AC Won't Work with Inspiron 4150

My son-in-law's Inspiron 4150 stopped working off of the AC
adapter. And it won't charge the battery. Tried a new AC
adapter without success.

He just departed on a business trip and left the laptop with us
to try and get it fixed. He needs the data on the machine for
his trip. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can get
it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
available part, I can probably do the repair myself.

Regards, Dan
10 answers Last reply
More about work inspiron 4150

    if u tried with another ac adapter and it didn't work either, then the
    motherboard is bad.

    Oh... remove the battery and try it with ac only before... just to be
    sure...

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    d.l.schumacher wrote:
    > My son-in-law's Inspiron 4150 stopped working off of the AC
    > adapter. And it won't charge the battery. Tried a new AC
    > adapter without success.
    >
    > He just departed on a business trip and left the laptop with us
    > to try and get it fixed. He needs the data on the machine for
    > his trip. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can get
    > it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
    > available part, I can probably do the repair myself.
    >
    > Regards, Dan

    If it is anything like my Latitude D600 its a U/S motherboard.
    If you can borrow a charged battery to test if the comp actally works on
    battery then check the Dell website for the manual for the inspiron

    Best Wishes
    Yddap

    That was one of the things he tested with replacement AC adapter.
    Did not work on AC without the battery. It looks like Quaoar's
    diagnosis (and possible solution) may be correct. I will copy
    all his files off the disk while the battery still has some power
    before attempting the fuse replacement.

    Thanks for responses.

    Regards, Dan

    "Splitskull" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    if u tried with another ac adapter and it didn't work either,
    then the
    motherboard is bad.

    Oh... remove the battery and try it with ac only before... just
    to be
    sure...

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    "d.l.schumacher" <d.l.schumacher@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
    message
    | My son-in-law's Inspiron 4150 stopped working off of the AC
    | adapter. And it won't charge the battery. Tried a new AC
    | adapter without success.
    |
    | He just departed on a business trip and left the laptop with us
    | to try and get it fixed. He needs the data on the machine for
    | his trip. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can
    get
    | it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
    | available part, I can probably do the repair myself.
    |
    | Regards, Dan

    Motherboard has failed.

    "d.l.schumacher" <d.l.schumacher@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > My son-in-law's Inspiron 4150 stopped working off of the AC
    > adapter. And it won't charge the battery. Tried a new AC
    > adapter without success.
    >
    > He just departed on a business trip and left the laptop with us
    > to try and get it fixed. He needs the data on the machine for
    > his trip. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can get
    > it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
    > available part, I can probably do the repair myself.
    >
    > Regards, Dan

    Robert,

    The computer still works on the battery, but there is less than 1
    hour of charge left.

    Regards, Dan

    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    Motherboard has failed.

    "d.l.schumacher" <d.l.schumacher@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
    message
    > My son-in-law's Inspiron 4150 stopped working off of the AC
    > adapter. And it won't charge the battery. Tried a new AC
    > adapter without success.
    >
    > He just departed on a business trip and left the laptop with us
    > to try and get it fixed. He needs the data on the machine for
    > his trip. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can
    get
    > it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
    > available part, I can probably do the repair myself.
    >
    > Regards, Dan

    OK then... We stand correct

    Motherboard is bad.

    --

    | Robert,
    |
    | The computer still works on the battery, but there is less than 1
    | hour of charge left.
    |
    | Regards, Dan

    Unfortunately, the only fix is likely to be a replacement system board. If
    the system is under warranty,
    give Dell a call to get it repaired. If it is not under warranty, be
    prepared for the cost - probably on the order of $700.

    Edward J. Neth wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the only fix is likely to be a replacement system
    > board. If the system is under warranty,
    > give Dell a call to get it repaired. If it is not under warranty, be
    > prepared for the cost - probably on the order of $700.
    >

    > "d.l.schumacher" <d.l.schumacher@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Robert,
    >>
    >> The computer still works on the battery, but there is less than 1
    >> hour of charge left.

    If the laptop works on battery, my guess is that the inline ceramic DC
    fuse is open. This is a small oblong block maybe 1/4 inch long, 1/8
    inch high and wide, surface mounted very near the AC adapter jack. This
    can be bypassed with a suitable Picofuse, maybe 8 amps, soldered across
    the conductive ends of the existing fuse case. I would only look into
    this if the warranty is expired. It is an easy fix, maybe $2 for the
    replacement fuse, maybe $10 for silver epoxy if it risky to solder in
    the area. I've done this on three laptops which are still functioning -
    only one with the epoxy. I wish I knew the mechanism for the DC
    overload, one of the laptops had a water spill, the other two are
    mysteries to me.

    You can always take out the drive and buy a connector at CompUSA to
    slave it to a desktop drive. That way, at least, the data is still
    available.
    Tom

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:49:46 GMT, "d.l.schumacher"
    <d.l.schumacher@worldnet.att.net> in his/her infinite wisdom wrote:

    >That was one of the things he tested with replacement AC adapter.
    >Did not work on AC without the battery. It looks like Quaoar's
    >diagnosis (and possible solution) may be correct. I will copy
    >all his files off the disk while the battery still has some power
    >before attempting the fuse replacement.
    >
    >Thanks for responses.
    >
    >Regards, Dan
    >
    >"Splitskull" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >if u tried with another ac adapter and it didn't work either,
    >then the
    >motherboard is bad.
    >
    >Oh... remove the battery and try it with ac only before... just
    >to be
    >sure...

    Tom,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about that.

    Regards, Dan

    wrote:

    >That was one of the things he tested with replacement AC
    adapter.
    >Did not work on AC without the battery. It looks like Quaoar's
    >diagnosis (and possible solution) may be correct. I will copy
    >all his files off the disk while the battery still has some
    power
    >before attempting the fuse replacement.
    >
    >Thanks for responses.
    >
    >Regards, Dan
    >
    >"Splitskull" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >if u tried with another ac adapter and it didn't work either,
    >then the
    >motherboard is bad.
    >
    >Oh... remove the battery and try it with ac only before... just
    >to be
    >sure...

Dell Inspiron Computers