How do I clean off my CPU?

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I had some motherboard problems over the weekend and had to remove my CPU and heatsink. I have a boxed Intel P4 CPU and heatsink.

I gather that I have to remove the thermal pad that came attached the heatsink because it is now damaged, as well as remove the residue that is on the CPU. What is the best way to do this? And then I will need to apply some kind of thermal paste as well?

Thanks.

Reza

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
You can simply clean it with alcohol. Don't worry if it makes any contacts to the pins, as alcohol will evaporate. And you should apply the paste after it is cleaned. Just be carful when removing the CPU, as your fan maybe stuck to your CPU.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I went and ordered some Arctic Silver III. I will be applying this to the CPU and heatsink as instructed on their website (once I get my motherboard back from the RMA).
They say that I need to use acetone or 99% ispropyl alcohol on the CPU and acetone or a xylene based cleaner on the heatsink.
What the heck is xylene? What kind of a store can I find it at? Also, the computer shop in town doesn't sell any kind of CPU cleaner and the drug store only sells 70-80% pure isopropyl alcohol. What is a good place to find the appropriate cleaners for my CPU and heatsink?

Any help is appreciated.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Don't know much about Xylene, but acetone can be bought pretty cheaply in the form of Nail Polish remover. Get some without perfumes and protein additives, though, or you may beloved patriot up the works.
-Brett

TRENDING THREADS