/slave jumper
    configurations (some hard drives use a different jumper setting for
    "stand alone master drive" and for "master drive with slave present"),
    and also any complications resulting from old drive/new drive
    compatibility issues.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    The only potential problem I see (assuming the HDD is still good) is HDD
    compatibility.
    I have had older HDDS that simply would NOT work when installed with any
    other make/type of HDD.
    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!

    NotMe wrote:

    > The only potential problem I see (assuming the HDD is still good) is HDD
    > compatibility.
    > I have had older HDDS that simply would NOT work when installed with any
    > other make/type of HDD.

    Right. Often two drives that differ too much in age will not work on the
    same channel. Just put the old drive on the secondary IDE channel and it
    will work.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  7. What about using a USB drive enclosure?

    I tried doing that and Vista recognizes that hardware was plugged in, and I can see the drive in My Computer -> Manage, but it doesn't get assigned a drive letter, and my only option is to format it.

    Could these problems be because I'm using it with the USB enclosure (with my laptop)? I, too, need to recover data from an archaic computer.

    :heink:
  8. This is a 5 year old thread. If you want some help, start a new thread.
  9. This topic has been closed by Aford10

DOS Windows XP