What could stop Windows from finding a pilot for a plug 'n..

Hi

I have Windows installed twice on my computer.

My main installation doesn't seem able to recognize what I assume is a plug
'n play device.

The first time it concerned a MPEG3 player and this time it's a external HD
(working cos it is installed on the second O/S)

The first installation may have a compatibility problem as a lot of
peripherals are installed.

Nevertheless, I'd like to know what are the most common issues stopping
Windows from recognizing such devices.

I've tried manual installations indicating the folder where the drivers are,
and semi-automatic indicating the type of device.

Always the same result. Windows can not find driver.

Even checked to see the two driver files are there (got the names from the
second installation which works and then checked for them in the first
installation)

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Dave Neve wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Windows installed twice on my computer.
>
> My main installation doesn't seem able to recognize what I assume is a plug
> 'n play device.
>
> The first time it concerned a MPEG3 player and this time it's a external HD
> (working cos it is installed on the second O/S)
>
> The first installation may have a compatibility problem as a lot of
> peripherals are installed.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd like to know what are the most common issues stopping
> Windows from recognizing such devices.
>
> I've tried manual installations indicating the folder where the drivers are,
> and semi-automatic indicating the type of device.
>
> Always the same result. Windows can not find driver.
>
> Even checked to see the two driver files are there (got the names from the
> second installation which works and then checked for them in the first
> installation)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave Neve

On some devices, for it to install correctly, you need to install the
driver first (especially true for some USB devices) for it to be
recognised. If you plug the device in first, sometimes it will refuse
to acknowledge the driver is for the device!

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Hi

As far as I know, Windows should simply recognize this type of device so the
driver must be there already
I've tried to download the latest version of Windows drivers but I can't
find them.
Problem is that the Microsoft site and others ask for the manufacturer's
name.
But I want the standard universal driver which recognizes all these devices.
Have I misunderstood sth completely?

Thanks
MnkNe.10409$CM.9147@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...