My PC won't idle! And I think it's trying to kill me/spy on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hey all -

I have a real brain tickler of a Windows 7 issue to run by you.

I've been running Win 7 x64 on an OCZ Vertex 60GB, with FW 1.5. During a routine health check in the last couple of week , I noticed a slight drop (maybe 5%) in AS SSD results - especially random writes/reads. Which confused me, because the one-two punch of GC+TRIM had kept my performance incredibly stable prior to this. Around the same time, I noticed that my PC won't go to sleep (it's set to sleep automatically after 3 hours of idle time). Since both GC and automatic sleep don't seem to be working, I started to wonder if the machine wasn't idling correctly.

Sure enough, that seems to be the case. Keeping an eye on the box, I noticed that even when I'm logged off, not running any tasks (I even disabled MS Security Essentials), the hard disk access light was blinking periodically - a consistent, slow pulse. Convinced I was losing my mind, I would immediately check the Resource monitor and discovered that indeed, there is a consistent stream of low-level (maybe a few dozen KB/s) disk activity, all related to various system initiated processes - writing to various log and .dat files.

Even more disturbingly, there is now a corresponding amount of continuous network activity. Even with the browser closed, etc. Seriously.

I have not installed any software that would do this, nor would I need to. Like a good SSD user, I have disabled search indexing on my SSDs (although it remains enabled for my HDDs). I have installed the Intel RST 9.6 drivers recently (and was very happy with the performance initially), and that is the only user-affected change that coincides with this issue arising.

The only other thing I can think of is related to the MS spyware and Windows Anti Hack Update, as I do keep the machine routinely updated via Windows update. Like a big trusting idiot, I installed the really obnoxious KB971033 update, since I have absolutely nothing to hide, and all my software/media is paid for.

Now, I realize Windows 7 is a pretty "noisy" OS with all the stuff that is happening automagically, but this is something different. My PC used to idle reliably (ie, after a few minutes of being left alone, the disk access light would stop showing, the machine would sleep eventually, GC seemed to be working well, etc), and now it doesn't.

Something has changed. What, I wonder? Any thoughts? I have the ugly suspicion that something vaguely awful is happening behind the scenes here.

Any thoughts?

One. Nothing you wrote has purpose or makes any sense.

I noticed that even when I'm logged off, not running any tasks (I even disabled MS Security Essentials), the hard disk access light was blinking periodically - a consistent, slow pulse. Convinced I was losing my mind, I would immediately check the Resource monitor and discovered that indeed, there is a consistent stream of low-level (maybe a few dozen KB/s) disk activity, all related to various system initiated processes - writing to various log and .dat files.

Amazing. The system is on and the LED hard drive activity light blinks. And that convinces you you lost your mind? You may need help should you learn turning the system completely off shuts down the hard drive and any normal activity that occurs no matter if it is Windows 7 or Windows ME is installed. The system is powered up, the hard drive is active with the entire operating system running which is installed on the hard drive.

I have the ugly suspicion that something vaguely awful is happening behind the scenes here.

Behind the scene? I would hate to have you set in the corner. LOL. If it bothers you that the HD LED activity light shows activity when the system is powered on and you think some of the 'tweaks' you are doing is causing it, reinstall Windows 7 and DON'T TOUCH IT. And remember, the hard drive is powered on and operable with Windows 7 loaded to desktop when the system is powered up even if you are logged off.

hodmokrin

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I know you said you have some virus software, but you should download a couple more, and scan. I have customers all day long who have norton/mcaffee/etc, and they bring me their machines with updated virus software, and they still get plenty of viruses.

Try free.avg.com Malwarebytes.com gmer.net

Are windows updates turned off? Constant network activity can be windows update, or a virus.

Haven't really worked with ssd hds before, so you could be on the right track. Good luck

andrewa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Thank you Hodmorkin - I have tried all three of those programs (as well as MS Security Essentials) and even with their most comprehensive scanning options, nothing came up. If it is a botnet of some kind, the little bastard is cleverly hidden. I have, however, determined that the issue is not related to an AFD post ;).

A note to the moderators: Did my reply to badge really get deleted? If so, why is his utterly obnoxious post not been deleted? His reply was belligerent, condescending and virtually unrelated to the content of my post, which clearly demonstrated that a real issue has manifested. That I pointed that out, and then politely offered to share my positive experiences with the rest of the forum strikes me as a very reasonable reply.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
On my home workstation I don't have any SSD's just regular drives but even if you have SSD indexing disabled and have indexing enabled on your other drives you will still see the HD light flicker when it is working. If you have windows 7 there is an activity monitor you go to and it will show you not only the HD activity but what specific file or files are being accessed during the activity. Look in the Resource Monitor under Control panel - Performance Information and Tools - Advanced Tools

Take a break. If anything should be deleted it's this meaningless thread you started.

My PC won't idle! And I think it's trying to kill me/spy on me.

Read what you wrote. I was kind when you asked, "any thoughts?" Think about what you are saying. Your computer is trying to kill/spy on you! Talk about unrelated? My message is related to the drivvle of your premise and the shallow thoughtlessness of your original question. What you should do is run the tub full. Step in with your mankiller/spy Windows 7 machine. Plug it in and and relax. Don't call me names and decribe me as obnoxious and belligerent when it is you who says, "I think my windows 7 machine is trying to kill/spy on me". It's your original post that suggests the epitome of stupidity. Your hard drive LED activity light is blinking, the machine is booted to desktop and you wonder what is running in the background to cause the LED light to blink? Like I said, it's probably because the OS is loaded to desktop and it makes no difference if it is Windows 7 or Windows ME. Imagine that? I gave you the definitive answer. A second time. Take a break.

EDIT for writer's embellishments.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Relax. Right now you are just being incredibly rude. Go get some sleep, no matter how trivial and ridiculous the OPs questions may seem to you, you had no reason to reply as you did....my goodness, where are peoples manners nowdays?

You are incredibally belligerent and obnoxious on this otherwise incredibally fine day. You and andrew an item? Put on a colorful dress and go shopping. Try to foget your purpose on the Forum other than being completely worthless.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

*Yaaaawn*

Come on, surely you can do better than that? I've heard better insults from mute donkeys.
A quote that would be suitable for this occasion:

"take a look at the pathetic mess you call your life."

Pride is not something pretty....

Moderators, please lock. If you wish, you can let Badge come with another meaningless insult if you think it'll make him feel better....

Upendra09

Distinguished
hhahaahh

I lol'd

i totally agree with badge here, the OP is either a troll or is a huge paranoid mess

Cobot, there is a line between being polite and just licking everyone's shoes.

Badge was right, if you post something like your computers trying to kill you, you are bound to get a smart answer right back.

so cobot, try reading his post and tell me it doesn't make you wonder whether he is sober or not

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

I respectfully disagree. What does "licking everyones shoes" have to do with this?

You can choose to either be polite or be rude. Bootlicking as such has little to do with that.

People get all upset for nothing. Is it because modern man is more "emotionally sensitive"? Or is it because their lives are so dull and void of real human interaction that they have to inflate every little thing that happens?
Who knows? Honestly - I don't care either. But I do know that it does not bode well for the future...

Reported.

Good for you.

Now this is really off-topic, sorry for that....

Back on topic: To the OP,
No need for the paranoia. As mentioned before, reinstall the OS if you are still unsure, or try to find out what is happpening using a software like hijackthis.

Status
Not open for further replies.